Notices

Antabuse/Disulfiram

Old 10-11-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antabuse/Disulfiram

Hello everyone,
I'm new to these forums. But I have completed a 42 day rehab program and am now out on my own. I have just picked up a prescription for Antabuse. The reason I chose to take it is because I am going to be continuing on with my therapy and will be digging deep again. I like the idea of taking something that will prevent me from consuming any alcohol while I continue to battle my demons with the continued therapy. I know the pill alone won't do that, just a little extra help knowing I can't just sneak off and fall off track. But anyways, I haven't taken it yet, because there are a few things I'd like to know for sure before I start. My doctor and pharmacist informed me not to have any sort of alcohol in any products I use. And going through my toiletries I have found to my amazement that ALL of my products have some sort of alcohol in it! Before I go spend an arm and a leg on new soaps, face care products, shampoo, etc. I'd like to hear any feedback from anyone who may have some knowledge in this field. I can understand not consuming any with alcohol in it, but will a lotion or face wash send me off to have a reaction? Thank you in advance.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience here BentleyBee, but welcome

D
Old 10-12-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have to preface my reply with a warning. Some people are very sensitive to Antabuse and can react to perfumes and the like, so the recommendation is to avoid any alcohol containing products.

That said, I have used Antabuse regularly for years and never modified the products I used. I am more careful with food though.

I still use my aftershave and deodorant with alcohol in them without any issues. As a guy I don't have any makeup or facial products though.

I was told by my doctor to try spraying a small amount on my arm to see if I came out in a rash. If not it was probably ok to use. That's what I do.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I took Antabuse. I didn't have any problems with deodorant or after shave or anything.

Id guess that the amount of alcohol that could actually be absorbed through the skin, would be tiny, so if it did turn out to effect you... It wouldn't make you much more than slightly nauseous.

I can't imagine it would trigger the full blown effects that it is designed to trigger when you actually ingest a larger dose. Ie: drink a glass of wine or a bottle of beer.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi.
I have no experience using it but have heard of some dangers many may not realize. The things that many use on a daily basis like perfume can be harmful along with sleep aids and mouth wash. Some foods can be dangerous as many times not that much alcohol is cooked out as we might think.
Just be aware.

BE WELL
Old 10-12-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All it does is make you feel nauseous, like a car sick or sea sick feeling, the feeling becomes more intense, the more alcohol you ingest.

If you keep drinking past the nausea, vomiting starts and the vomiting gets even more intense again if you still keep trying to drink.

That's exactly what it is designed to do, just put you off the idea of drinking by making you feel sick or actually sick.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please lets keep to personal experience and away from medical advice, thanks

My doctor and pharmacist informed me not to have any sort of alcohol in any products I use.
I would try and avoid those products then - replacing them may cost a few dollars but it's worth the peace of mind, surely?

D
Old 10-12-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! I will try some skin tests on Monday. And I will have to do some skin tests with the products I use at work as well. See if I have to wear gloves with certain lotions, or any products from the facial line we carry. But it's just a short term pain in the butt for long term gain right?!

I'm being selfish and waiting till Monday because I'd like some yummy desserts that are going to be at my parents Thanksgiving dinner! Cause I will not take the chance of ingesting some vanilla extract while having Antabuse in my system. And my therapy has not started yet so I'm feeling strong enough with my plans in place to wait another day.

Thank you again for everyone's input. I truly appreciate it! I'll post my experience with the skin testing. Fingers crossed!
Old 10-12-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My personal experience is that no externally used products cause me any problems.

Edit - I just noticed you're talking about lines you carry. Do you work with these products on your hands all day? I'd discuss that with a doctor as you may absorb that alcohol.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No, not all day. Majority of my clients are waxing clients, gloves are on anyways. I may have a facial a couple times a week. And I wear gloves while I do my pedicures, so that lotion won't be an issue. I get a few manicures through out the week. Any nail work I will be wearing gloves because alcohol is used as a dehydrator. If I will be doing lots of work with lotions or face care that day, I would wear gloves anyways just encase. Don't want to take the chance at all.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For my first ~9 months of sobriety, I used disulfiram as prescribed by a doctor. Worked for me. I had no issues with any products or foods. Seemed to make me sleepy, though.

Good luck, BB and be safe. Ask the doc as many questions as you need to.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Never had an issue with anything like that.
I DID end up purple and pretty sick after taking flu-medicine one night, so watch out for that.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

First day of taking it today. Going to do some skin tests later today! Wish me luck.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
skg

If you're not drinking your aftershave, it shouldn't be a problem. If you're switching to vanilla extract, mouthwash, liquid-sterno, or Ny-Quil, you might want to reconsider. Antabuse really screwed up my drinking and other addictions so I quit taking it. It also made me (more) prone to mental lapses--especially when consuming aspartame (diet soda).
Turns out I'm alcoholic and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy was just another 'good idea' advised by someone with no experience with alcoholism.
Your results may differ, of course, if you're different.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Living Sober

If it's already been mentioned, then I apologize, but remember the dressings and sauces.

I ordered an Italian dish, made with a wine sauce, while I was on it. I did not feel anything negative, but I stopped after the first two bites after I remembered. I'm also guessing most of the alcohol was cooked out as well.

Good luck!
Old 10-16-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I agree with Slim Jim.

I had no problems with deodorant and moisteriser on my face. but I did change to an alcohol free moisteriser later on... I mean why not really there's a lot of sensitive skin products that are alcohol free.

I had a small reaction at work caused by inhaling the fumes of white spirits cleaning solvent... But that stuff will make you feel like crap anyway so not sure if related.

I found Antabuse very helpful with therapy, without therapy I ended up quitting the pills and drinking again. It gave me some breathing room to work on emotional upsets which I used to drink over. I had very poor emotional management skills.

all the best.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh salad dressings! I never thought of that. Thank you.

So this is day four, and besides from feeling groggy for a couple hours after taking the pill, I'm doing great. I did go and buy a facial line with no alcohol in it to use at home for the mean time. Also an antipersperant as well. But I have been slowly testing everything on the inside of my arms, and no reactions yet. Thankfully.

It is really amazing how many products do have an alcohol in them though and how difficult it was fine just one without any in it. Blew my mine a bit.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am new to this forum but have used antabuse(aka disulfiram) for many months now. I have heard that some people are so sensitive to the antabuse + drinking reaction that even skin based products can cause a problem. Fortunately I have not ever had any problems with external use products that you use on your skin.
Also, I have not had any problems with unexpected alcohol in foods like salad dressings, etc.
The only problem I ever had was with cold medicine. Certain liquid night time cold and cough medicines sold in the United States under brand names like Nyquil or store brand equivalent contain up alcohol--10% to 20% or more by volume. I took this medicine and had a bit of a problem. Fortunately the amount was so small that it didn't last very long and wasn't very severe.

My advice is just read the labels of medicines, especially liquid medicines. You need to read not just the "active ingredients" list, but you also need to check the list of "inert" or "inactive" ingredients to see if there is any alcohol.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

One more caution RE antabuse

The one problem I did have with antabuse was very surprising to me. It was from caffeinated drinks, in my case coffee. I didn't know it at the time, but antabuse also interferes with your body's methods of metabolizing caffeine. The first few mornings I was on antabuse I drank my usually hearty fill of coffee. I had shaking and was jittery. Worst of all I had really bad anxiety that lasted all day long.
I called my doctor and told her I needed to quit the antabuse because of anxiety side effects. She told me about the caffeine issue and said I should have no more than one cup of coffee per day. I have followed that advice and have been fine ever since.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I take antabuse and find it a godsend. I did have a problem with burning on my face one time when I used an astringent face lotion and didn't realize it had a lot of alcohol in it. I don't use skin sanitizers such as Purell, for the same reason. As someone said, liquid Nyquil caused a slight reaction but I have found that the nyquil capsules are ok to take if I need a product such as that for a cold or flu. This is what antabuse is designed to do, and it has worked perfectly for me. The scare stories you will probably hear about people dying when they drink on antabuse should not scare you because if you don't drink on it the severe side effects won't happen. I have not had any side effects since I started taking it and consider it a mracle as it is the only thing that has allowed me to keep from drinking while I am working out the problems in my personal life through therapy.