Notices

Job Hunting While Sober

Old 10-03-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Job Hunting While Sober

I had a job interview this morning and you know I didn't once have to worry about smelling like alcohol. I have drunk until the morning of a job interview. I have had a drink 30 minutes before an interview. Oh the insanity right? Then I would wonder why I couldn't get hired.

I got the job. I didn't have to worry about not having references because I left my last job on good terms.

I didn't have to worry that I had spent my money for transport on alcohol and thus have an interview but no money to get there because that has happened before.

I didn't have to worry in advance that they will make me for an alcoholic soon and fire me. I mean i could get fired but not for drinking.

I had money saved up because I wasn't drinking so I wasn't destitute while I waited for my unemployment.

I didn't worry about getting the job, as I had asked God for his will and not mine to be done.

It has been stressful but not like the last time. When I was drinking and job hunting I was absolutely desperate to get hired more that I could have a regular supply of money to drink rather than wanting to advance professionally.

I was so stressed I had what felt like one continuous asthma attack that lasted weeks and no I had no money for an inhaler and no I didn't have my health insurance card because I never had money left over after drinking to go and get the card renewed and no I didn' t want to see my doctor anyway because I worried about smelling like a brewery all because I had spent the money on alcohol.

I was so stressed and desperate I had full body itching and random sneezing fits. Yay! OMG it was so bad.

While drinking I applied for just over 100 jobs and had 4 interviews over the course of 5 months in order to get a job. This time I applied for 10 jobs maybe over the course of a month.

God works in mysterious ways though. My sister had her baby and then is going back overseas so I won't be able to see my niece until next Christmas. I lost my last job just before she had her baby and I got a new job the week that she is due to travel.

Speaking of which my sister she actually trusts me help take care of her newborn baby. I can put my niece to sleep.....sometimes.

Night and day experiences I tell you.

I cannot say this enough: For anyone who is not sure about getting sober, sobriety is worth the struggle. For anyone who is trying to get sober, keep fighting. It will come and it is worth it.

I'm so very glad for this gift of sobriety.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Im looking for work at the moment

Congrats on the job !!!
Old 10-03-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you.
Well done on the job.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Very well said and congrats on the job. I share your relief and amazement at how much better my life is now. Do I miss drinking? Of course, I'm an alcoholic. Do I want to drink? Not on your life, because there's no way I want to chance life going back to the hell that it was.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Matt M

I lost my job which I had been at for 14 years due to consuming alcohol on the premises and am on the verge of applying for new jobs now after a couple of months to try and get myself together.

Thankfully, when it comes to references, all the company supply is - start date, job role and finish date. That's it.
It's what most companies do now because people started suing them for 'loss of earnings' ie "I didn't get a new job because of what you said in a reference".
Old 10-03-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats! I have also showed up hungover to interviews or straight from the pub where I downed a couple pints. Insanity!
Old 10-04-2014, 02:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thats fantastic, congratulations!!!
Old 10-07-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MattM316 View Post
I lost my job which I had been at for 14 years due to consuming alcohol on the premises and am on the verge of applying for new jobs now after a couple of months to try and get myself together.

Thankfully, when it comes to references, all the company supply is - start date, job role and finish date. That's it.
It's what most companies do now because people started suing them for 'loss of earnings' ie "I didn't get a new job because of what you said in a reference".
Actually another crucial question is...Would you re-hire him?