Notices

Resentment toward religion

Old 07-26-2004, 04:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Resentment toward religion

I have a sucessful AA program going for myself, but I still get a toe curling resentment toward holy-rollers, bible-thumpers and moralists.

I cant stand em, I cant believe that other people fall for their lame religion sales pitches.

Something I got to work out for myself, but this is a hard one for me to deal with.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Birddog
but I still get a toe curling resentment toward holy-rollers, bible-thumpers and moralists.
I used to. I honestly don't even hear them in the rooms anymore. They're still there, but I've tuned them out. The real victory for me is that on the rare occasion that one of them actually says something relevant to my recovery, I'm capable of removing the bullsh!t filters and accept their esh as a gift.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

I actually envy them a little bit. I read a comment on Christianity once in a dumb detective novel that actually seemed kind of astute to me. Two Jewish guys were talking about how great Christianity is - you can repent at the 11th hour after a lifetime of sin and in return you're granted an eternity of indescribable joy and fulfilment in the presence of God. One guy observes with a shrug that there's one catch - "You have to believe it."

There was a time in my life I really resented being preached to, and I'm still not a fan of U.S. religious conservative politicians. But there's a part of me that admires that kind of faith, at least where it is also accompanied by both thought and compassion for others.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

People that easily led scare me.

I see organized religion as nothing more than nonsensical mumbo-jumbo, wrapped up in an intolerent package.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lightbulb

What do you identify as your Higher Power?

I am not trying to be judgemental, just curious.
My Higher Power is God, I believe I am tolerant, I am not a Bible thumper, but I do take the opportunity to share my experience, strength and hope and that is for me a result of my relationship with Christ. I am sorry you have had bad experiences with Christians--just as in any organized group there are the good and the bad. Most of us are good and care for you in a way that we want you to share in our joy.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

I sometimes get urked when some go overboard with their religious convictions. But it's not for me to judge or question their faith. I'm comfortable and happy with my program and a Higer Power of MY understanding, I respect their right to firmly and vehemently proclaim their belief system so long as they respect my right to not listen someday's!
Old 07-26-2004, 06:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Yes!! Sharing joy!!
Old 07-26-2004, 06:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's important for me to remember that the religion I often hear presented in AA meetings should not be considered to be be representative of that entire religion. There are many, many variations in religion. I have to be careful that my skepticism does not cause me to be intolerant of people whose spirituality manifests itself in religion. I try to be very careful of this, because frankly, I've heard a lot of anti-religion in AA meetings, and I sometimes wonder how welcome a religious person might feel. Further, I've learned a great deal, particularly about meditation, when I've taken the time to talk to religious folk - not necessarily the same folks I hear in meetings. Just my opinion.

Elly
Old 07-26-2004, 06:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Chy

Well said Elly!
Old 07-26-2004, 07:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What i consider to be a higher power, or underlining power defys description, it is very elusive.
Perhaps its nothing more than the positive effect of having faith, perhaps it is nothing more than having faith in having faith, which I sometimes believe it might be.
Just faith in something, which is what I decided to be open minded about when I found that I no longer needed to drink.
so, chicken or egg?

But, I feel these people have tried to trademark this faith phenomena and have corrupted it in a way that only humans can, and for so many years I turned the idea off completely because I did not like these people and I did not want to be like them, still don't.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Grateful myself that AA is not as anti religious as many members themselves may be.

It was my prejudices I had to deal with when I came in the doors. Thank God for the Chapter We Agnostics in helping me to weed through my own prejudices.

(((((((all SR members))))))))) Mutual Respect is Key to Harmony.
Three Legs
Old 07-26-2004, 07:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by 3legacy
Mutual Respect is Key to Harmony.
Amen.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Birddog

You could do what I did.... read the bible for yourself. Find out first hand what is written rather then take someone's word for it. Go around religion and find the answers for yourself.
There is a verse in the bible that tells you to do just about that....
It is better to trust the Lord then to trust any man.
Seek the answers for yourself.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 3legacy
Mutual Respect is Key to Harmony.
???

I have found that 3 or 4 people with a good singing voice can be a great key to great Harmony *LOL*
Old 07-27-2004, 02:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Two points!!

I have a sucessful AA program going for myself, but I still get a toe curling resentment toward holy-rollers, bible-thumpers and moralists.

I cant stand em, I cant believe that other people fall for their lame religion sales pitches.

Something I got to work out for myself, but this is a hard one for me to deal with.
1)I work with and for a guy who is "Born Again." A good number of the people who use the gym I work at are of the same belief. I have learned that everyone has a program....even these people. I believe what makes me comfortable and they do the same. My AA program is successful if I don't drink. However, in step ten it says "Love and Tolerance is our code." The success of my program depends on more than just not drinking.

2)If you look closely at some of the posts here at SR you'll find people who don't particularly like AAs or the AA program all that much for the same reasons.

Bottom line is if I expect to be tolerated in my beliefs, I have to be willing to tolerate others. Don't have to like it, but I have to do it.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by best
Birddog

You could do what I did.... read the bible for yourself. Find out first hand what is written rather then take someone's word for it. .
I read the most all of Bible when I was younger, didn't do a thing for me, just mumbo-jumbo and drivel, most of it very violent.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Birddog-

Maybe if you read the Bible now as an adult it would be different for you. Or try meditating on verses in Proverbs for a start maybe.....I love the book of Matthew and the beautitudes...which are also great for meditation.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I read the most all of Bible when I was younger, didn't do a thing for me, just mumbo-jumbo and drivel, most of it very violent.
I didn't start to read the bible till I was 42. When I was 35 I would argue and yell at people who tried to tell me I was going to hell in a hand basket.
I started reading for the wriong reason. I was reading to please someone else, not for myself.
Thing is though, as I started to read, I found the words jumped off the page and shouted out truths to me.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

I think that if religion is right for someone, it's right. When it is intollerant of someone who has a different belief, it is wrong. Personal spiritual paths are personal. Some get a lot out of organized religion. They want to share that. Good for them. If they are ignorant to the fact that there is more than one spiritual path to fulfillment, I try to be tolerant of that. Hugs, Magic
Old 07-27-2004, 09:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I can choose to see others as shoving things down my throat.or i can see others as being so excited about what they believe in,,that they shout for joy,sharring it.,sharring it,,and sharring it..lol...
I am responsible for what i choose to see in others.If what im choosing is making me unhappy i can change my thoughts about it,at any given time.If im looking for unity,and harmony,i put my judgements,away.For im human,and my judgements comes from my own self,and are limited..They show you who i am.Not who the others are..Has nothing to do with others out there.Willingness,,openmidness,,those are the keys for me.Love and tolerance is our code.When i practice these,i become stronger within.Not easy to do mind ya,,,but,,hey im at peace...When i open my mind,,then my heart is open,to see that we are all just doing the best that we know how to,at the time..
Thanks for letting me share....