Notices

Relapse...how do I get back on the wagon?

Old 09-30-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bayliss View Post
Thanks Pulltight - I won't drink today...

Nice to meet you Lorraine. Maybe we can PM?

EndGame - you're right...I am not so much afraid that my partner is right...I know my partner is right...I am afraid of what he thinks...then again, I am afraid of throwing it all away.
I am seeing someone for my anxiety - not yet for my OCD - still working on that one. I know how much worse it gets when instead of dealing with the issues you drink over them. Of course the relief is there...but it's only temporary...and the next morning it's come back 10-fold.

I know that it doesn't have to be this way - and I will look through what Dee suggested...I will start over again. I can't throw it all away. It wasn't a good night - even though I didn't get sloshed or anything along those lines, my partner and I both caught a glimpse of what it was like in the past...and how it will only get worse.
I guess it's back to day 1.

Thanks everyone.
No, you're not starting over and it's not day one, there's just bumps in the road on your way to living better! Yesterday was a bad day, thats all. Today you will pick up where you left off, move on and carry on.
You haven't lost anything, you've learned something.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Bayliss, As Dee asked " What did you do to stay sober for , those 7 months ? " You must have done something really effective to keep out of it, for 7 months .. It is not a small duration.. I bet , there are still thousands of people in this world, who would want to have 7 days as sober..

The point is, if you could do it then, you can do it now... Somewhere you mentioned that you did it because you had to ....So be it.. Many of us , had to do it, either because we knew that if we continue we will die and that to in a horrible way..

Stay put to the commitment of not drinking.. Even if you think, AA is not for you, try to understand the " allergy " phenomenon.. It is a scientifically proven fact..I am not in AA.. But I do believe in " Doctor's Opinion " .. Whether this abnormal condition was inherited through genetics or whther we drank ourselves into it... That is besides the point.. It is a progressive illness and there is nothing called " Normal Drinking " .. If " Normal drinkers " were to live for 300 or more years and if they drink continue to normally, somewhere they would become abnormal too..... Think it over.. It is a simple truth. Wishing you best of luck.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
EndGame

Put down the drink. Start today. We're only as good as yesterday.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well, it's fairly simple. You get back on the wagon by not drinking today. Great, problem solved. Unless of course you're like me and found that impossible to maintain for any serious length of time. Over many years, I had brief stints of sobriety. But always within a few days, weeks, or months (7-8 was my longest), I would for some insanely trivial reason (or maybe a really good reason, at least so I thought) I would pick up a drink.

That is, as I know it, the classic definition and problem of alcoholism. Why couldn't I just leave it alone, knowing full well where it would lead?

I'll tell ya, bayliss, it took a whole lot more than just not drinking for me to solve that problem. I'm a serious AAer, and have been for many years. I can tell you that I still put a lot of time and effort towards living that way, but I put zero time (or even thought) into not drinking. It's a non-issue for me.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks so much guys for your advice. It really honestly helped me get through yesterday.
llastchance8 & pulltight - thank you for having me realize that the last seven months are not a wash - because if I begin to get into this mindframe then who knows when my next relapse will be or how long this one would have lasted (I am on day 2 now).
I need to know that I worked my butt off for those seven months - and they don't mean nothing.

keithj - thank you for your post and that last sentence particularly - makes so much sense to me. should make so much sense to a lot of us. it's 110% true.

endgamenyc - day 2 for me. we're only as good as yesterday - thank u.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am just on day 3 after 26 years of drinking. And I am only 40. We can do this together!
Old 10-01-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

you just get back on..for me, It was better if I put it down mid day...then I'd take a nap, order takeout for the family, and I'd be able to actually go to bed (not pass out) and the next day I felt almost normal. ITS getting those hours together..the ones where you feel regular.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

How are you doing, Bayliss?

Hope you're back on track again with your sobriety.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You too, ESD - how are you both doing?