Notices

Breaking The Routine

Old 09-27-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Breaking The Routine

The big thing for me after a 13 hour workday on Saturdays is stopping at the store and picking up a bottle. Usually by the time I've been home 15 minutes I'm already buzzed and then asleep/passed out not long after. I've been without a drink since Wednesday and am starting to feel a lot better after a terrible binge session. However, the craving for that drink to calm me down after a busy day is tough. It's been too long for me to even remember a sober Saturday night and a Sunday morning without a hangover. After my last binge I said "enough", but here it is Saturday night and I feel the craving coming back.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ignore the craving I've been sober for a little over 6 months. It does get easier, yet I'm finding while I hit the 6th months the cravings are sort of sliding back in. So I find myself having to stick it all out again. I know it gets better, and I would be so angry with myself if I drank. So I won't....but just like you I'm feeling the urge to! Have a great Sober Saturday!
Old 09-27-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I used to think just like you. Get the bottle on the way home from a long day at work. Thank God I'm out of that cycle.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I learned to allow myself to sit with and observe the urge to drink, and to realize it is nothing more than my addiction, it's temporary, it's usually over within minutes. Each time you turn down drinking and say no to an urge, the easier it gets.

Early on, it helped to have a list of things I could do at any moment to distract myself and stay focused on my recovery. Chatting and posting online, reading recovery books and meditation books, exercise, cleaning house, and going to Continuing Care meetings were all on my list.

Time to carve out some new habits and routines for yourself
Old 09-27-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Zackman - I move your thread here from Stories of Recovery. You'll get feedback this way

Craving can be tough - until we learn we don't have to give into them, and they pass anyway.

Fora little discomfort you'll learn a great lesson

here are some other tips:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 09-27-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hang on, zackman. A drink is a "reward" that people like us cannot afford. Thanks for sharing your situation and thinking tonight.

You don't ever have to drink again.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zackman View Post
The big thing for me after a 13 hour workday on Saturdays is stopping at the store and picking up a bottle. Usually by the time I've been home 15 minutes I'm already buzzed and then asleep/passed out not long after. I've been without a drink since Wednesday and am starting to feel a lot better after a terrible binge session. However, the craving for that drink to calm me down after a busy day is tough. It's been too long for me to even remember a sober Saturday night and a Sunday morning without a hangover. After my last binge I said "enough", but here it is Saturday night and I feel the craving coming back.
I did good last night and woke up feeling great because of it! This will be the first Sunday in forever I have the chance to really enjoy. Thanks for the words of wisdom and encouragement last night. It made all the difference in my decision making on what to do and not do last night. Thanks so much!
Old 09-28-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

After 6 months or so the cravings pretty much reduced to a very minor level. just ignore it and carry on.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I really needed to change my routines at weekends, plan new things to do.

Rather than do the same thing minus alcohol, that just created a lot of time on my own, with my thoughts, not a great recipe!!
Old 09-28-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Zackman,

Do you think that craving will again prevail upon you? If it does, I think you will again find yourself under the gun because binge sessions are no good. I cannot guarantee you could be smashed away by the craving, but I believe you must do something good to yourself by staying far away from it.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

when i think of cravings i always fast forward the situation to the bad bits quickly rewind it and realise im not walking down that road

i can feel **** at times but i will not drink
Old 09-28-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The perception of drinking alcohol has nothing to do with the reality of it. You may think you deserve a drink after a long work day and that will relax you and destress you. The reality is it will cause you more stress and anxiety over time. Alcoholism is a magician. It fools you with every drink. What it really does is rob you of health and happiness. The more you buy into it, the greater the changes it destroys you. Eventually taking your life. Do not crave alcohol. Its poison. Pure poison.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I too think of alcohol as a "reward" after a long day, after my husband and I reunite after work, after we meet up with friends.......

This is yet another important piece of the puzzle. I need to deal with my reward system feelings...........