Notices

5 Days

Old 10-02-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 Days

I am currently a college student majoring in business and minoring in political science, a member of a fraternity, and I admittedly enjoy my Bud Light. I've tried stopping before, and I would just tell my parents: "I can stop if I want to." Although I tried this week, because of a difficult exam, and found it to be very difficult. My freshman year I began drinking heavily and I gained 50 pounds before my sophomore year. I was a competitive and successful swimmer and looking at pictures I have completely thrown all of that away. I have not had a serious relationship in college because the only girls I meet are through parties, mostly because in any other context my social anxiety overwhelms me. I hope to at least get a handle on my drinking if not allow my urge to subside completely. I would like to get back into shape and run a marathon, which was my goal leaving high school. So as I stated in the title, I am five days in. I've had urges to have one, and with half a case in my fridge it has been tempting. My urges are not completely overwhelming, and only been drinking for a few years I don't think I have progressed as far as some may before they seek help. It would just be nice to get a handle on it so I can go out with friends and either not drink or not have to drink 15 beers each night at the bar (It's also eating into my bank account ) So I figured i'd start here.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Getting it under control early is a great first step. Whether you can relearn moderation or not will be seen. Best of luck to you, and whatever support you need, we're here.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Recoverydreams . It's great to have you join us.

I never could control how many I would have. All my best intentions went out the window once it was in my system. I wish it hadn't taken decades for me to admit I would never have the ability to moderate. So much drama and destruction, all so unnecessary. It's good you're taking a hard look at what drinking is costing you. We're very glad you're here.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, RD.

Some heavy drinkers, of which you may be one, can learn to moderate their drinking to the point where it is personally and socially acceptable.

Some heavy drinkers drink heavier and heavier until they cross the line into alcoholism. Generally speaking, alcoholics can't moderate their drinking very well. They are constantly getting s-faced.

Stick around. Read the experiences of others like you. Maybe go to the Newcomers to Recovery forum and have a look-see.

Good luck.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If your thinking you have a problem now, my advice is be careful. I went to a "party school" and well we enjoyed our beer and bars and drugs and debauchery. I ended up graduating and all, but if I did a 5th year, I probably wouldnt have. I agree that you should check in and read posts ask questions. I guarantee there is nothing you could do that someone on here hasnt done before. Might be able to give warning signs that could help you out, if you think you have a problem. Best of luck and enjoy college.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to work as campus PD part time many years ago. Never realized the danger of alcoholism until I stared drinking way too much and faced it years later. It must be tough to hey around it so often.
But, you have goals, don't let booze ruin what you can be. Everybody comes to a crossroad at least a few times in life. Take the road less traveled my friend.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome recoverydreams

I think a lot of us wish we'd done something about our drinking years before we did
I'm glad you've joined us.

D
Old 10-02-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Recovery, I was in a fraternity in college too. To be honest, a frat environment may be the worst place for a guy with a drinking problem. I was a binge-drinker then, like the rest of the frat. We would keep it to Saturdays only usually as far as parties. There was one guy though who developed a serious problem and drank heavily everday. He eventually had to leave after he flunked his exams and needed to sober up.

I don't like your chances of moderating in a frat if you are having trouble already.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! Great to have you onboard!!