Notices

I can't stop drinking

Old 11-01-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't stop drinking

The last time I posted here about a couple of months ago, I was 3 day sober , said I could do it without AA and would never touch another drink. Well, I was talking utter rubbish because I'm still drinking.

My doctor even prescribed me Librium a couple of days ago but I haven't took them yet, I just keep drinking instead.

I keep saying to myself just one more day and then I'll stop tomorrow, start taking these meds and start attending AA meetings but it doesn't happen. I just keep buying booze.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wink

Welcome to SR it is NOT easy. but, it can be done... but, you DO have to want it. (AA is a good idea. it helped me GREATLY!)
Old 11-01-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It took me a long time to become an alcoholic and it took me a long time to quit.
I tried about everything, pouring it out, solemn oaths and AA. Still I drank.
But AA put a bug in my head that I was, in fact, an alcoholic and couldn't control my drinking.
Every time I drank after that I felt guilty. I knew what I was and I knew I was making things worse. And they did get worse. Binges, every day drinking and the hangovers were a nightmare of fear, anxiety and remorse.

I decided I didn't want to live that way any more and finally managed to stop.
It's been three years ten months now, and I was a bad drunk. A serious drinker and every one knew it.
You can do it, too. You'll find lots of support here, and if you go to AA, you'll find people just like you.
Whatever path you choose, I wish you sobriety.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I posted this a short while ago and think it fits for most new comers also.

Hi.
For me and millions help then sobriety has been achieved with face to face meetings at AA where it’s good to be understood by others and see first hand the gleam of achievements.
Whatever path chosen will require work and changes along with consistent pursuit of being sober. We need to remember that alcohol is powerful, cunning and baffling along with being a progressive disease.
All we need to do is don’t drink one day at a time in a row, it’s that simple!

BE WELL
Old 11-01-2014, 04:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Been there, done that. All I needed was that 50.01% percent of me that wanted to get sober to actually put down the bottle and get to a meeting. Many times I took that bottle with me. One saying that stuck with me was 'bring the body, the mind will follow'. That was the start of my journey in recovery.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

If you want to be sober more than you want to drink,you can do it.

The longer you carry on drinking, the harder it will get to stop.

Why not call your local AA helpline today?get yourself to a meeting and begin the sober journey.

I wish you well.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah...I think probably just about all of us have been there. Being absolutely miserable due to alcohol, but yet feeling as though giving it up is simply impossible.

It can be overcome though, and it does get easier with time if you give it a chance.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

try this http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
Old 11-01-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wen't 30 years telling myself "I'll quit someday"
Someday is not a day of the week. It can be right now if you decide to do it.
If you had cancer,and were told going to AA could possibly cure it. Would you not give it a try? I think most people probably would.
But we think of drinking differently. "I can drink a few more days with no harm" is what we subconsciously tell ourselves. So we keep on putting it off until "someday".
You can make "someday" today if you want to. But you have to take it seriously. It is like going to war. You have to pursue it with the mindset that losing just isn't an option.
Yes there will be sacrifices and inconveniences. But in reality the hard part only lasts a few months. After that you can live the rest of you life in freedom.

Fred
Old 11-01-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I drank almost everyday for 30+ years only the last 3 or 4 did I realize it was a problem. I told myself every morning that I needed to quit but it just didn't happen. Went to AA and quit for several months in 2011 then got discouraged because of personal events and started again.
The final straw was loosing everything, getting told I was no longer welcome in my home, being disowned an cut off from my safety net. I then realized what a stupid selfish decision it was on my part to keep on doing what I was doing.
Drinking was the only escape I ever knew from harsh reality my entire adult life so this was a very rough reality check. I had to make the decision to either curl up in a ball and drink myself to death or pull my head out of my a$$ and figure out how to start over.
It is completely unnecessary to go to the depth that I did to turn it around. It's a lot of work and requires serious commitment to stay sober but it is achievable and gets much easier and more normal as time goes on. Addiction only gets worse if you continue on the path.
All I know is I now have my family and my life back. I don't do AA, but have. I researched as many recovery methods as I could and used bits and pieces of several methods that made sense to me. There are links to several methods on this site. How ever you do it have patience with yourself but approach it as a matter of life or death, because it is.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

No time like the present, I always quitting tomorrow too, but months and years passed!!

Time to get a plan together and make it happen, because it sounds like alcohol is leading you nowhere!!

You can do this!!
Old 11-01-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Bh28 View Post
I keep saying to myself just one more day and then I'll stop tomorrow, but I just keep buying booze.
BH28, you can say this and mean it every dang time, but for you to succeed, that promise has to turn into a different promise. You have to change the decision to quit tomorrow into a decision to quit NOW. Today is that day. Now is that time. This is where we are now, we quit. Say it. Do it.

Take a look at the hands attached to your wrists - those are the ones that you will use to make this decision, those are what you will use to make this a reality. They are your hands, and they are perfectly good ones too.

You can stand at the edge of that decision, and make that first step forward. You can do it, you can succeed. You quit drinking by stopping, nothing more magic than that. You deserve it, so go get it. Throw out your booze, get rid of the empties, and go for a walk. You can be free. Now.

Are you ready to make your plan about continuing to use alcohol?
Old 11-01-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Bh, do you have an AA hotline where you live? If you google your city and AA you may find the number. I suggest you call it, and speak with someone from AA. Tell them your dilemma. Perhaps they can help you get to a meeting and on the right track. Hope this helps!
Old 11-01-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

. . . . start taking these meds and start attending AA meetings . . . .
I hope you can start listening to this part of your voice.

You can do this Bh.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you posted!
Honesty is critical - you have awareness.

I had to change my bad habits - for me this entailed dragging myself to meetings. Now, they are the highlight of my day!!!

Willingness to change was the sober key for me.....

fly
Old 11-01-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You called this thread, "I can't stop drinking".

But this is not true.
Of course you can stop drinking.
You just keep deciding not to.
Get all the help you can, make a plan and stick to it.
Suffer the initial sickness (which doesn't last very long) and then get on with following your plan.
When you are wavering about drinking next time, just remind yourself that you can decide not to do it.
It is REALLY hard, but very doable.
I wish you well.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Old 11-01-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks peeps. I just didn't respond because I'm blind drunk again. But I will beat this demon with my inner strength and everything I have left in me.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Thanks peeps. I just didn't respond because I'm blind drunk again. But I will beat this demon with my inner strength and everything I have left in me.
I don't know anyone who has successfully gotten sober (and stayed that way, happily) by "beating the demon" with their "inner strength." I know people who have gotten sober without AA, but they, too had to quit fighting the "demon" and get down to the hard work of changing. Changing a LOT.

I would suggest you follow up on your original instinct to go to AA. You obviously didn't do so hot on your original "do-it-yourself" attempt. I didn't want to go to AA either, but when I finally was REALLY serious about quitting drinking, I decided I owed it to myself to give it the best shot at success that I could. I knew many people who had gotten happily sober in AA, so I humbled myself enough to walk into the rooms. Haven't picked up a drink since, and it's been over six years.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey BH, I'm in your corner. 16 days here. I hate drinking but I felt compelled to do it. My trick is that it is just a thought. Let it pass.

One minute at a time. Surrender to the fact that you CANNOT drink without everything turning to $hit.