Notices

I thought I was chasing the buzz

Old 11-10-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I thought I was chasing the buzz

Initially I drank for the Buzz, then realised that the buzz started to get further and further away, so I needed more alcohol to get the buzz. Not realising that right behind me, anxiety was creeping upon me.

I only now discovered recently that after years of abuse, I was really drinking to run away from anxiety and not really because I was chasing the buzz!

I had no real issues in my life, Good Job, Loving Family, but the alcohol gave me the anxiety and then it made me drink more to get away from itself, what an evil piece of sh1t it is. That’s what you call the spiral affect I guess!

I can see why after several months/years of sobriety people forget about the anxiety and actually believe they are missing the the buzz. But equally why it becomes easier with time, to stay sober as the anxiety eases!!

God bless you all with strength
Old 11-10-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living Sober

I was really drinking to run away from anxiety and not really because I was chasing the buzz!
That was sort of my position as well. I did chase the buzz, but I also used the booze to tame any of the anxieties that I might have had.

What I, too, have learned is how the excess drinking was a main player in my anxiety and once I stopped, things really seem to improve.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is the paradox of alcohol abuse... Many of us (myself included) start off as harmlessly as anyone else, drinking for the buzz/enjoyment. One day we get the idea that a drink relieves anxiety and we start using it to self medicate*. This works for a while, until it progresses to the point where alcohol is actually causing more anxiety than its relieving, and then we are locked into the desperate downward spiral... Unable to enjoy it, unable to feel well drunk or sober, not knowing anything to do but keep drinking, until we eventually bottom out. My bottom took me to the hospital, others takes them to the morgue.

*This is the point where "normal" drinkers start down the road to problem drinking, IMHO.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have found myself in the same way--drinking never used to cause
me such anxiety and panic as it does now. Over the last year the aftermath of drinking has changed tremendously. I am now always beyond depressed and panicked after binge drinking and had resorted to drinking more just to "chase" those feelings away....but it only staves them of for a bit. It's an ugly, ugly cycle.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The thing is most of our reasons now, except for the obsession, is largely relieved by simply not drinking.
That’s the way so many get comfortable with themselves and it’s great.

BE WELL
Old 11-11-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have changed anti-anxiety meds so many times, as I was never completely honest with my Dr. about my alcohol intake. Who knew that the alcohol was causing the anxiety? ! So glad to have that crushing feeling / not being able to take a deep breath unless I was 4 glasses in gone.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi MiniBK it becomes so apparant once we sober up

Well done
Old 11-11-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

just addressing the buzz here.

you ever sit in a hot bath? When you first get in you start with your toes and ease in because the water is so hot. But you finally get accustomed to it and soak for a bit. soon the water starts to 'cool down' and you add more hot water to get that feeling of warmth back. the longer you soak in the tub the more hot water you have to add to feel the warmth. you're soaking in a tub thinking you need to add more and more hot water to get that feeling of warmth. Yet someone reaches into that same water you are soaking in and burns their hand because the water is scalding hot. you don't even realize how hot the water is after a while.

that's the same thing as chasing the buzz.

If someone drank as much as [you] needed to feel the buzz after a while, they would most likely be rushed to the hospital close to a coma. Yet we (some of us) did this to ourselves unwittingly on a daily basis.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
If someone drank as much as [you] needed to feel the buzz after a while, they would most likely be rushed to the hospital close to a coma. Yet we (some of us) did this to ourselves unwittingly on a daily basis.

I think my dosage would knock out an elephant!! Nice Example!!