Notices

Question from an Alanon to an A

Old 10-14-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question from an Alanon to an A

I am an Alanon and I am looking for advice from an A -

What happens when you are an active A, that you don't love any more? I love my AH with all my heart after 34 years together. I don't understand what happens in addiction that you don't love people anymore.
Help me understand as I am divorcing him and just want everything like it was before.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sadly, the love of his life is the bottle.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's a subjective question, but I would easily put my partners feelings aside on nights I would drink. Everything I loved or cared about slowly became blurred by the choice to give in to addictive cravings. Eventually, the depressant part of alcohol really took hold and I found myself unable to really care about anything. That was my bottom, at least, it was as far as I allowed myself to fall.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear of your troubles. 34 years is a long time.

Everyone's experience is a little different but I can share my own. I used alcohol to self medicate anxiety and depression. Eventually it stopped working and caused more anxiety and depression than it was relieving. And so began the horrible cycle of drinking just to try to feel normal.

It is difficult to explain this feeling to a non addict, but when I was in the throes of active drinking, I didn't want to be around anyone. Ever. I used to dread the end of the work day because I knew I'd have to face my wife and kids and try to achieve some sense of normalcy, which at the time was becoming progressively more difficult.

And so I'd keep to myself, temper on a short fuse, opting out whenever possible from social functions or even family events like my kids soccer games. In the Big Book it says "the less people tolerated us, the more we withdrew from society, from life itself" and that was certainly true of me.

I should say that I never stopped loving my wife and kids during that time, but now I can clearly see how it must have seemed that way. In the end, fear of losing them was what it took to (finally) motivate me to get help.

I've been sober for a year, and now I can't wait to get home at the end of the day to hug my wife and kids. But I'm one of the lucky ones. Alcohol destroys many marriages, families and lives. I was fortunate enough to get into recovery before that happened, but I still have to take it one day at a time and work my program because without it, I could go right back there all too easily.

Hope this helps somewhat, and prayers for you and your family that there's still time.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I don't understand what happens in addiction that you don't love people anymore.
An active addiction robs us of our ability to make rational decisions. It's almost as if the addiction is making decisions for us.

It takes weeks, months or sometimes years of sobriety before we begin to make untainted decisions again.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In the end i drank to deaden or kill my emotions.
Far too painful to have them.
In the end it worked.
Completely.
That killed my marriage of 26 years.
She is long gone now and i can only hope that she is at peace with her world today.
She deserves that.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by maia1234 View Post
I don't understand what happens in addiction that you don't love people anymore.
I never stopped loving my family, but the thought of living without alcohol was so overwhelmingly terrifying I was willing to put my relationship with them at risk to keep drinking. That fear was absolutely irrational, but absolutely real.

I never knew I was a slave until I was free.

Good luck to you both.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Our love of the feeling that we get from alcohol overrides any other love in our life

Not only do we love & desire alcohol but we become dependent on it. We cannot live without it. We will do anything to ensure that our need for it is met. We don't like hurting the people that care about us, but we will if you get in our way.

Best thing to do - coming from an A - is to distance yourself and take care of yourself. Pray for us and that's all you can do.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For me it was like a mistress. It slowly took over my life and, eventually killed it. I'm sure way down deep he still loves you, but you need to take care of yourself.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by jsm273 View Post
For me it was like a mistress. It slowly took over my life and, eventually killed it. I'm sure way down deep he still loves you, but you need to take care of yourself.
This
Old 10-14-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Personally, being an alcoholic doesn't mean that you don't love anymore. It's a disease that just consumes your mind and body. It helps bury the things you don't want to feel or the things you feel like you can't face. I never stopped loving people in my life. I just quit showing it and pushed people away. I'm sure the last thing he wants to do is lose you. Sometimes it takes losing everything though before you realize something needs to change. Best of luck to you both
Old 10-14-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your comments-

Afloatsober- I just celebrated my 26 year anniversary. I will be married 26 years and 28 days to be exact. Sad, and I don't think I will ever understand alcoholism, but its my life.

I reached out to him (once again) about getting sober. He informed me "I would gladly try and work on marriage with you but you are not dictating when I drink or smoke." " I currently DO still have a job and and belong to 3 clubs that I am active in and XXX gig plus other work. ... (Plus, he loves me...) " This is what I received from him.

The old saying is "when people show you who they are believe them the first time"
It sucks!!
Old 10-14-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

" but you are not dictating when I drink or smoke."
That is the one thing that can count on being a honest statement.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

You deserve someone that will love you first and foremost.
I wish you all the happiness in your future
Old 10-14-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Priorities change when there is an addiction involved!!

For me alcohol became the sole focus of my day, when was I going to drink again, do I have enough alcohol in my house for tonight, how am I disposing of all the empties, will people smell it on my breath at work, am I over the limit driving.

Before I knew it everything else in life was pushed to the fringes, my goal in life became facilitating my next drink, it became an obsession, a constant thought process that dictated my daily activities.

I'm not sure on the question of "love", but when an addiction is concerned, everything else in life sadly, and regrettably, takes a back seat!!
Old 10-14-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Priorities change when there is an addiction involved!!

For me alcohol became the sole focus of my day, when was I going to drink again, do I have enough alcohol in my house for tonight, how am I disposing of all the empties, will people smell it on my breath at work, am I over the limit driving.

Before I knew it everything else in life was pushed to the fringes, my goal in life became facilitating my next drink, it became an obsession, a constant thought process that dictated my daily activities.

I'm not sure on the question of "love", but when an addiction is concerned, everything else in life sadly, and regrettably, takes a back seat!!
+1
I loved my wife and certainly didn't want to leave her.
And I was happy to be around her when we were both drinking.
But she didn't want to drink all the time.
So I would sometimes do other things with her while thinking about getting away and going for a drink.
She certainly came a distant second to alcohol.
Now my little girl and wife both are the centre of my world.

It's bizarre how drink (or drugs) can take us from the ones we love.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

For me, I just wanted to turn off the thinking because I only thought how horrible everything was, including myself. Seems crazy now. I often wondered why she put up with me but she did. It's almost as if I pushed her far enough away, she would leave and I could have felt justification at how I didn't deserve love and she deserved better. Again, insanity.

I'm sorry for the pain that you're going through. Take care of yourself, work your recovery and get better. There is still a good happy life out there for you.