Notices

dodged saki bullet literally

Old 10-27-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

dodged saki bullet literally

So its my 34th birthday on the 28th and my family took me and my twin sister, who is as straight edge as they come, to a hibachi restaurant for dinner. Other than physical resemblance I can tell you twins are not all that much alike. I got my mothers free wheeling nature and my sister got my fathers reserved disposition. I'll be at a year sober come Dec 23 of this year.

Back to the story... The hibachi chef comes out and performs his little show while cooking the food and unbeknownst to me my family had told him that its my bday. I am positioned directly in front of him at the U shaped flat top table, while sauteing a king size share of noodles, he grabs a clear plastic squirt bottle and douses the grill surface and noodles with the liquid. I think, probably just water to steam the noodles to temp. After squirting the noodles he aims the bottle directly at my face and squirts while screaming SAKI! Now the natural inclination would have been to simply open my mouth like a baby bird waiting for a macerated worm but with the speed of light I dipped to the right and the stream of poison literally flies past my face and strikes the wall behind me.

Typically at these types of places you sit with other strangers as they sit 12 plus people. They looked at me like i had 5 heads when performing this dodge. I simply said, with a chuckle, no alcohol for me. A new pile of food was prepared for me, sans saki.

After this I began to think about how potentially treacherous it is for us recovering alcoholics to simply set foot outside your home. Vigilance is so key to this process because you never really know when you will be tested. If i did accept the mystery squirt - I would have know immediately, that it was saki, by the warming sensation that only alcohol produces the moment it enters your mouth and spit it out but mentally it would have disturbed me knowing that it has by all accounts entered my body. I was scared and thrilled all at the same time. Thanks for letting share my story.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah i was at a hibachi place and they asked i said no. I felt like the oddball. even when i drank I always said no tho because I felt it was obnoxious to drink booze in such fashion go figure i had standards??? Anyhow the last time it was met with the I used to drink remorse. I thought gee I never did try saki in my life did i miss out on something? Probably not but I thought that for a moment.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job on the Matrix dodge
Old 10-27-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Good job on the Matrix dodge
haha love it
Old 10-27-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

I had this happen to me - thought they were being funny and squirting water- I was sober a while. Not much longer after that
Old 10-27-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the good laugh downtown! The ordinary stuff that happens to us poor alcoholics that turns it into something crazy. Now, had the whole restaurant known what you had been through with alcohol they'd probably think it was insane that the chef tried to give you saki!
Old 10-27-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good story! Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-27-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well happy birthday twins that's cool. I went to my friend in AA babies baptism I went up to take communion and I put the glass towards my face and smelled alcohol so I just acted like I took a drink witch I didn't but man ya never know what your gonna run into.