Notices

Living Sober

Old 09-27-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Living Sober

I was reading the book "Living Sober" in hospital after my relapse and decided to definatley take a few of the suggestions. I am on an overnight pass right now and have to spend one more night (providing the pass goes well) in hospital and to be released Monday.

A couple of the tips have really changed my thinking. One was freshen up or change your appearance somehow... because a lot of us have neglected ourselves while using. So today I got my nails done. Tomorrow I am getting my hair cut. Next Saturday... which will be (god willing) day 14... my partner is going to take me shopping and I am going to pick out a new outfit. We have decided to somehow celebrate every week (on Saturdays) that I manage sober. Whether it be going out to dinner or a small treat. Already I have found this helpful.

Another tip that got me was so simple... the only thing that needs to be avoided is the first drink for one day... sometimes one hour. so simple... but I never really thought of it that way.

Another was, of course, telephone and online therapy TALKING to another alcoholic in some way everyday. Which is something id slacked off on... and my meetings as well. when I am released from hospital I plan to be back to a meeting a day and finding/reengaging in hobbies that are safe, sane, and sober.

This book is helping me tons and I would suggest it to anyone
Old 09-27-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

JB, thanks for the mini-review of Living Sober. It's one of my favorite AA books. There is a tremendous amount of practical tips for staying sober and living without drinking.

The book, based on the experience and learning of oldtimers , points out traps and danger signals for us in recovery. It helped me a lot.

Good luck on your journey in recovery.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

We have decided to somehow celebrate every week (on Saturdays) that I manage sober.
in the beginning i'd reward myself with a little something now and then. I figured all the money i was now saving it'd be ok to treat myself within reason etc... it kinds boosted my spirits too.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It helped me a lot early on too. I used to go to a meeting that was based on it. We'd read a section each week. I was stoked to be able to purchase a copy at the AA convention a while ago.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love a plan, in early recovery I was so intense, it was so important to me that I got it this time. I read and watch so much on addiction. I love the makeover idea...
What you are doing is wonderful.
Thank you for sharing.
I dont know if you have looked at the secular section of this forum there is some great information on RR and AVRT...that helped me so much, it taught me to address my AV and shut it down when things got sketchy.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I also think Sober Living is a great much overlooked book. Good understandable reading and good for us old timers as well.

BE WELL