Notices

Did alcohol prevent cavities?

Old 10-27-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did alcohol prevent cavities?

Hi guys, forgive me I'm slightly fuming today.

For 10 years I avoided the dentist, 10 plus years of drinking, often disgustingly i would only brush my teeth once in the day, I would be to drunk in the evening and go straight to bed....but despite this I had ZERO problems with my teeth, toothache was a very rare occurrence, so much so I thought dentists only give people fillings to make money! A decade of drinking with no tooth problems.

Since getting sober (10 months) unfortunately all that has changed, despite now looking after myself, brushing my teeth twice a day without fail I've had frequently occuring toothache, my first ever tooth abscess causing my top premolar to be pulled out leaving me my a gappy smile in my twenties constant annoying inflamed gums, plus according to my dentist I need an extra 4 fillings which so far ive avoided getting done because of my tinnitus, dentist drills are loud!

Now I've noticed my other top premolar (which was root canalled tooth done as a kid) is hurting, so I'll probably need that pulled out!....the way I'm going I'm going to be toothless by the time I'm 30! Great for self confidence and finding a girlfriend!

Alcohol must have been antibacterial that prevented cavities? Or maybe I'm eating more sugary snacks? IDK.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

maybe you had cavities for those 10 years..because beer and mixed drinks has caused people to lose all their teeth
Old 10-27-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There's no way to tell if those problems have been progressing over those 10 years and now Sober the problems are starting to crop up!!
Old 10-27-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iggy24 View Post
maybe you had cavities for those 10 years..because beer and mixed drinks has caused people to lose all their teeth
Maybe?...but I don't get why only now I'm getting toothache, inflamed gums, abscesses etc? Either way I'm in for some serious dental work coming up!
Old 10-27-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As we age, teeth start having problems. Plus avoiding the dentist means you weren't getting your teeth cleaned which causes gum disease.

And you probably are eating more in general - but there could be other systemic problems, too. Have you been to your regular doctor for a check-up lately?

When I'm healthy in general my teeth are too.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
There's no way to tell if those problems have been progressing over those 10 years and now Sober the problems are starting to crop up!!
Yeah it really annoying! Lol..teeth problems can be a right pain in the a*** sometimes!
Old 10-27-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

that sounds more like an infection..i would seriously go to the ER to get some antibiotics before you have to get a tooth extracted..especially since you said it was under a previous root canal
Old 10-27-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on ten months sober!
Old 10-27-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I had to have some really expensive dental work done. No doubt it was from the reflux of all that acid. Drinking made that way worse. I just made my bro go to the dentist after 25 years. He needs an extensive cleaning and has a few cavaties...go figure.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
As we age, teeth start having problems. Plus avoiding the dentist means you weren't getting your teeth cleaned which causes gum disease.

And you probably are eating more in general - but there could be other systemic problems, too. Have you been to your regular doctor for a check-up lately?

When I'm healthy in general my teeth are too.
No...maybe I should get checked out by the dr to see if something else is going on?

Apart from my teeth I'm a lot healthier, eat a little better, I've lost 50 pounds in weight and near my ideal weight.

Maybe all the years of neglect have finally caught up with dental health?
Old 10-27-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

10 Months is awesome
Old 10-27-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iggy24 View Post
that sounds more like an infection..i would seriously go to the ER to get some antibiotics before you have to get a tooth extracted..especially since you said it was under a previous root canal
Ive got an dental appointment on Wednesday to see if its an infection or not, hopefully just exposed nerves or something.