Notices

Absolute hell 😁

Old 11-03-2014, 11:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I guys I just want to put you in picture and ask some advice, this forum has been amazing for me right now so here goes......I started drinking when I was a teen but only 'normal' levels, and it was quite sporadic! I have had the last year I would say (I'm 33) of drinking daily (with the exception of a few days here and there where I've been testing myself to stop)! Anyways went through a really horrid break up few months ago and had to move myself and kids out of our family home as well as start a new job....I only moved 2 weeks ago. I literally started hammering the drink two bottles of wine a day (with cans of lager as well) I know I was doing this to block my emotions.....anyways believe it or not I thought I had my drinking in control that when I was in a better place I would just stop.....Saturday night I had a bottle of wine got into bed and woke up a few hours later in complete withdrawal state, I tried to have a drink but just brought it all back up,....I was rocking back and forth pacing the house convinced if I closed my eyes I would die....I put up with this state for 12 hours before I gave in and rang a doctor! I was rushed to hospital and given the drip with vitamins and a benzo to receive withdrawal and home I came. I went to my doctor next day who referred me to alcohol team, I rang them and they explained about how if I continued to feel poorly with withdrawal to have small amounts of alcohol....however I've now done nearly 72 hours without and I'm waking up in a terrible state at night (sweating and anxious) and obviously insomnia I've been pretty much awake for 3 days....my question is has anyone else just completely abstained (after of course seeing a professional) how long can I expect these symptoms to keep going on? What were your experiences.....surely after 72 hours I should be over the worst? Help i don't want to have to take a drink now when I have abstained for this long......I mentally don't want one at all not after my initial withdrawal saturday evening 😁
Old 11-04-2014, 12:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

people are different sapphire - there's no right answer to how long will this last.

It was not uncommon for me, by the end, to feel bad for a week.

D
Old 11-04-2014, 12:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I drank everyday as well. About 12 units of alcohol. I had day and night sweats for about a week. Everything was about a week. I felt like a zombie, happy to be sober so i had moments of joy yet incredibly angry and depressed at the same time.

After three days I thought what the heck? What's with all that three day detox talk? All I can say is that it does get better with time. The last time I drank after a period of sobriety the hangover was about eight times worse than normal. So don't drink again. The whole week of withdrawals started again also. I am at for months now and feel much much better but it did take quite a long time.

As long as you do not drink any alcohol you're doing everything right.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on 72h it took me around ten days and that was just to feel normalish again

Congrats
Old 11-04-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you are here.

Early sobriety is a shaky time.

Please stay with it and hang around here as well.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Everyone is different, of course. Within a couple weeks I was much better and approaching somewhat of a sober state as opposed to undrunk.

Glad you're here! 3 days is a great start!! We all started where you are now......

Welcome
Fly
Old 11-04-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ahhhh thanks everyone think my body has had a shock I was having about 25 units a day which is obviously not good :-( I think the anxiety is causing the pains in my stomach and the feelings of panic as if my hearts banging out my chest, think I just convinced myself I would have a seizure (adding to the anxiety)! Back to work tomorrow a new focus and a new goal, just me and my kids I won't ever let another guy bring me down to this kind of level ever again....I will say if I could handle my break up which involved physical abuse and mental abuse again I would do it sober....hindsight is a wonderful thing :-)