SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Struggling (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/348562-struggling.html)

sapphire1981 10-22-2014 11:37 PM

Struggling

I guys I'm totally new on here so hello everyone! I found this forum after googling alcohol addiction. I'm 33 have two children and I'm training for a high profile profession, I guess on the outside I have it all....except I've been drinking, drinking mainly during the breakup of my 7 year relationship over the last two months. At first I justified it saying it was just a coping mechanism etc, but drinking everyday (about 2 bottles of wine) I thought I was ok till I went out on a night out Sunday and got really drunk, Monday tue and wed were horrendous, feelings of paranoia and anxiety, feeling panicked, small noises feeling like they are loud, and the worst thing for me has been insomnia and feelings of pins and needles all over my chest and neck and cold sweats! I've had to cut down to half a bottle a day because I'm worried just stopping altogether would make me worse.....help what do I do? If I look back I was drinking a lot before the breakup and everyday.....it's just increased since! I'm still going through it now and due to move out Saturday he tells me one min I can stay next minute I should go, I think it's making the anxiety worse! :-( x

Treerat66 10-22-2014 11:46 PM

Hello sapphire1981

Welcome to SR. Read, read, read you'll find you are not alone. Keep posting and you'll find loads of support here.

MaidenNZ 10-22-2014 11:53 PM

Hi sapphire

I really feel for you. I know what youre experiencing, its horrible and scary. Keep posting, it can be a real lifeline. If you want to speak with someone there is usually someone in the chat room. Most of us have been where you are right now and know its a tough road out.

I hope this forum helps you and that you can break free from the chains of alcohol addiction.

Take care

sapphire1981 10-22-2014 11:55 PM

Thank you so much I've bought some anti oxidant smoothies and from what I've read so far about the tingling I could be b12 deficient as I've lost two stone in just over a month, I'm really going to try today and shall keep reading on here, I don't think my impending home move on Saturday and losing my fiancée is helping matters but keep thinking maybe in long run I will be happier, really enjoy reading everyone else's experiences :-)

Dee74 10-23-2014 12:41 AM

Hi and welcome Sapphire :)

If withdrawal is a source of anxiety for you, why not see your Dr?
They may prescribe something or they may just check you out, but that way you can stop drinking securely in the knowledge you're doing it safely?

D

sapphire1981 10-23-2014 01:18 AM

I went to see my doctor told him what I was doing and he said symptoms would go away, I'm really articulate and because of my job I keep information I share at a minimum, it doesn't help that I had all my makeup on and looked my usual glamorous self yet in waiting room I'm shaking and sweating and thinking I need a drink! He have me zopiclone only couple of nights worth which eased some anxiety but as I said I've reduced the amount as the cold turkey symptoms were so horrendous :-(

sapphire1981 10-23-2014 01:19 AM

I've got to say it's strange how we can hide these things so easily I think the stereotype of an alcoholic stumbling about on the streets is just that, to the outside world no one would know :-(

Soberwolf 10-23-2014 03:26 AM

Hope your feeling better Sapphire

Cathryn2001 10-23-2014 04:49 AM

Welcome, Sapphire--I just wanted to tell you that I'm glad you are here.

Ellay 10-23-2014 11:30 AM

Welcome, Sapphire. I too drank because my anxiety was brutal! Guess what? after sober almost a month, my anxiety has all but left the building.
I totally understand where you are coming from, that you don't "look" the part of an alcoholic. Funny thing I realized was that the bottles of wine I was consuming couldn't care less what I looked like. They were going to take me down no matter what. Glad you are here! so much support and info. Good luck!

sapphire1981 10-23-2014 12:48 PM

Hey thanks guys I've been ok I've had half a glass of wine today and that's brilliant for me, intending on having nothing tomorrow as that little bit of alcohol made me poorly brought on sweating and pins and needles on my arms and chest! I was having it to try ward off symptoms is it normal that it would induce them? I'm just going to be strong! Your so right the bottles of wine will bring me down and doesn't matter how well I'm functioning to outside world eventually it will catch catch up with me! Well done to everyone who has managed to stay sober or just be here on this forum....it's nice to know your not the only one x

waynetheking 10-23-2014 01:26 PM

Hey sapphire, just quit altogether. The first week will be night sweats. Insomnia. Mood swings. Sugar cravings and a host of other changes. But it will get better each day. You will enjoy sobriety. After a while you'll ask yourself, why did I wait to do this?
Were here for you. But believe me, you'll never regret quitting drinking. Trust us. Glad you're here.

Wastinglife 10-23-2014 04:29 PM

Welcome Saphire. Ya, for many years I kept the facade of a responsible corporate type while I was a hopeless booze-hound on the inside. I had to sneak off at lunch each day to dingy dive bars for a couple pints just to stop my hands from shaking. I would turn down lunch invitations from co-workers and head off on my own. They always wondered where I disappeared to. I was terrified my charade would collapse at any moment.

It's no way to live your life. I ended up losing my career because I did nothing about my drinking and let it get worse. The fact that you are going through withdrawal symptoms is a troubling sign. Get some help now while you have a career to save.

Findingtheway 10-23-2014 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Wastinglife (Post 497193)
I had to sneak off at lunch each day to dingy dive bars for a couple pints just to stop my hands from shaking. I would turn down lunch invitations from co-workers and head off on my own. They always wondered where I disappeared to. I was terrified my charade would collapse at any moment.

Whoa...wastinglife you just described how I was everyday about 2 years ago.
I relate to ALL of what you post here...check that I lived it! 100%

Scary days...thanks for the reminder...oh how things used to be.

beatle 10-23-2014 06:59 PM

Hello Saphire1981-

I drank wine similar to the amount you did. From vast experience, I would predict that the worse is behind you and you will feel a little better tomorrow and in a couple days you should notice a vast improvement. But that is only if you stop the drinking completely. Alcohol comedowns are horrifying (especially wine for me), and life's challenges are amplified significantly during this period. It's simply awful.

sapphire1981 10-24-2014 01:40 AM

Thank you everyone as I've said previously it's so nice to hear from other people who have come through it, for me I absolutely hate the fact it feels like my body temperature gage is going crazy and feels like I have touch sensations all over my body especially stomach and chest, I've had a smoothie today with vitamins as well and started taking milk thistle has anyone else tried that? I am determined to nourish my poor body :-)