Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

30 days sober and never been to an AA meeting can I do it alone?

Notices

Old 10-04-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Technically I'm not alone in my fight I have good friends and family who are very supportive. They all feel I should go to a meeting and every week I say to myself I will but just haven't got up the courage to do so. I don't know why I can't. Maybe deep down I don't want to admit I have a problem but I've know for a few years I do. The last couple of days have been really hard staying sober and I don't know how much longer I can keep it going. Is it strange I can't get myself to go to AA?
Old 10-04-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What is it that has kept you away?
Old 10-04-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
mpr

You can do it alone if you want but you will have to decide if AA is right for you or not. I never went to AA and I don't think I would but that is just me.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Go. You'll feel like you are home.

Everyone will be nice, they'll give you phone numbers, they'll talk about themselves for an hour. They won't make you say anything. You don't ever have to say anything ever, but it's nice to introduce yourself and say you're new (if you want to.)

You'll hear your own thoughts out loud from a bunch of other people. It's actually really interesting. It's safe and comfortable to sit in a meeting. They are you and you are them. They understand.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

If you call your local AA number, it is possible that someone would meet you before the meeting and accompany you to the meeting. Not all groups can do this, and when you call you may just get a machine but leave a message.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

DG I've never used AA, but I would have if I thought I was going to relapse. It may be a great organisation but the religious aspect has kept me away (yeah yeah I know everyone denies it). My doctor was on board, but I only saw him every few months and I used SR a lot.
It depends how you feel within yourself. Are you really struggling or do you feel strong and motivated?
Congratulations on your 30 days! You're doing really well.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

SR has been my support all the way. I always know I can come here. I have never been to AA and have nothing against them, but I feel supported right here. You are not alone and you don't have to do this alone. We are all here with you. Thirty days is awesome.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't know what's stopping me but I do know is that nobody in my life right now knows what I'm going through as much as they try to understand. My sister who I just told today said maybe one day you'll be able to drink. She doesn't get that this is a real problem.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

30 days is amazing well done
Old 10-04-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I have looked at threads started with the words "first AA meeting" in their title. I've done a periodic count of those who reported a positive, negitive or neutral experience. It's run about 80% positive, and 20% negitive or neutral.

Fear is the overwhelming reason for avoiding a first meeting, but comments like "I don't know why I waited so long to go" are very common following a persons first attendence.

The walk from your car through the door of your first meeting is likely to be one of the longest you have ever experienced. The odds are overwhelming that you will be very happy you did it.

My advise is, stare down your fear, please.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

http://www.vancouveraa.ca/?page_id=115
Old 10-04-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Of course you can. Most people quite on their own.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by DGChick View Post
I don't know what's stopping me but I do know is that nobody in my life right now knows what I'm going through as much as they try to understand.
We understand. The folks at AA understand too. Use both if you can, it can really make a difference.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Worst case, you don't like it and you wasted a hour.

Or you could meet people who really understand you in a way that no one else can.
People who have solutions to some of life's problems, and real human contacts nearby.

My feeling is that if I hear one useful thing in a meeting, a solution to a problem, an insight into alcoholism, a tool for coping with a situation, it was worth an hour of my time.

I didn't go to meetings for about eight months, and I was a pretty miserable guy.

This website is cool, but I really like both.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well done on 30 days. It's not strange that you're a little hesitant about going to AA, but I suggest giving it a try. You can always stop going if you don't like it; however, I do suggest attending a dozen or so meetings at different times and locations if possible. I found that each meeting and location had a slightly different dynamic.

Whatever you decide, please don't give in to the urges at 30 days. You've done really well so far; I'm sure you can get through this current hurdle.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome to SR. There is a lot of great support here.

It can be so scary to go to a group the first time. I've even driven to meetings and not had the courage to go inside. But when I finally went inside, they were not so scary. Some meetings were helpful and some not.

Lots of people get sober and stay sober without groups. I go to meetings sporadically.

You mentioned struggling lately. Maybe SR will be enough support. But meetings can help, if you like the meetings that are available in your area. You don't have to say anything at all in a meeting. You could just go to listen.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by DGChick View Post
I don't know what's stopping me but I do know is that nobody in my life right now knows what I'm going through as much as they try to understand
If you're feeling alone and misunderstood get thee to a meeting. It sounds like you need support from people who understand.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
Worst case, you don't like it and you wasted a hour.

Or you could meet people who really understand you in a way that no one else can.
People who have solutions to some of life's problems, and real human contacts nearby.

My feeling is that if I hear one useful thing in a meeting, a solution to a problem, an insight into alcoholism, a tool for coping with a situation, it was worth an hour of my time.

This website is cool, but I really like both.

Hi.
AA is not just about not drinking, it’s about how to live in a more sane manner and how to deal in different lifes situations.
I’ve in +35 years attended many meetings and still today get to 3-5 a week mainly for memory refresh and to hear a new expression I might need that day.
It’s needed as per the examples of so many relapses in and out of the program. We have a tendancy to forget the pain we endured.

BE WELL
Old 10-05-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aborkie View Post
Of course you can. Most people quite on their own.

Being an internet genius I’ll say that most of them are not alcoholics, or stay stopped after a few days if that is true. Who realy knows?
Old 10-05-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hi DGchick,
It's not just a choice between AA and "completely on your own". Remember there are lots of options and choices in between. Explore them and find what speaks to you. It's hard to trust your own thinking and judgement, especially when others might use your past addiction to show you how poor that judgement has been in the past. The truth is, if you really want to be free of addiction and find happiness, you are fully capable of finding a path a walking it.