Notices

What do I do?

Old 09-28-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do I do?

Hey I just signed up.
I need some help from you guys, I dont drink hard or do any drugs but beer seems to run my life. I start drinking as soon as I can. I avoid the things I need to to because of it. Work is getting harder and harder to goto. I always feel like i will stop tomorrow just have another beer today. but tomorrow never comes.

Where should I start?

thanks
Old 09-28-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Joe!!

Sounds like alcohol is becoming progressively damaging to your life, work is getting harder to go to, you drink when you can, alcohol takes priority over other things in life, and you find it hard to not have a drink, good intentions but it never happens, I was once there Joe!!

Time to re evaluate your relationship with alcohol, for me that meant parting ways from the friend I thought had my back, but actually was increasingly making life difficult for me, alcohol was doing me no favours and would have lead me to destruction had I not taken action!!

For me the first step was accepting the reality of things, the next step was taking steps to deal with it, SR is a great place of support to help you achieve it!!

Great to have you here!!
Old 09-28-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Now is as good a time as any. Get rid of the beer in your house--if you can't pour it down the drain yourself, call somebody else to take it away. Drive home a different direction from now on. Avoid anyplace where you might be tempted to get beer, and post here often. I hung on here 24/7 at the beginning. The support here was really a lifesaver.

Try AA
Old 09-28-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here Joe- Welcome

Beer was my drink too - and my addiction became every bit as destructive as anyone elses.

It all starts with a day one and a decision not to drink today.

Can you manage that do you think?

D
Old 09-28-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Joe.

I used to drink beer. A few beers is not a problem. But I drank a LOT of them. Got drunk a lot.

Do you drink enough beers to get drunk? Often?
Old 09-28-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Are you in a relationship if so have they commented? Has family?
Old 09-28-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just ended a long term relationship about six months ago, we both drank alot together. she has since spiraled out of control because of the drink. I was great for awhile, it was easy with a fresh start but then a few a day turned into a case a day.

I have an amazing family of support who doesnt know a thing about it because im embarrassed so i havent said anything.
Ive found i spend alot more time alone because i dont want anyone to know how bad it is.
No i never really get drunk, years of this have built up enough of a tolerance i guess. just enough to have that feeling all day and feel like sh*t every morning.

my life is good but i feel like if this continues it will take a horrible change. I know it will.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hope for you that you continue to find people to talk to and don't turn to drinking. My husband battles addiction and it is very hard. We are currently not speaking cuz he would rather do his stuff than be a husband and blames me for any and all his habits. It's one day at a time no matter how hard it is.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey joe glad you came here. Arm yourself with information about alcoholism. Its a progressive disease. There is not a soul here that will tell you life gets better if you continue drinking. Not a one my friend. Quit now for good. Join a support group. Take action. Pray. And just plain resolve not to destroy your health and life anymore. Were here for ya. Welcome to sr.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Joe
You may want to check out Rational Recovery. You can google it, but there is a great thread in the secular recovery section about it. It really helped me in my thinking about alcohol that I didn't have before. Just a thought. . .
Old 09-28-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You sound just like me, but for me it's wine. Admitting your problem to this group and thus to yourself is the first step. Congrats! My husband knows about the issue, but no one else and I intend to keep it that way. Welcome to the group!

Pour out all the beer right now and do not stop by the liquor store on the way home from work tomorrow
Old 09-28-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was also a beer drinker. I hardly ever drank until I got off work. But I was a 5 oclock drunk. I always told myself if I let my 'partying' get in the way of work,I was going too far. Man was that a crock. That was all I did most of my life. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. I went to work,got off drank beer. For 30 + years until I finally got fed up and quit.
I had to put sobriety above everything else. The first month was hell. After that it got easier. When I was drinking,I never got up in the morning and exclaimed"MAN I'M GLAD I GOT DRUNK LAST NIGHT". But I do wake up and Go "MAN I'M GLAD I DIDN'T GET DRUNK LAST NIGHT"
All ya gotta do is not pick up the first drink.
I wish you the best..... Fred