Notices

Socializing sober Part II

Old 10-26-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Socializing sober Part II

Well folks! What can I say! Went away for my weekend away to family party down in Sussex and must say have come back a bit disappointed! After a long arduous drive we finally arrived @the hotel to be greeted by our hosts. Very nice. Had lovely cup of tea. In the past would definitely have started my weekend off with a wine! Then definitely another as more family would arrive, getting more & more excited and into the swing of things the more I drank. Instead, wanted to go out for a lovely country walk but even this didn't happen as trying to chivvy husband just gets too exhausting in the end.

Went up to my room to get ready, had a lovely long hot shower & leisurely got dressed & make up on. I would never have done that before: it would have been quick get changed, renew make up. Then rush down to bar ASAP to meet up with those of keen like minded booze interest.

When we finally made our entrance everyone was already there; the first thing I was asked was do I want a glass of this"lovely hot mulled wine" !!!????? Do I? Eerrm, actually "no! I don't". Moving swiftly along, met up with keen members of family to be asked where was I & why I took so long? Duh!

Got into the swing of it & enjoyed the party much, much more than I ever thought possible. The DJ was fantastic & played all the right music and I danced my socks off all night long. Yay! It was great. But, here is where my old life fades away & my new sober life shines:I was complimented all night long on how lovely/amazing/slim I looked(felt amazing too) people that I hadn't seen for a few years were giving me sideways glances saying how good I looked & that I hadn't altered, loving this big time. Before I would've just been pissed by now & not remembered or recollect anything the next day. After the main party finished then it's the obligatory shift next door to the bar, whereupon I tried, really I did, to find some modicum of interesting conversation!!! Definitely not happening here, lol, so said my goodnights & went to bed. Make up off, brushed teeth!!!!!?????? Had lovely sleep.

Was very disappointed the next day as, me, raring to go & looking forward to a great day ahead...... Everyone had hangovers, all moaning & groaning, couldn't do a thing, just want to go to bed etc, etc, how boring.

Anyway. I think it's a personal thing, being sober, I proved that I can enjoy the party so much more without a drink but to be honest I wouldn't rush back, lol. Time now for me to move on. Time to change and start different socializing ie want to book a cultural weekend away with my non drinking cousin & activites like that. Boozers & sober folk just don't really mix because their entire itinerary evolves around drinking & recovering from it, whereas I'm just not interested in that any more.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great stuff lilly. Nothing better the next morning after a night out feeling totally normal.

I find I can get out now do the socializing I need and then get away as and when I want in my motor vehicle The coolness and empowerment of being sober for me now is actually like a gift, well I am approaching 3 years and I do feel rather smug
Old 10-31-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Such a wonderful feeling, this composed, capable, self-possessed person we are now. Well spoken, sensitive, a good conversationalist, welcome at any time.

I remember thinking that sobriety would be boring, but it turned out to be just the opposite, it was intoxication that was boring. And so limiting, it really just adds nothing. Getting wasted is an apt expression, because that is what it is, and all it is. A waste.

Well done, Lilly. You are right to be proud of yourself, as others are admiring you now too. Congratulations to you on your success. Onward!
Old 11-01-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeap, that's now the new reality with social events, everyone else now has the hangovers!!

I went to my sister's wedding back in the summer in London, and having not drank I was up fresh at the hotel the next morning, breakfast, a nice walk in the gardens, I was up for checking out some sights, but being the brother of the bride I was tasked with making sure everyone got checked out alright and had their travel arrangements to get home, but sure enough some rolled out of bed at the last minute at the checkout time of midday!!

Well done on remaining Sober!!
Old 11-01-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post and glad you had a good time. I do get it about the difficulty of socializing with those who just want to get their drink on. I have come to realize that I can no longer socialize with any ease with my family and it's lonely, but there it is.

Good for you!!