Notices

Avoiding products with alcohol?

Old 10-16-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Avoiding products with alcohol?

In continuing care tonight we had a newbie who was asking if they should avoid anything with even trace amounts of alcohol... Like mouthwash, pasta sauces made with wine, etc. Some folks said absolutely but I dont think its categorically true for everyone. I argued (and still maintain) that for me its all about triggers. Rinsing my mouth out with mouthwash doesnt make me want to get drunk. But leave me at home alone on a rainy day with a fifth of vodka sitting out on the counter, that's a whole different story.

Thoughts?
Old 10-16-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never swallowed any or wanted to, but subconsciously I found myself using more of the alcohol based mouthwash than non alcoholic varieties....so, yeah, I think there is something to this for me, however subtle.

To that end, I don't use alcohol in my cooking and try to avoid foods cooked that way.

I do use an alcohol based deodorant tho and that's never bothered me.

D
Old 10-16-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I heard support for both sides of the argument from knowledgeable people with long term sobriety.

For myself I stay away from anything that has alcohol in it. To me it is just not worth the risk
Old 10-16-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ionray View Post
In continuing care tonight we had a newbie who was asking if they should avoid anything with even trace amounts of alcohol... Like mouthwash, pasta sauces made with wine, etc. Some folks said absolutely but I dont think its categorically true for everyone. I argued (and still maintain) that for me its all about triggers. Rinsing my mouth out with mouthwash doesnt make me want to get drunk. But leave me at home alone on a rainy day with a fifth of vodka sitting out on the counter, that's a whole different story.

Thoughts?
I'm careful about alcohol products but don't go overboard about it.

Mouthwash? I don't worry about it but I am careful about cough medicine.

As a general rule if it has alcohol I don't use it.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hand sanitizer
Old 10-16-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My daughter cooks with wine and it has never been a trigger for me when I visit. I guess we are all different. My mouth wash has no alcohol and I won't use cold medications that contain alcohol. I don't know if they would trigger or not, guess I just find it easy to avoid. I think it is a personal thing.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I stayed away from it, and still do. There are so, so, so many things WITHOUT alcohol in them. If you're looking at a menu with 20 choices and make it a point to order the "Whiskey Braised Chicken", I think that's a red flag. A lot of folks say they like to keep a little wine in the house "for cooking" and I'd also say that newbies should avoid that. There are also plenty of non-alcohol based mouthwashes and breath fresheners. Why buy the one with alcohol? Same goes for NyQuil, etc, etc.

We have many choices when it comes to these simple products. Just pick the ones without alcohol and move on. Just my .02 cents.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't avoid anything with alcohol in it such as mouthwash but I have not been tempted to drink it.
Went to a cookout a week after I got sober and ate some jack Daniels bbq and thought nothing of it, I was more tempted to drink the beer they offered, no-one knew I quit.
I really never loved the taste of alcohol, Just the high was what I was after and if beer didn't get me buzzed I'd never drank the stuff, cheap or top shelf.
Everyone is different, I have a friend that's 12 years sober that avoids anything with alcohol, have another friend that's 22 years sober that would drink NA beer when I came over hitting the high test.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I never swallowed any or wanted to, but subconsciously I found myself using more of the alcohol based mouthwash than non alcoholic varieties....so, yeah, I think there is something to this for me, however subtle.

To that end, I don't use alcohol in my cooking and try to avoid foods cooked that way.

I do use an alcohol based deodorant tho and that's never bothered me.

D
This
Old 10-17-2014, 02:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It depends on what it is, but any food, mouth wash, or hand sanitizer is out. I try not to get crazy with it, but I'm pretty careful.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think it really is different for everyone. I am currently taking antabuse so anything containing alcohol is completely out. Prior to that I found that products with alcohol did not trigger me and I could consume food cooked with alcohol without being triggered. I could not however, under any circumstances, cook with alcohol myself. Having the open bottle in my house, in my hands was too much for me.
I do not go to church and do not take communion, but for example, if I did I would never be able to take communion with wine. I do know some people who can do this though and not feel triggered as they believe/know what they are drinking is not wine but the blood of christ.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

At work I use hand sanitizer every day and often smell my hands afterwards and giggle. They reek of alcohol! It's not a trigger for me though.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Tons of good advice/words here - thanks

Xtreem
Old 10-17-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Avoid the tiramisu

That alcohol isn't cooked out. lol
Old 10-17-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's never been an issue for me.
Cooking, deodorant, mouthwash, whatever.
Also, I don't get tempted in bars, so that's not a problem.
But I do get absolutely pissed off in bars around drunk people, so I tend not to visit unless there's an occasion I have to show my face at.
I usually end up insulting people at that point for acting like idiots, so it suits everybody when I leave after 45 minutes!
Old 10-17-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Trudgin

My (limited) understanding is that in baking the alcohol still has a whack to it.....but, in cooking - stove top, it burns off. Guy talked about a rum cake he wouldn't touch because of this. Don't know if this is correct, however.

I love brautwurst and on the occasions I eat them we still parboil in beer on stove before grilling.

Mouthwash I never really even thought about......hmm, maybe THAT'S why my breath is so much fresher than ever daily! I need to check this, but if it's in there, didn't hurt me at this point.

Good topic I need to re read all post and educate myself with other experience and thoughts!
Thanks for it
fly
Old 10-17-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I stay way from alcohol in cooking only because my liver is still healing and I don't want to risk reinjuring it.

Bunnez
Old 10-17-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Grateful

Original Formula Nyquil: 25% alcohol (50 proof).

Original Formula Listerine: 27% alcohol (54 proof)

I stay away from all medications with alcohol and I do not use mouthwash with alcohol. Even without swallowing mouthwash your mouth can absorb some of the alcohol. With so many products now available without alcohol there is no reason to take any chances however small they might be. There are a select few food dishes cooked with wine by my Mom that I still eat, but I know how she prepares the dishes and I am comfortable eating them (never a wine drinker so the flavor alone would not trigger me).
Old 10-17-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Everyone should do what works for them, we are all different.

And, if anyone cares, I personally cook with alcohol, use mouthwash with it... these aren't "triggers" to me, because I don't drink alcohol anymore.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

My (limited) understanding is that in baking the alcohol still has a whack to it.....but, in cooking - stove top, it burns off. Guy talked about a rum cake he wouldn't touch because of this. Don't know if this is correct, however.
it's not.
Alcohol Burn-off Chart

D