Notices

Help I can't stop drinking again

Old 11-02-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help I can't stop drinking again

Hi I am not doing well at all. I have been drinking daily. Yesterday I even prayed that I would not drink. But I still talked myself into doing so. I think it has to do with this new crazy patient I have . I spend all day there basically and then by the time I get out to do my last patient all I can think about it drinking. Also things have been rough with my relationship with my daughter. which is also something that drinking only worsens. The sad thing is I was sober for a long time. And one day out of nowhere I just decided to drink and I haven't been able to stop since then. I am already getting that bloated look on my face and belly I always get when I drink. I feel sick with myself. But I don't know what to do or what I was doing before to not drink. I used to look forward to coming home and watching my shows. Now I have no concentration or motivation to watch tv. I am going to try walking today and see if that helps. Any help would be appreciate it. I know I need to get my ass to a meeting but somehow I don't think that is going to help right now as my drinking is more related to anxiety at this moment.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Violet,

I think that many people find it very hard to stop when they have begun to drink after a lengthy period of sobriety. My suggestion is to try doing the things you used to do to break the habit of drinking. Just jump in and watch the tv shows you used to watch, pick up a book and read it, go out for a walk, take a class, do whatever it takes to get through the day without drinking.

I hope you can find another way to deal with the stresses from your job. Are you able to get away for a break or two during the day? That might help a bit. And, relationships between Moms and daughters can often be a minefield, but you know that alcohol is never going to help.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I agree. I AM EVEN ON A NEW MEDICATION for my bipolar disorder and this hasn't even helped me stop. Yesterday I left the beauty salon and went strait to burger king so I would eat a meal (dinner) before taking the drink. Yet I still went and bought the wine and chugged it down before the meal. This is awful. I wish I could find the strength to say no and not act on it. Just for today. I am going to try to be on the forum today as much as possible and NOT DRINK TODAY! PLEASE GOD HELP ME. I DO NOT WANT TO BE THIS PERSON ANYMORE!
Old 11-02-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by violetflame View Post
I know I need to get my ass to a meeting but somehow I don't think that is going to help right now as my drinking is more related to anxiety at this moment.
I think in a lot of cases,anxiety is related to drinking.Not the other way around. It's a catch 22. But AA can help with that.
The title of your post isn't gonna help much help either. The fact is,you CAN stop drinking. If I can do it anyone can.
Going for a walk is a good thing to take your mind off of it. But you won't always be able to go for a walk when a craving strikes.
I left a lot of AA meetings wanting to drink more when I left than when I went in. But it somehow gave me the strength to not drink. It kept the fact fresh in my mind that I had a commitment not to drink. When a craving comes we forget very quickly that we have a goal to not drink.
All you have to do is not pick up the first drink. Drinking will not help anxiety. It will make it worse. It will not help anything.
Fred
Old 11-02-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good idea to stay here Violet- read and post and support will be a keystroke away.

Problems with my teenage son were always a trigger for me as well, but I've found that my son and I have much less discord since I've stopped drinking. I'm able to be less reactive and to communicate better with him. And all the while I thought drinking was helping me handle the situation.

It's scary how drinking can take over our lives, and we wonder what we can do to magically get back to the place where it had no hold over us. But it's never that easy - at first - but one promise you can count on from everyone here - it gets better even quicker than you'd expect, if you don't pick up the first drink.

Earlyriser
Old 11-02-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe you could join our "24 Hour Connections" thread in the Newcomers section.

Make a commitment here every day that you will not drink for 24 hours. I think you would agree that we can all do it for 24 hours. That's all.

One day at a time you will begin to feel better. I agree that the anxiety is caused by the alcohol. The longer you stay away from it, the less anxiety.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
learning to live

Hi Violet.

I know it sounds so simple but you simply have to do whatever it takes not to drink one day at a time.

I have been in the same boat as you MANY times. It's hard to put it down those first few days. But, you have to know if you truly want to be sober and live a better life putting it down no matter what your addicted brain tells you is the ONLY thing to do to get past this. You have to go through to get out.

I usually scream at my AV when he/she/it comes demanding me to drink. I make a game with it and think this is MY life. No voice is gonna rule me. Just scream SHUT UP it helps. Sounds silly.

You can end this madness any time. Sure, the first days will be uncomfortable but you have to go through that to get to sobriety.

You can do this! So many people have!!

Im rooting for you. Stay close to SR and make plans of what to do instead of drinking.

Make your desire to be sober stronger than that false desire to drink and be drunk!
Old 11-02-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You haven't been able to stop drinking YET, buy you CAN, violet. You have already proven that to yourself.

Walking sounds like a great idea (maybe ask your daughter to tag along - a change of scenery and routine may be good for her, too, and your relationship). Hopefully, a walkmwill put you in thebframe of mind to enjoy your favorite shows (or maybe a bath before your shows would be relaxing).

If stopping at the liquor store on your way home is a problem, try a change in your route; make your home a safe place - get rid of any alcohol in your home.

You mentioned going to a meeting; that sounds like a good idea and worth the effort.

Stay close to SR; there is always someone here.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by violetflame View Post
I know I need to get my ass to a meeting but somehow I don't think that is going to help right now as my drinking is more related to anxiety at this moment.
Can't hurt!!!
Always make me feel better - especially when I don't want to go. I think the effect of having to get up, get out, drive to a meeting and the commitment to actually going is part of it.........

peace

fly
Old 11-02-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back Violet!!

The main thing for myself was support, whether it was meetings, SR, anything to stop me giving in to my mind which wanted to drink!!

You can do this!!
Old 11-02-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad yer here posting.
I believe that for a person to stop drinking they 1st have to want to stop. Then action, which IMO would be getting willing todo whatever that requires, which m thinking getting some courage and going to a meeting may be a good start.

Something thAt caught my attention is sayin it's because of a new patient and relationship with daughter.
Or maybe it's because yu are an alcoholic and are powerless over alcohol and your life is unmanageable?
Old 11-02-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi VF try this see if it helps http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
Old 11-02-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello. So far so good. I am not going to drink today. I have felt like crap all day from last nights drinking. I never want to feel this way again. I also had a long serious talk with my daughter about my drinking and how she worries about me and bow it affects
Me. I am also on psychiatric medication and that is another big reason for me to stop. They will not work as well or god knows one day I can wake up dead. Thank you for all your suggestions. Once I get home my plan is to just relax because I am not feeling well at all today. What is the site where you can say you will stay sober for 24 hours . Sorry I mean the link?
Old 11-02-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Violet, you are obviously seeing a psychiatrist, but are you seeing one that is board certified in addiction psychiatry? There is a huge difference. And although I still struggle with the psychological component of drinking, the aggressive assortment of meds he put me on has completely quashed the biological need to drink. I would never have been able to make it to 4 months without him.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was on a medication which helped me not drink for 9 months but then I started drinking on it. Now I am on a new one which I haven't really given a fair chance to because I have drank on it as well. I don't have insurance so I go to a center and I have a medically needy medicaid card so all I have to pay for is the medications not the visits. I am lucky to have a psychiatrist at all. But I am not going to drink anymore. If I did it before I can do it again. What are you on if you don't mind me asking? I was on saphris. Now am on perphenazine 2 mg twice a day.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The link you're wanting is the 24 hour recovery connections thread. You'll find it in the Daily Support forum, right below newcomers.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-22-a.html
Old 11-02-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad you are here, Violet.

I hope you get and stay sober.

For me, it took treatment and AA, and it's worked for many years now.

Please hang around.

Best.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am doing well decided to meet a friend at a Starbucks instead of staying home. I feel confident that if I make it through today this will be a new beginning for me. Thank u all for ur support.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Glad you came back here Violet. Stay strong tonight. You can do it.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am on my 5th day now. not easy. Not real bad so far, but I know how I am. I always need a drink to make the night better. To watch a movie, I need a drink. I am bored without a drink. But I have to to try and change my lifestyle. $60/week is STUPID! I don't think I would fit into AA, not spiritual, so I am not sure where to look for support. Here is hoping I can really do it this time!