Notices

Had some drinks - My thoughts

Old 10-06-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mpr View Post
I didn't make the thread to let people know I drank and all was fine that one time but more so to say I drank and I didn't care for it. It might help others out to know they really aren't missing much.
That is a fascinating perspective, I am nowhere near 7 years of Sobriety, but I somehow hope that with doing the other things Sobriety requires, rather than simply not drinking, creating new routines, carving out a new lifestyle, alcohol becomes increasingly pushed to the kerb, eventually maybe to the point that we cease to care for a drink anymore, because our life has been revolutionised with time, it no longer requires alcohol to be a part of it.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

mpr,

You said you didn't really like the drink, but will be drinking again. Why would you consider drinking again if you didn't like it, especially when you then say life is better sober. I know that if say, I tried to eat something I never ate before and didn't like it, I wouldn't eat it again. So why drink again if you didn't like it? Just trying to understand? John
Old 10-06-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
mpr,

You said you didn't really like the drink, but will be drinking again. Why would you consider drinking again if you didn't like it, especially when you then say life is better sober. I know that if say, I tried to eat something I never ate before and didn't like it, I wouldn't eat it again. So why drink again if you didn't like it? Just trying to understand? John
My thoughts too.

Do you want to enjoy it again?

The fact that you said you will do it again is the only thing that has me thinking hawks might have a point. His delivery could use a little work, but that's just IMO.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

MPR, I'll respect your decision even though I'm not sure I agree with it. I wish you the best of luck with your attempt to moderate, but I think you could be playing with fire.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
His delivery could use a little work, but that's just IMO.
Diplomacy ....

"The art of being able to tell someone to "Go to Hell" and have them look forward to the trip."

Old 10-06-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

mpr,
there's a progression throughout your posts from the other thread to here, and it goes from basically "i'm thinking of trying it again but haven't decided anything yet" through people telling you you sound like you've decided to drink again and you rather vehemently denying that, then going to maybe you will maybe you won't to no, you haven't decided and now a few days later bingo, a decision was somehow reached and you decided oh no not to have one drink but more than one, and you've now said you'll drink again in the future, though you do not know when.

then you say that since you didn't "care for it", there's nothing to miss. yet, you will do it again. but you're posting this to help others by letting them know it's not a great thing to do, and that they're not missing out. it doesn't taste good and doesn't do anything for you, really.
but you'll do it again.
hello?

the logic of where you're at and the future drinking seems to rest on the fact that you "didn't care for it". this is screwed-up thinking.

and putting it in terms of posting to help others by telling them they're not missing much or anything (even though you yourself will do it again!) is highly unlikely to be useful to anyone; in all your years here, you've likely read this a thousand times in others' posts, but it didn't convince you whatsoever.

you'll probably consider this a negative post. i do not.

i'm sorry you decided to go back there.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Did you decide to drink again mpr? I thought you had decided it wasn't worth it. Why not just dump the stuff if it sucked so bad?
Old 10-06-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My intent is not to beat up on the OP. That said it's pretty clear where this experiment will lead if continued. I could be wrong and mpr could be a unique drinker but it wouldn't work for me. I have no doubt I could drink one or two tonight, the same tomorrow, and even the next day. But eventually I'd cross the line and get a buzz going then the monkey would be out of the cage. It's like deciding to drive drunk but only if you have three blocks or less to drive. Maybe but it's probably gonna blow up in your face.

Still, best of luck. Let us know how it works for you. Maybe you can have a few painful drinks that you don't enjoy occasionally just to prove you can.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
mpr

Guys I only made this post to let those on the fence they are not missing much that is all.

If I drink again I wont glamorize and post about it, if I moderate I wont announce it, it wont help the majority in their recovery. Right now drinking is not a priority to me but I am open to it at some point. What works for me may not work for somebody else. I don't want to say well in a month I'll have another go at it, or next time my friends are having drinks I'll have a couple etc.. That wont do you any good.

I simply wanted to share the fact that it wasn't what I expected it to be, not as good as I recall it being and really can go with or without it, majority of the time without it because I like being sober. If I have a drink the odd time that is okay and it is on me to deal with. I wont be making a post saying well I drank again... I can moderate... blahblahblah - not my intent. My sole intention was to let those abstaining know to keep on doing so as they really aren't missing much. This helps the people who are like me or that think like me.

You don't need to analyze what I say and question what I will or wont do down the line. I actually received private messages from guys thanking me so I don't regret my post at all, if it helps you awesome, if not well thats okay too but it definitely should not hurt you.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

I read this thread. It doesn't break any rules as far as my reading of the rules goes.
We have people drinking who post here all the time.

You can trust me and the forum team to keep peoples safety and well being here paramount

If this thread offends you you have the right to not read or post it anymore, or to employ the ignore function.

having said that tho... personal observation

mpr, I accept you feel you're doing a service here...but if eleven pages of really good shared experience didn't convince you that drinking would be a bad idea in your last thread, then you coming back here and telling us you 'didn't care for' it is probably not going to influence too many people one way or the other either.... so I'd prepare for a mixed grill of responses if I was you.

it's one thing to say

-I know many miss the drink, think fondly of it at times etc.. I just wanted to say you really aren't missing much. Some things are best left as memories, like a old movie you loved and have it a re-watch - Yep it was that feeling for me.
it's another to add

part of what always bugged me about being sober was I had do be sober, I couldn't drink - I had no say in it.. Now I did it, I have booze on hand at home, I can have it anytime IF I want but I probably wont, not often at least. I like having the option even if it is just so I can decline. I can't even see myself drinking more than 3-4 drinks in one sitting either, anything more just seems crazy to me
It's also worth nothing that 4 shots of JD over 2 hours is not normal drinking and far in excess of CDC guidelines ...yeah?

My own experierence? Very rarely did I return to drinking disastrously. Mostly when I drank again things often went well for a while...I felt none of the old passion or excitement...I felt honestly I could take it or leave it.

It didn't stay that way.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 10-06-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

mpr's posts don't offend me at all. They actually fascinate me. This is the AV at it's finest. Lots to learn here.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
mpr

Dee74 - Its not even that things went well they were just meh all around. Ya I felt okay, had a buzz but I wasn't enjoying myself, not like I used to at least.

If I continued drinking like a normal person hypothetically, I think 7 years later I wouldn't feel the same either. I guess the wow factor and pazazz is just gone.

I don't know what the future holds but I am not drinking today, going to see the equalizer tonight, movie looks bad ass.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

But eventually I'd cross the line and get a buzz going then the monkey would be out of the cage.

Myth,

in my line of thinking, the monkey is out of the cage before you have the first one, never mind a buzz.
the monkey being out is what allows the line to be crossed in the first place, not the line into the buzz-drinking but the line into any return to drinking whatsoever.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lulupalooza View Post
mpr's posts don't offend me at all. They actually fascinate me. This is the AV at it's finest.
Agree.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

mpr,
Maybe you are really trying to help people and I'm just not seeing it, but I do wish you the best. But to me, alcohol is the devil, trying to pick us off one at a time, and I'm concerned that your name is moving up that list. I just hope you are being honest with yourself as far as why you decided to drink again after over 7 years of sobriety. I have also read many times on this forum that the longer a person stays sober, the worse it is if they decide to drink and the harder and quicker they fall. People in AA that had long-term sobriety than went back out again have talked about this also. What they went through was horrible. Then there are those who just disappear.
Don't know why you are willing to take the chance, especially over something you say you don't like anymore, but that's your business. Just don't see the point.
Again, I wish you all the best and hope everything turns out okay for you. John
Old 10-06-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
mpr,
But to me, alcohol is the devil, trying to pick us off one at a time, and I'm concerned that your name is moving up that list.
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
Charles Baudelaire
Old 10-06-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I hate to point fingers or make assumptions about people in regards to their drinking habits (boy did I use to hate all the accusations), but no matter how you try to play it off...based on your posts here as of late you do seem to have quite the obsession with alcohol.

I know I had those occasions (although very rare) where I managed to cut myself off at a few and think "well that wasnt really all that great" or "well I managed to be content with that, I must have things under control now". I was fooling myself, you may or may not be doing the same.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pagekeeper View Post
I'm sorry mpr, but I had to laugh when you said you planned on having a max of 4 drinks, but bought a fifth.

That right there tells me all I need to know!
Yeah, that was telling.

But good luck to the OP anyway.

Only he can decide if he`s got a problem and the doors of AA are always open.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:41 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Mpr, I see a man struggling with his AV. The AV seems to be winning. Remember, it's cunning and manipulative.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:31 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

These threads by mpr make me so sad to read, genuinly they do. about two weeks ago he had no intention of drinking it was just "on the table" mpr said he'd like to have a drink on holiday etc. It took only 2 weeks to buy liquor and sit and drink it at home for no occassion that he mentions. Mpr were you alone when you drank?

I wonder if we will be forced to watch the full decent into madness......it was hard to watch my own, in a way I think it will be more terrible to watch someone else go through it.

Will we get another 11 pages of mpr justifying over and over again why this was a good idea. This was a very bad idea in my view.