Notices

Rough day

Old 11-09-2014, 10:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Justme

Rough day

Stayed home this weekend, was feeling positive because a few times got tempted to go out. But it felt great to wake up with a clear head and no regrets. However, just sat here thinking of all the stupid things I've done and start to feel I wasted so much time being a sloppy drunk on my binge drinking moments that it's hard to forgive myself and not feel ashamed of those embarrassing moments. Trying to stay positive!!!
Old 11-09-2014, 10:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I have free time, I try and go to an AA meeting that I like to be around other people and listen to their stories. This takes me out of my obsessive mind and gives me a break.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have trouble with rumination too. I have so much shame and regret that I never dealt with. 10 months sober and the memories are flooding back. Gives me insomnia.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

one thing I had to learn was I can't go back and re-do my past...so thinking about it is futile in that respect.

I can learn the lessons from my past tho and use them to make me the best me and today the best day it can be.

Moving forward and rebuilding my life, making something of it, helped me get over the wreckage of my past

It's not and instant process - it takes time - but do try and focus on the now not the then. You'll get somewhere I promise

D
Old 11-10-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thinking about what you missed in the past is one of the paths back to drinking.

I've found it so much more productive to start thinking about happy times or things that are beautiful, a sunset, fall leaves, a beautiful woman. Staying positive and in the present will train your brain to be happy.

When I started I would wake up every day and just be happy I was alive despite the condition of the rest of my life. My list grows everyday and it is easier and easier to put myself in a positive mood.

It works, you just have to stick with it and honestly be grateful for every little breath of life.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Among other things, there were two huge items I carried into sobriety which could have dragged me back to drinking. One was the disgusting and shameful memories of the things I did while drunk. The many times I betrayed my own values. The other was the people I hurt who I now could not face. I lived in fear of an unplanned meeting, a hand on my shoulder.

These things visited me every night when I tried to sleep. It didn't matter how good I was that day, the skeletons in the closet haunted me every night. That's not sobriety, it was a living hell. I came to see it was a crazy idea to think that I could just forget all this stuff, just push it into the back ground like it never happened, pretend that as I was suffering from a disease it wasn't my fault and there is nothing I can do about it. I knew an attitude like that would take me back to drinking.

There is no question in my mind that I had to face the past and do my best to straighten it out. Pay my debts, make my amends. The very thought scared the hell out of me, but it saved my life, and allowed me to rejoin the human race. Free at last.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justme View Post
Stayed home this weekend, was feeling positive because a few times got tempted to go out. But it felt great to wake up with a clear head and no regrets. However, just sat here thinking of all the stupid things I've done and start to feel I wasted so much time being a sloppy drunk on my binge drinking moments that it's hard to forgive myself and not feel ashamed of those embarrassing moments. Trying to stay positive!!!
Use them embarrassing moments to remind yourself why you have stopped and
how positive you are now
Old 11-11-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hang in there JM you can do this trust me dont drink and watch your life get better
Old 11-11-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've done stupid stuff sober too, lol.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justme View Post
Sounds exactly similar to my current situation. I have recently given up my binge drinking episodes because of the physical(hangover) and emotional(regrets/stupidity) that come as a consequence.

Congrats on a sober weekend!
Old 11-11-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If I was to have a drink hoping it would solve every stupid thing I did when I was drinking I would never be sober.

We all did horrible things, acted like fools, puked in the wrong place, slept in the wrong beds, fell off many bar stools and yelled at the wrong people. There are many things we have done but can’t remember because of black outs.

It is the past and there is nothing we can do right now, drinking included, to change it. Drinking will not make it better and it has the possibility to make it worse because we can add a new embarrassing drunk episode to our list. Don’t make the list longer.

Get to a meeting or do some type of recovery work. Get active and get out of your head. It is dangerous in there!