Notices

Dreams

Old 09-28-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreams

I made it through day 2 and last night I had the most bizarre dreams. Has anyone else had this happen?
Old 09-28-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

yes. soon enough sleep will return to normal. alcohol interrupts the entire sleep cycle. you are just getting your brain to learn to sleep without alcohol again.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not only will your dreams be screwed up, but your head will be feeling rather strange for at least a month.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yep, my brain took several weeks or calm down and start getting some normal sleep
Old 09-28-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Stay strong and don't drink. Normal sleep pattern will return. Ur gonna love it. Trust me.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been sober for about 6 months. I always heard everyone talk about dreams they have had. I never had one until about 1/2 weeks ago. I had a dream that I drank! I was so relieved to wake up and see that it was just a dream. I thinks that I am just getting a little worried when I hear about relapse.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My dreams during withdrawal were more like nightmares. I remember jumping up awake. The dreams are normal for many people.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I was around 1 month sober I was still having the bizarre dreams. I usually didn't dream much at all when I was just passing out drunk. I was actually happy to be dreaming anything again. Everyone is different but you will notice changes in your sleep patterns. Hang in there, while some of it is unpleasant it's just your body and mind readjusting and correcting itself. Sleep is always better when sober.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Matt M

I have had mental dreams for years, some are so mental I wouldn't even repeat them.
At one point I started writing them down, but then realised that if someone found what i'd written they'd probably have me commited!!
Occasionally the dreams are just weirdly mundane, but generally they are insane.

Even now I have got out of bed to put shorts on because in a dream someone was going to come into the room.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Yes your sleep will improve this is normal
Old 09-29-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Do you remember how you slept as a child?
In my case that best describes the deep sleep that makes you jump five feet in the air when it's time to wake and seize the day.
It takes time. Patience will be rewarded.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I do have dreams about alcohol and/or drug use. Not as frequent as when I was actively using; but they still do happen, and are pretty random.

Since I got sober 2 years ago I've only had maybe 2, 3, or 4 and it just happens out of nowhere. I don't wake up craving alcohol or wanting to drink though or use other things.

OK, I thought that this topic was about dreams where you dream about drinking or using drugs after you become sober.

I have never experienced very odd dreams while drinking or using other drugs, or when I first became sober.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
mpr

I vaguely recall(been 7 years) having weird lucid dreams when I first quit drinking, maybe for a few days or so. I think it is normal especially if you are used to falling asleep while being under the influence and all of a sudden you stop. They will likely subside with time or it could be you were always to drunk normally to remember them!