Notices

Just got fired

Old 10-31-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just got fired

So yet again, drink continues to ruin my life.

I had been out drinking at a Halloween party last night and on the way back my friend and I decided to call into work, as work is in a hotel the bar opens late. I was very drunk by this stage and have absolutely no recollection of this incident but apparently I told one of the managers to 'fu*k off* when I was told they wouldn't serve me drink. I honestly cannot remember a thing, and doing that was so out of character for me. I only knew what had happened when I came into work to start my shift and was told that they had to let me go.

Don't even know how to feel right now, apart from being jobless, I'm just so angry and can't stop crying, alcohol has ruined so much for me in my life, ive tried to quit many times and just when life was going pretty good for me, I when out drinking and ended up fired.

I suppose one good thing I can take out off this is that I know now that I am done with drink for good and never ever want to feel this way ever again.

Thanks for reading....would really love your help and advice.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Halloween would be a cool sober date!!!!!!
Going to bed now but hang around here for a while.
Start now.
Perhaps write a letter of apology to the manager.
You will be OK.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you lost your job.

My advice is to back up your sincere desire to quit with action, Find some support, change your life - make it impossible for this to happen again...

Welcome back

D
Old 10-31-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your support guys

Yeah, I'm definitely gona send a letter to the manager, its just so completely out of character for me...even worse that i had no recollection of it but yes this sort of thing will NEVER happen again.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FloridaLove View Post
So yet again, drink continues to ruin my life.

I had been out drinking at a Halloween party last night and on the way back my friend and I decided to call into work, as work is in a hotel the bar opens late. I was very drunk by this stage and have absolutely no recollection of this incident but apparently I told one of the managers to 'fu*k off* when I was told they wouldn't serve me drink. I honestly cannot remember a thing, and doing that was so out of character for me. I only knew what had happened when I came into work to start my shift and was told that they had to let me go.

Don't even know how to feel right now, apart from being jobless, I'm just so angry and can't stop crying, alcohol has ruined so much for me in my life, ive tried to quit many times and just when life was going pretty good for me, I when out drinking and ended up fired.

I suppose one good thing I can take out off this is that I know now that I am done with drink for good and never ever want to feel this way ever again.

Thanks for reading....would really love your help and advice.

Well, if it's a one-off time I think you've learned a lesson about drinking to excess.

Unfortunately, for me the one-off became a second-off, then a third...

However, I hope you're right and it won't happen again.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I only have 3 days sober, but I also worried about blacking out and calling someone from work or my supervisor or something. I never know what I could do when drunk.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justbreathe1980 View Post
I only have 3 days sober, but I also worried about blacking out and calling someone from work or my supervisor or something. I never know what I could do when drunk.
Yeah, its something that has really scared me. Its bad enough remembering doing something bad but not even knowing I had done what I did is even worse.

Oh, and well done on your 3 days!!!
Old 10-31-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

There are more than a few people sitting in prison who don't remember doing what got them there.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

In any case of black-out behavior one thing is certain, if we continue on the path of drink we are certain to repeat, and after circling the drain we head down to the sewer. Best to catch yourself now.
Action, Action, Action. One Day At A TIme. Make Sobriety the number one thing, it must be for you. ANd yes, part of Sobriety means rebuilding, focusing on self care, getting a job, then getting a job you love, treat yourself well, love yourself. Put that destructive energy into learning about, focusing on, your recovery and soon the promises of a better way of life will begin to manifest and you'll hardly notice! THen you'll turn some time and look at yourself and feel not just great, but awash in freedom.

"Instead of giving myself reasons why I can’t, I give myself reason why I can. Recovery is possible. Remember that always."
Old 10-31-2014, 09:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Halloween is a great quit date! My first sober, non hung over day was 11-1-11. That was just a cool coincidence, actually. Any day is a great day to quit. You'll get another job and you'll be glad you quit.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well the good thing is that your here trying to address it which is positive action

Sorry about the job alcohol destroys anything it touches

im glad your here trying and i know you can do it

have you considered aa or secular recovery based options ?

Well done on not wanting to drink anymore alcohol is insidious
Old 11-01-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I got sober after a Christmas party where I turned into the person I never thought I would be, that drunk, loud, angry, obnoxious, yelling hot mess. Really, that was not me. But it's totally doable. Welcome and stick around reading here.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Loosing a job is never easy but maybe the best thing that could have happened to you. This may be the wake up call, final straw, new beginning, fresh start or whatever you want to call it, that gets you started with your sobriety. Unfortunately it often takes a major incident to get people to recognize the damage alcohol is doing to their lives. Thankfully for you it was only a job lose, where for some its a dui or much worse.

You have a chance now to start anew, with all opportunities ahead you, which are attainable with hard work and sobriety. Good luck and stick with it.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EndGame

I know that walk of shame after being told not to come back to work again all too well. Very few things in life are as humiliating as being fired for drinking or for the things we do and say while we're drinking.

It's a good idea to write a letter as you've said you plan to do. If nothing else, you'll have made an immediate amends which tends to go a long way in helping us to settle down emotionally and then move on from something that we regret.

It's currently a very emotional time for you, so I recommend that you let a trusted friend go over the letter with you and, if you are up to it, post it in this thread or a new thread. You don't need to explain in detail your words and actions in the letter...your boss is well aware of these details. But, I think, it's important that you start getting help, and that you mention this in your letter.

None of us likes to be defined by our worst moments in life; you never have to put yourself in this position again.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you for your kind message of support guys. Going to make a start on this letter.

Feeling very down today about everything though
Old 11-01-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It took me a long time to realise drink and work do not mix.
Where work is concerned, it really is not worth it.

I wish you the best xx
Old 11-01-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Don't feel down, feel up! You're starting the steps to save your life.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Whoops- that was a mistake!

Look, everyone here has screwed up when drunk.
You could try admitting to having an alcohol problem in your letter and telling them that you are looking for help.

But the job is not the biggest thing here.
Your health and safety is.
Behaving out of character and not remembering can involve harmless things but also very dangerous and scary things.
I arrived home one day with blood on my face.
My wife woke me a couple of hours later and asked what had happened.
It wasn't my blood and I still have no idea where it came from.
Very scary.

You would be best served by using this whole experience as a turning point in your life.
I really wish you well.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Time to sort our your relationship with alcohol!!

Make a plan and turn a new corner as alcohol is doing you no favours.

You can do this!!
Old 11-02-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I did many, many things that I considered out of character while drunk. It was not until I got sober that my true character came out. Use this as a catalyst for change -

Jwalker