Notices

almost 6 months and a new zone

Old 07-30-2004, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

almost 6 months and a new zone

I have gone 6 months now and havent had a drop, I am very determined and made it through some very very tempting moments

After the detox stage, I was sleeping like a baby, work was going well and udually fri and sat nights were the toughest mentally. But now I am over that

In the last 2 months or so that lovely sleep is starting to go, I dont know why! but I feel exhausted all the tiime. and another thing, I drank so much wine and beer and eat so much junk food pizzas and stuff when I was drinking I thought I would lose a pile of weight when I quit, I am 6'1" and 220Ibs , and my weight ss more or less stayed the same! as when i was drinking, I suppose I didnt eat much on days after heave binges so it all balances out.

Last night for the first time since I quit I actually considered drinking, I wanted to drink before but i was determined not to give in, last night I got thoughts of getting drunk and the hardline absolute determination was fading, I was out cycling around the city out of boredom and I just got home out of it to avoid oing something I would regret. I am going to go to a meeting tomorrow I think and talk to some of the experienced AA people, I havent given AA a proper go, I have been to about 5 meetings altogether, dont have a sponser etc. not doing the steps and i am worried I will fail

anyway, 6 months birthday in 2 days.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Roy, I'm sure I remember a similar dip at six months or so - which was the time I first came online and found SR. Felt like all the benefits and come and gone and things weren't ever going to be right.
I was still dreaming I was drunk, and waking up with a hangover. If you stay sober you're going to get better, go back to the drink... oh no, not a nice thought.

Hang in there Roy. You don't want to be doing those six months again.

And besides, German beer is pants ;-)

Deg.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by roy!
I have gone 6 months now and havent had a drop, I am very determined and made it through some very very tempting moments

After the detox stage, I was sleeping like a baby, work was going well and udually fri and sat nights were the toughest mentally. But now I am over that

In the last 2 months or so that lovely sleep is starting to go, I dont know why! but I feel exhausted all the tiime. and another thing, I drank so much wine and beer and eat so much junk food pizzas and stuff when I was drinking I thought I would lose a pile of weight when I quit, I am 6'1" and 220Ibs , and my weight ss more or less stayed the same! as when i was drinking, I suppose I didnt eat much on days after heave binges so it all balances out.

Last night for the first time since I quit I actually considered drinking, I wanted to drink before but i was determined not to give in, last night I got thoughts of getting drunk and the hardline absolute determination was fading, I was out cycling around the city out of boredom and I just got home out of it to avoid oing something I would regret. I am going to go to a meeting tomorrow I think and talk to some of the experienced AA people, I havent given AA a proper go, I have been to about 5 meetings altogether, dont have a sponser etc. not doing the steps and i am worried I will fail

anyway, 6 months birthday in 2 days.
Hi Roy, and congratulations on your 6 months of sobriety

Roy, what you are feeling is pretty common, and in fact there is name of it in the halls of AA......its called: "A Pink Cloud"

When the pink cloud begins to wear thin, and reality begins to set in, the old anxious, irritable and discontent feelings return with a vengence.

When I first got sober, I felt so high, just on life, on the very idea that I wasn't drinking, I wasn't feeling like crap on a daily basis, the guilt and the remorse of waking up with hangovers, confusion, self-hatred, and feeling less than .... was gone.......... for the moment. I was so thrilled with being sober that I was looking through rosey rosey glasses.

The Pink Cloud does crash, and this crash seems to bring with it the thoughts and feelings of........Is this all there is?

Well Roy, no this isn't all there is. There is work and more work to be done.

I would suggest getting to as many AA meetings as you can, and do find a sponsor to help guide you. What you are feeling is what every newly sober person feels, that the world is just the most wonderful place and everything in it is simply FANTASTIC. lol

Thank God for the time that has been given you to know that sobriety is the answer, and I would also caution to keep it up front, that a drink is not the answer, and that the Pink Cloud always crashes, and that simply means that the time has come to do the work, the real work, the inside work. There is a solution Roy, and its in the Big Book, the 12 Steps of this wonderful program.

God Bless and know that you are not alone, that we have all been on that wonderful Pink Cloud, and that it does go away, and what we are left with is reality. The reality of staying sober one day at a time, Trusting your HP, doing the inside work with a sponsor, and then passing it on.

Patsy