Notices

I need to stop drinking.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to stop drinking.

I need to stop drinking, not only for myself but also for my 7 months pregnant girlfriend that can't endure myself and my problems anymore. Alcohol isn't my only dependence but the one that affects us the most here at home I think and it needs to go.

The thing I am most worried about is to see my daughter and my girlfriend that despite all our problems I love oh-so-much being taken away from me. We are still very young, both in our early twenties and are both not natives of the country that we live in, if she decides to leave me she will have to go back to France as she is not financially independent and I cannot afford to rent 2 places at once. With the baby coming I feel stuck, I feel like I am not allowed enough time. I feel helpless. I often wonder how stupid someone like myself can be, realising such obvious things such as my alcoholism so late, just about when my world is about to collapse. My girlfriend will soon need as much support as she can get from me and I am afraid I ran out of time to get all that energy my daughter and my girlfriend are gonna need from me.

It just seems impossible to say that tonight I won't be drinking my daily dose of whiskey. As much as I'd like to say it so truthfully, temptation always get the last word. Not much point to this thread honestly, just another story. Best of luck to everyone living similar things.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Typical. I, and most others here on SR understand exactly where you are coming from. The despair, the helplessness, the shame, etc. It's great that you want to make a change, and it is possible - for anyone. Have you tried quitting before?
Old 11-07-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Typical - welcome - you'll find a lot of support here

Seems to me like all that stuff you're worried about won't happen if you stay sober...I'm not saying it's easy but it is possible to beat temptation...if you're prepared to give it your all and make whatever changes in your life are necessary...

No need to worry about time either - you can start today, if you want to

Glad you found us

D
Old 11-07-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, typical. It's never too late to change your drinking habits but there is no better time than now.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! How about you make today day 1? It's worth it!
Old 11-07-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Typical- Welcome!

It sounds like you have a lot of reasons to perhaps re-think your relationship with alcohol, which it sounds like you're doing now. That's huge!

I don't know how much your girlfriend knows about your situation with booze, bet perhaps a real honest conversation might be in order? Maybe explain to her what's really going on, and how you're taking steps to better things?

...realising such obvious things such as my alcoholism so late,
The point is you're taking a step to improve, and at a pretty young age. Heck of lot younger then I was before I finally woke up.

This will not be easy, but it will be worth it. Spend time in here, and I think it might very well help. There's a lot of support and I hope to see you around.

Lusher
Old 11-07-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You're among friends who understand Typical. I really hope you'll stay with us and keep posting. We care about you.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

A temptation can't pour a glass and drink it. Don't give the temptation a hand.