Notices

Anyone use Xanax or had problems?

Old 10-12-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone use Xanax or had problems?

My doctor recommended that I use Xanax periodically for anxiety during a time recently when I had found a couple lung tumors which turned out to be benign.

They said they thought I should keep using Xanax occasionally as needed for anxiety because I am a very nervous and anxious person sometimes. Also, I speak in front of large groups often and am able to do it, but sometimes the anxiety and fear takes a toll.

However, after a month of taking .5 mg Xanax occasionally, maybe 5-14 times a week I felt even worse anxiety after it wore off. I decided to quit Xanax because the withdrawal symptoms between doses were severe and worse than any alcohol withdrawal I ever felt.

My plan now is just to relax, meditate, and make it on my own. I never felt physically dependent on alcohol, but after one month, I felt I could not go without Xanax or even make it through the day and it scared me. Has anyone had any similar experiences with Xanax?

Does anyone think I am I blowing Xanax problems out of proportion? My doctor said that anxiety could lead me to drink again, causes blood pressure spikes, etc and that I should consider taking something? But, I feel that just working on my mental state and having faith in my sobriety and program will get me to where I need to be.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Xanax is a mood altering substance and it can be addictive. Many people have become addicted to Xanax. Personally, I won't use it for those reasons.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Xanax was extremely addictive for me. My tolerance to it was high. I don't suggest it for an alcoholic, the only time it might be useful is if you're in acute withdrawal. I quite Xanax cold turkey about five years before I quit drinking.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In my experience, Xanax was an extremely slippery slope. I identify as an alcoholic however, I was prescribed it for anxiety. I used it while sober but it quickly became a dependence issue for me and I decided to not refill my prescription and I experienced withdrawals like I've never had before. Headaches were the worst part. I now go to acupuncture for my anxiety which actually works so much better!
Old 10-13-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had big trouble with Xanax.
And benzo withdrawal is the worst possible withdrawal there is.
It can also be fatal, so perhaps speak with your doc.
My anxiety didn't leave until I was free of booze and benzos.
Good luck.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Xanax is very addictive and it amazes me that doctors just hand it out. Awful.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've used a benzodiaziprine other than Xanax (tamezipan) and developed tolerance for it: Without increasing the dosage it no longer had its desired effect. I quit taking it cold turkey and it was a tough ten days (insomnia, panic attacks, paranoia). I've since learned that there is a medical protocol for benzo withdrawal that is much safer than the approach I used. The sad thing is that I can get a prescription for it any time I ask but the good thing is I'll never again ask.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Better living through chemistry. My anxiety and mental issues have affected me longer and worse than alcohol ever did. I'm for sure researching now on various pills and plan on getting ahold of something soon.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The Dr gave an old friend of mine Xanax after his wife left him. After that, I was done with him too. It's really not my style to cut people loose but it made him into a dangerous zombie. I guess he was already an alcoholic but Xanax just made it much much worse. I was so disturbed that I did some research. I guess it's a relatively common party/rave combo--booze and Xanax. I thought cocaine and drinking was bad!
Old 10-13-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

I'm not gonna argue with your consensus going from an altered state from xanax back to un-altered reality is a dramatic shift and yeah could be worse then just coping with things as they are. Its what keeps me from getting xanax even tho at times I desperatly want something like it to calm me down!.

Meditation mindfulness going for walks proper diet and exercise go a long way nothing is a magic bullet you are who you are by nature all you can do is work with what you got. Dont put yourself in situations that are going to trigger all this if you can help it and if you do have a plan to cope with the anxiety that will surely arise.

I've had to simplify my life more and more and more to cope with all these sorts of things. Sure I could probably start tackling more then i'm capable of and then take a xanax or say drink a beer in order to calm me back down but I dont wanna go there. those are quick fixes but have long term problems for me. I'm better off making sure there is time for a walk in my routine and proper food in my pantry etc...
Old 10-13-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I decided to share this because it's something I will never forget. If you are taking Xanax, under no circumstances drink.

To make a very long story short, my X husband mixed Xanax with booze. He has never been a violent person nor a criminal. We are talking a man with a college degree and productive in the community (not that it matters, addiction does not care who you are).

He broke into someone's house, trashed their home in a rage, jumped off the roof and was found limping down the road. Picked up by the police who called me bc his car was still there and was registered in my name also. I went there and NEVER would have believed in a million years he had done this if I did not see evidence of him there. (His shirt as he was wearing two, his hat, car, etc). These people were not home thankfully. Nor does he know them. He woke up in jail the next day and had no idea why he was there.

He escaped jail, barely. He does not remember to this day. I however will never forget as this ruined our marriage and nearly gave me a nervous breakdown. In addition the monetary cost was about $35k.

Please please be careful mixing benzos w/other drugs or alcohol. They are highly addictive and cause blackouts that can become violent.

Stay safe.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was given Xanax (alprazolam .5) by my Dr. about 3 years ago. I never had anxiety until I started to have to fly once to twice a week for my job.

I am not a big fan because it never made me feel better, just unnaturally sleepy, so I never asked for another prescription. (but different folks react different to medications)

But most of all, I don't want to crack open the door for a new problem because I was told it can be addictive.

There are many other anti-anxietiy meds you can talk to your doctor about. Be honest with them about how you felt and reacted while on Xanax.
There may be alternatives, including non pharmaceutical ones.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
p***enger

Taken at low doses as medically prescribed, Xanax (alprazolam) is not necessarily problem for all people, and in my experience, it does help calm symptoms of severe anxiety. I'm prescribed it at .25 mg, which is the lowest dosage. I've have been taking one pill nightly and rarely 1 during the day for several months, and it shows no signs of being a problem -- no high, no abuse, no tolerance.

My perspective is that if using any substance triggers addictive behaviors for you, you should avoid that substance. Xanax can be a problem for people, and withdrawal from benzo abuse is difficult. I'd say that if you can use it without it triggering your addiction while you learn non-chemical methods for anxiety control, it's okay, but it's not a long-term remedy for anxiety or for anything else.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can't take benzos....period! I mixed Ambien with alcohol about 4 years ago...tried to kill myself by taking the whole bottle. Ended up in an ambulance/hospital/rehab.

Believe it or not, even after all of that, the same doctor kept prescribing them to me. The only reason he stopped was because I would be brutally honest with my therapist...I told her that as long as he prescribes them, I'm gong to take them. She finally put an end to that...I believe there's a warning on my medical file now.

Long story short...they make me suicidal, and are highly addictive. Withdrawal is ugly. Would not recommend them for an alcoholic/addict.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've read of studies that measure anxiety pre Xanax exposure and post exposure, and anxiety levels increase over time, exceeding levels that prompted Xanax use to begin with. Insomnia worsens, also, after benzos are ceased.

And rebound anxiety between doses is common.

And benzo withdrawal occurs in many people with or without abuse. Many have suffered mightily after exposure to low doses over short periods of time following their prescription.

Others can take benzos short term with and get off with no problems, but as a benzo survivor my recommendation would be not to take chances.

From what I've read, benzos are to be taken only short term, like two to four weeks, and it baffles me that doctors prescribe them to patients for months and years.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have experience with Klonopin, Paxil, and drinking along with it. (Klonopin's kinda like Xanax, except it has a longer half-life.) I began having suicidal thoughts, and my short term memory was affected, too. Not good. That was how I wound up in detox, to get off Klonopin and booze.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I used Xanax periodically everyday for a long time before I got clean and sober.

The cure (for my anxiety) got to be worse than the problem for me.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

As a former alcoholic, Benzos are a no-no for me. That's all I have to say about that matter.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Benzos are a very messed up thing to be addicted to. The withdrawals are some of the worst, in my experienced opinion.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The most useless drug on the planet. You got away-call it a win.