Notices

The Knowing Doing Gap

Old 09-27-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Knowing Doing Gap

Have you found that this gap has closed in a big way in recovery? It took me decades to get the quit drinking thing right but the gap is still there in other things. For example, things like dealing with depression, diet, exercise and all of that. I often find myself doing the worst possible things that make the problems worse even though I know better. I often think that as far as self improvement goes it's a never ending uphill battle. Sorry for the late night rant...
Old 09-27-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I get it. I think. Like. U join gym yet never go. U subscribe to healthy meals but never make them? Yeah that was me too. I think it's mot people
M
Old 09-27-2014, 09:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think a big part of it is procrastination, I wish they made anti-procrastination pills.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes Oh my, it's an understatement for me to say that I spent so much of my time gathering info, and seeking out patterns and making "connections" between so many things... I am an info addict for sure.

I worked on some specific things like better daily habits that have made me healthier, and more psychologically fit. So many of the gaps are closing, thankfully!

The biggest mind blower is that I've come to the conclusion that there was a philosophical gap between "becoming" and "being." That was the biggest gap that closed for me.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Totally get this. Have no problem saying no to crack or avoiding anyone who is doing it. Healthy eating and exercising? Did great for a while, but lately not so good.

I am a procrastinator, just like when I was using. Back then, it was "I'll get clean later; I'll deal with the consequences later". Now it's "I'll clean the house later, I'll get back to walking later". Character defect? Probably. Guess I really need to work on this as I'm over 7 years clean, but I'm doing it in baby steps, and it only adds to my stress.

Knowing and doing seem to be something I've not yet got the hang of

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-27-2014, 10:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

"Knowledge is power." -- Sir Francis Bacon

No. It isn't. A fatal flaw in Plato's philosophy; possessing genuine Knowledge or Truth, we will thereby do what is right. No. We won't.

"To know oneself, one should assert oneself. Psychology is action, not thinking about oneself. We continue to shape our personality all our life." -- Albert Camus
Old 09-28-2014, 01:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The gap between knowing and doing was the biggest frustration of my drinking days. I knew what I ought to do, but seemed totally unable to do it. Part of that was procrastination, a character defect that gives lots of people trouble.

Parkinson's law on procrastination " delay is the deadliest form of denial"

It was one of my glaring character defects, something I never fixed myself, but I found very early in sobriety that that pattern of behaviour had been removed. I noticed things that would usually be out off were getting done at the first opportunity. I didn't even think about it, it needed doing so I did it, and then later looked back and thought " that's not me".

But I suppose there is a difference between that which needs to be done and that which is optional. That which we ought to do and that which others think we should do. Perhaps we need to find a way to be true to ourselves.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me procrastination is another form of fear to address still too often. It’s fear of the unknown as it brings out my trying to be a perfectionist, knowing I’m not so I procrastinate UNTIL....
Depression is anger turned inward I just read in a search that was interesting.

BE WELL
Old 09-28-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I get that. Especially with my health. I know I should be doing certain things because eventually it will catch up with me. I knew I should quit drinking long before I actually tried. For me it was a gap of realizing how important it was and then realizing I actually do have a choice. If I know I should do something and then don't I tend to minimize the importance or tell myself that is just how life is.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Action changes thinking better than thinking changes action.

Now if only I could move that wisdom about 18 inch's from my heart to my brain.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
...I suppose there is a difference between that which needs to be done and that which is optional.
I agree. It seems to me, though, that virtually everything is "optional" from the start.

Perhaps we need to find a way to be true to ourselves.
That which I make "mandatory," and on which I take action, will define my "true self." Conversely, that which I take for granted as being "optional" tells me a lot about who I am as a person.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yup, its there. However, I will say that it has all but disappeared since I got Sober. When I was drinking, knowing/doing gap basically applied to EVERYTHING....cleaning, bills, health, quitting drinking.

Very sad, how much I let fall by the wayside.

Bunnez
Old 09-28-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
Have you found that this gap has closed in a big way in recovery? It took me decades to get the quit drinking thing right but the gap is still there in other things. For example, things like dealing with depression, diet, exercise and all of that. I often find myself doing the worst possible things that make the problems worse even though I know better. I often think that as far as self improvement goes it's a never ending uphill battle. Sorry for the late night rant...
I'm going through this exact thing at the moment while trying to stay sober. I know what I should and should not be doing, but am not doing it. I'm the kind of person who is good at giving advice but useless at taking my own. I know this is a big obstacle to recovery.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For me not drinking gave me a free pass to accomplish other things in life I had been neglecting for so many years. Only because I had more energy. Now after 19 months of sobriety I find myself struggling to get motivated on areas that need improvement.
I think its normal for us. We don't need to tackle everything. Makes me wonder if king alcohol is even more cunning than realized. Waiting for us to trip up.

good post, thank you.