Notices

The weekends are always tougher to beat.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The weekends are always tougher to beat.

The biggest challenge for my sobriety were the weekends, in my dark times I usually started to drink on Friday and only ended on Sunday night, next day I would feel so horrible and guilty, with symptoms similar to depression and feeling really worthless. It was really difficult to keep my sobriety during these days, I stayed mostly at home watching movies and playing video games, but I wanted to drink so badly, and I´m so glad today I didn't . Any of you share something in common with my story related to weekends?
Old 11-10-2014, 12:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was a weekend warrior too...gradually my weekends began to start thursdays then wednesdays...ended up an all day everyday drinker.

I'm glad those days are behind me.

D
Old 11-10-2014, 12:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, the weekends are toughest for me, especially since my husband still drinks, and he drinks more on the weekends.

Similar to Dee, I eventually began to drink on Thursdays, and then eventually was becoming an everyday drinker since I wanted that feeling each day. If I was not drinking on a particular day, I would obsess during the week about when I would drink again. It feels so good to finally be getting out of this trap.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

For me it always started on Friday nights, that was the big night!!! Straight from work, down the bar/restaurant/pub, bottle of wine-each!!!. Then really start the night off. Get home, pissed already, get changed, then out with different set of boozer mates, right through until 2 or 3 in the morning.

Needless to say the next day I always felt terrible!! I drank so much: at least another bottle of wine, then onto vodkas (always large ones) then if the party was on; shots!!!! I truly do not know how I didn't kill myself. I'm not a big girl I'm an 8st(112lb) girl. I truly believe that I don't know how I was able to consume so much and still live to tell the tale.

I cannot believe today how I lived that life. I used to do sessions midweek & get up for work (feeling like death) and still do it all over again. Today, of course I couldn't do it even if I had the desire to. When I look back I was so sick, what normal sane person would want to do that to themselves????
Old 11-10-2014, 12:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm currently battling weekend binging, with f##k up after f##k up weekend after weekend I'm still very new here and trying this recovery thing. I never drink during the week anymore. Simply because I don't think I could handle the next day at work anymore. Weekends though they're definitely a killer for sure. While I am only 23 with a good life I think I need to stop sooner rather than later. I wish I could give you advice but I myself am still trying this. So all I can say is good luck to you!

There are plenty of people here to give advice if you need it
Old 11-10-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My last weekend past was hard. But i got there.

As I am and was not working it seemed i would drink every second day, didnt matter what day, I just wanted to destroy myself. My peak craving times are/were around 11-12. I rarely feel like starting to drink during the evening night.

Alcohol free: Day 18

Has anyone else had this experience?
Old 11-10-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was a Thursday to Sunday drinker for a long time. But the hangovers started to get worse and I was a mess during the week at work so I just began to drink every night pretty much as a way to 'relax' after work.

Interestingly, my parents were/are daily drinkers. Growing up I thought it was normal to start drinking as soon as you get in the door from work. My parents are retired but still drink daily. They wait no longer than 5:01pm to get their first drink. In their minds, if they wait until 5pm, then they aren't alcoholics.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Daily drinker here. So every day was a challenge. But I got through them. And so can you. The day of the week should hold no power over you drinking or not. It's in your hands.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was a "weekend warrior" as well. Used to go straight to the bar at 5pm on Fridays and wouldn't get home until 2am. Then I began day-drinking on the weekends at home, and became so addicted that I quit my job in order to drink at home full time.

Things can unravel fast with this addiction and you can get in over your head very quickly. I try and do lots of new and exciting things in sobriety - gives me something valuable to lose.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My weekends were varied. I usually worked weekends so getting home on monday morning could have been the start of my weekend. Getting home from night shift after 12 hours and trying to sleep was difficult. Enter beer. I was on my second beer when normal people were pulling out of their driveway headed to work. Too many years of that.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sunday football seems to be my downfall, not any fun without a buzz going on.