Notices

Things so far

Old 10-08-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Things so far

Life?

So here i am a year later, sober and working again. It's a seasonal job and so i'll be out of here when the tours' up in a couple of months then it's visiting people for the holidays and then back out west. At least i'll have unemployment which will pay the rent for a few months as i'm looking at the cheapest SRO type place i can find.

After the worst of withdrawal was over i felt damn great even if i was homeless and penniless. Once tax season came around i knew i would have money to make a move with and so i began checking out job leads and regions. The Dakotas, Alaska, west Texas, whereever i can get things going again. Sure enough i got a call from one of my past coworkers and jumped on a bus. A couple of thousand miles later, here i am. Now that homelessness is out of the picture for now i have to figure on getting past the level where i've spent the majority of my life, which is absolutely going nowhere. The big difference this time is that i have a shot at something big, a true one hundred percent life changer. High risk, high reward. Plans are already complete, having run through the scenarios for years. Only things left is sharpening the edge and waiting.

Some misery managed to make a comeback. Depression, self doubt, self loathing, full realization of lack of desireable social traits or skills, awareness of age and waste of a life, hopelessly stuck in the past pondering what ifs. A sober life can be pretty much crap if you are damaged. You don't cope, you endure. Maybe things will be different when i get back to the real world. Have to be totally focused and prepared to do battle.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

Congrats on the 1 year thats awesome.

which is absolutely going nowhere.
I dunno you've seemed to have gone somewhere this past year. Why do you need a destination maybe nowhere is somewhere? Make sure your happy with what is that way if you get "somewhere" you'll be happy there as well.

Thats something I'm working really hard on myself. Happiness is right here right now for me but I just gotta seize it. I'm not always so good I tend to look at somewhere or something ahead all the time too.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your mind and attitude are already pointed in the right direction. Just keep propelling yourself forward! You will make it!
Old 10-08-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
quat

Didn't go anywhere? How about from this side of the sun alll the way around and back again, perspective
and it sure doesn't sound like backward, congrats and onward!
Old 10-08-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to see you carbonized. Wonderful news that you have a year.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job Carbonized! You've accomplished something difficult, challenging and something many people aren't able to. It takes focus, struggling through pain, grappling with cravings, and fighting a host of demons. Well done!

Originally Posted by Carbonized View Post
Some misery managed to make a comeback. Depression, self doubt, self loathing, full realization of lack of desireable social traits or skills, awareness of age and waste of a life, hopelessly stuck in the past pondering what ifs. A sober life can be pretty much crap if you are damaged. You don't cope, you endure. Maybe things will be different when i get back to the real world. Have to be totally focused and prepared to do battle.

You called yourself 'damaged'. And I'm sure you'll look back at the past to find reasons to keep up that belief. But I've learned that keeping that idea in your head 'I'm damaged', 'I made mistakes that's why life sucks' is something you are doing to yourself. You don't have to keep those ideas in your head and beat yourself up. Because many extremely successful people have the same exact feelings that you are experiencing.
So I ask myself "Where do these feelings come from?" It's not just our past that creates them. Many good good people are lost in depressions and sometimes act violently towards themselves, because they believe they are 'damaged'.
So don't lock in the belief that 'because of my past, I'm doomed to only enduring life, instead of enjoying life'.

It does take effort. But with effort you can start to feel good and loving towards yourself, but it is possible, and you can leave your past behind. But the feeling of self-love won't just happen naturally. You have to cultivate that self-opinion, like mental exercise.

Congrats on your major accomplishment.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

congrats on a year..
Old 10-09-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AcceptingChange View Post
Great job Carbonized! You've accomplished something difficult, challenging and something many people aren't able to. It takes focus, struggling through pain, grappling with cravings, and fighting a host of demons. Well done!

You called yourself 'damaged'. And I'm sure you'll look back at the past to find reasons to keep up that belief. But I've learned that keeping that idea in your head 'I'm damaged', 'I made mistakes that's why life sucks' is something you are doing to yourself. You don't have to keep those ideas in your head and beat yourself up. Because many extremely successful people have the same exact feelings that you are experiencing.
So I ask myself "Where do these feelings come from?" It's not just our past that creates them. Many good good people are lost in depressions and sometimes act violently towards themselves, because they believe they are 'damaged'.
So don't lock in the belief that 'because of my past, I'm doomed to only enduring life, instead of enjoying life'.

It does take effort. But with effort you can start to feel good and loving towards yourself, but it is possible, and you can leave your past behind. But the feeling of self-love won't just happen naturally. You have to cultivate that self-opinion, like mental exercise.

Congrats on your major accomplishment.
Was actually feeling rather upbeat until a couple of weeks ago. Then i felt tired a lot but couldn't sleep well and began to morbidly recall the past in vivid detail as well as tab up all my various physical and mental problems. I'm quite aware of the technique to track your thought patterns but have been overwhelmed by it all. Even when i sleep it all comes through in dreams also.

Perhaps i need to see if this will subside in time. Maybe i can get a hold of something when i get out of here as i will have decent money and have plenty of connections for pharmaceuticals. I'm also beginning to look for a therapist who can help me find cope with the worst of my problems. It'll be only two-three sessions or so as i will be on the move yet again. I guess time will tell. so i'll just keep doing the same everyday until it's time to leave. At least i don't have to rely on drinking just to make life tolerable.