Notices

78.5% sober

Old 11-05-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

78.5% sober

I've been reviewing my progress in 2014 and I have worked out that I drank for 30 days, up to the end of August.

That means I was 78.5% sober in the first eight months of the year.

Since the end of August, I haven't drunk at all so I've been 100% sober.

Of course, not every time I drank did I get really drunk and mess things up. But there were several sessions with horrid consequences including going to hospital, nearly getting arrested and a whole lot of other problems.

It's quite interesting using statistics to look at what's happened this year although it does look a bit as though I'm marking an exam rather than choosing to live life differently.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by endlesspatience View Post
I've been reviewing my progress in 2014 and I have worked out that I drank for 30 days, up to the end of August.

That means I was 78.5% sober in the first eight months of the year.

Since the end of August, I haven't drunk at all so I've been 100% sober.

Of course, not every time I drank did I get really drunk and mess things up. But there were several sessions with horrid consequences including going to hospital, nearly getting arrested and a whole lot of other problems.

It's quite interesting using statistics to look at what's happened this year although it does look a bit as though I'm marking an exam rather than choosing to live life differently.
First of all, well done on 2 months. Actually you did better than 78.5% January thru August. At the end of August there were 243 days in 2014. You drank 30 of those days, so you had 213 sober days. 213/243 = 87.65%. Or conversely, you were intoxicated 30/243 = 12.35% of that time period.

But realistically statistics only tell part of the story. That's because for many of us, the consequences of drinking can be so horrendous that any drinking time above 0.0% could be incredibly disastrous and even life threatening.

Look at this way, what if you put a bullet in your head only once in 50 years of your life. That means you shot yourself one day out of 18,250 days, which is .000055%. That's very low. Of course, you would be dead and therefore, unable to enjoy that particular stat.

Yes, my example is extreme, but not so much for those of us who can't handle our alcohol. For many of us, a drink is almost the same as putting a gun to one's head.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great response - and thanks for picking up on my poor mathematics!
Old 11-05-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dont tell me...

...let me guess.

You work for the United States Government...RIGHT ???

They are MASTERS at telling you a pile of horse s**t is the best thing you can possibly stock up on !

Dont "Juggle" the numbers to make yourself look good...or feel good.

If you're drinking...you're STILL DRINKING !

Duh (hope I'am finally coming to my senses) Dave
Old 11-05-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done on ur sober time!
Old 11-05-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

you either drink or you do not.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I actually drank quite a bit less in 2014 than any other year since 2005. In my experience though if I drank one day and then did not drink for three days I was very sick for those three days. I was shaky, dehydrated, and there was no peace of mind. Back when I thought that I could still drink every now and then I didn't add in that hangover time. At the end I was just so sick that if I drink once I felt like crap for a week.

Good for you for the hundred percent since August. That is true sobriety. I find it so much easier just to not drink at all then to try and drink a little bit. When we try and drink just every now and then I found that I would obsess about the times I would drink and then be incredibly depressed when I was hung over. It was no way to live. Great job again on the sobriety since August!
Old 11-05-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Do The Math

Brilliant, FeenixxRising!

100.dot.zero percent of the times I did something monumentally stupid, I was hammered.

My Standard Deviation from this truism was zero.

This all reminds of the non-possibility of being 'a little bit Pregnant'.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Brilliant, FeenixxRising!

100.dot.zero percent of the times I did something monumentally stupid, I was hammered.
Same here. When I back over the last 5 years or so, I realize that without exception all my serious problems were directly related to my drinking.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I actually drank quite a bit less in 2014 than any other year since 2005. In my experience though if I drank one day and then did not drink for three days I was very sick for those three days. I was shaky, dehydrated, and there was no peace of mind. Back when I thought that I could still drink every now and then I didn't add in that hangover time. At the end I was just so sick that if I drink once I felt like crap for a week.
I was a binge drinker. Every 7-10 days I would tie one on with alcohol and often other substances. I'd then spend a day or two recovering. Then once I felt better physically, I would obsess about drinking for another 5 days or so. And then I eventually gave in to the urges and drank--starting the cycle all over again.

So yes, I had more sober days than drunk days, but even when sober, alcohol still ruled my life in one way or another pretty much ever single day
Old 11-05-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by endlesspatience View Post
Great response - and thanks for picking up on my poor mathematics!
I'm glad you have 2 months under your belt endless. Keep at it.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm a bit of an analytics guy myself and did very similar calculations. Basically about 30 binge drunk days in 2013 and 330 days sober. I guess I needed to go through the sickness of these binges to see how much better sober is.

It really is a no brainer how much better life is at 100% sober. Good luck and keep at it !
Old 11-05-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudgin

For whomever did not drink Today, that is 100 % and we are all winners!
We are all just one drink away, by grace alone.....

Keep up the good work and let's hit 100% tomorrow = the next Today!

fly
Old 11-06-2014, 01:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think you're doing very well, Endless.
Well done
Old 11-06-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi.
If we want to in general feel better 100% of the time we don’t drink one day at a time in a row.

BE WELL