Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Father's comments reinforcing my obsession with alcohol...

Notices

Old 10-31-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My father keeps going on about the quality of the wine he drinks every evening and loudly announces with great pride they days where he doesn't drink at all, calling them his alcohol-free days. Absolutely tactless in my opinion as he does it in front of me all the time.

His fixation on alcohol is starting to make me think it could be the root of why I resent the alcohol fuelled culture that exists in the UK and i'm looking for re assurance that his behaviour and relationship with alcohol isn't normal. . . .

Anyone else live with someone who drinks openly and also goes on about it all the time? How do you handle it?
Old 10-31-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In the past I have lived with people like that.

I live alone now.

Sometimes that has it's own challenges, but at least no one gets on my nerves here.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

I dunno but I still like your eckhart tolle quote.

But I get what your saying. My dietary choices are way off the wall in comparison to the rest of the household. they poke at me sometimes and ya know I poke at htem some times. But I dont allow it to get under my skin. They have there ways I have mine it is what it is.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Dont worry my dad claims to have a gift alcohol made sure i never really had a father

we dont talk no more because of the way he is and im getting on with my life

completly understand Matty

Well done on a year & 11 days friend
Old 11-01-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Sometimes when you live with others, you have to tune them out, regardless of the topic. lol Just hang in there and keep doing what you're doing.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

To me it sounds like he is justifying his drinking with his 'alcohol free days' and the fact he drinks expensive wine.
Its obviously something that is on his mind if he is voicing what he drinks and then giving reasons why it is okay - like its not every night and when he does its always expensive stuff.
Like the people who justify their drinking as medicinal, its complete denial and rubbish.
I don't ever recall a GP or medical professional prescribing drink for medicinal purposes.

Remember even the poshest wine is still made from rotten fruit!!!
You don't get a posher form of liver damage because the stuff you drink is high end!!!!
Just makes him even more of a mug to believe that the fact he spends more cash on his poison makes him more exclusive than other drinkers.

I would just not rise to it, smile to myself and if he catches you sniggering and asks whats funny just enrage him further by saying 'nothing, nothing at all'!!!
Old 11-01-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Advocating Beelzebub here: When we all age, parents become less the omniscient beings we believed them to be.

Maybe your Dad is trying, in his way, to encourage you. He may think he's showing you what is normal drinking behavior.

Maybe you can just forgive him and get on with yourself.