Notices

A Million Pieces

Old 07-24-2004, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Million Pieces

Hello this is Felicia – alcoholic and drug addict and nearly criminal, currently reading the book - A Million Little Pieces by James Frey, suggested by somebody on this site. I thought he would tell me and fellow alcoholic sufferers how he had done the 12 steps and now lives happy ever after.

To my amazement I found that he is actually not a dedicated follower of Bill Wilson’s 12 steps, but got his strength from something else – definitely NOT God or a Higher Power.

I can’t wait to read the end of this book because I felt all along that surly I would or should not have to believe in a God or Higher Power to quit drinking?

I have been in clinics and on recovery programs forcing me to go to AA meetings. I was brainwashed that without AA I would die. I have survived without AA for a few years, but underneath was this feeling that somehow I need to follow these 12 steps to get better. Bill Wilson had a “flash of light� whilst in the hospital but there is no flash of GOD or a "plant pot" for me (one of my councellors suggested I use a plant pot as a power greater than myself!!!!)for me.

What a relieve to be free from AA and theire rules and regulations. I use my OWN WILL to get better and I use my OWN DESIRE TO STOP DRINKING to get better.

Best Regards

Felicia
Old 07-24-2004, 09:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hi Felicia

My higher power (HP) is life itself. All life. I just have to look at a child/plant/bug to see that there is a much greater power at work than I can possibly imagine. My HP doesn't have a big white beard and sit on a cloud. He won't strike me down dead if I don't go and worship him/her/it every week. My power is just life itself.

By the way, I liked the book - quite graphic - but I liked it.

AA to me is a support group. Take what you need from it and leave what you don't want/like. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.

much love

JC
Old 07-24-2004, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Awesome book.
I will read it again I'm sure.
Here's a review for anyone who cares to know more about it.
http://www.popmatters.com/books/revi...e-pieces.shtml
Nice to see you again Felicia.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi Felicia, good for you. I like the thought of having a plant pot for a higher power. The AA only works for people because that's what they want. If you want Line Dancing to work - That will be just as effective, but far less socibly acceptable!
Glad you feel upbeat.

Deg
Old 07-24-2004, 11:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Felicia,

I know where you're coming from. I've been to dozens of AA meetings myself and it's never 'clicked' with me.

AA and its methods have worked for many people, but it isn't going to be for everyone. The important thing is not to see that as the only way to go about obtaining sobriety. There are many different ways and the important thing is not to give up trying to find the way that works for you.

I do think it's hard to do without the help of someone else though and the best possible help comes from people who've been through it themselves. That's a far better qualification for dealing with alcoholism than any university degree in 'addiction counselling' or whatever. One thing AA does provide is contact with such people, so it may be worth going along to AA meetings even if you don't plan on following their exact philosophy. I talk regularly with a person I met through AA, although neither of us actually get on particularly well with the AA methods.

Keep trying and I wish you the very best of luck.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I got sober without AA. But my addiction did resurface years later in the form of co-dependency. I was going insane litterly. I chose alanon over going to a mental ward it took time and effort on my part to get the steps. I am glad I did start working the 12 steps. I find that now I can aply them to just about any situation especially the baffeling ones. My life is much more balanced as a result.

Ps:Now I do attend AA or, NA about once a month. Alanon or, naranon about once a week.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hi there. I read the book. I loved it. Thought it was a great book. I believe that there are peole out there that do recover using other methods, groups, beliefs. I think there are people who use SR to stay sober and clean. That doesn't mean it has to change the way anyone else gets or stays sober. The only thing that matters, is that we get clean and sober, and remain that way. Love ya all, Becky
Old 07-25-2004, 10:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JaySee
Hi Felicia

My higher power (HP) is life itself. All life. I just have to look at a child/plant/bug to see that there is a much greater power at work than I can possibly imagine. My HP doesn't have a big white beard and sit on a cloud. He won't strike me down dead if I don't go and worship him/her/it every week. My power is just life itself.

By the way, I liked the book - quite graphic - but I liked it.

AA to me is a support group. Take what you need from it and leave what you don't want/like. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.

much love

JC

ing at JC
Old 01-10-2006, 06:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dear Readers,

I'm a journalist writing an article for Times Online, the website of the Times, about James Frey's book. An investigative website in the US has published a report, here, saying that much of the book was fabricated.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...amesfrey1.html

I am keen to talk to people with addictions who read the book and whether they found it useful and whether it matters if was true or not.

It would be great if you could drop us a line if you wanted to talk about it. I am at [email protected] Thanks and yours,

Sam Knight
Old 01-10-2006, 08:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

Originally Posted by JaySee
Hi Felicia

My higher power (HP) is life itself. All life.

AA to me is a support group. Take what you need from it and leave what you don't want/like.

I agree. I agree. I agree. I found my core beliefs by searching within myself for them. I grew up Catholic and for many people it's a wonderful religion but for me it was not. I questioned to many things and the Nun's would always punish me for questioning ... confession, why it's okay for people to get divorced (annulled) if they paid the church enough money (my parents did this) and a host of other contradictory crap. Again... *my* experience.

I found my HP inside me. Guess the best book I could say describes my HP is one by Gary Zukav - The Seat of the Soul.

Anyway, you have to find what will work for you. I do go to AA meetings because for me right now I love the stories of success I hear at them... and I love the stories of struggle. I can always find someone to relate to on some level. I need that right now. I need the support and unconditional friendships I have found there. Well.. one condition... you do gotta want to quit. We actually had some guy come drunker than a skunk and he was sobbing about his failures (pity party) and by the time he left he had gotten a swift kick in the ass by a lot of people. I can't imagine his balls.... comin to a meeting drunk. But... he's been sober now for a couple of weeks. That's 2 more weeks of sobriety than he had in his life before.

It aint for everyone but One size never has fit all.

~hugs~

Suga
Old 01-12-2006, 01:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

We actually had some guy come drunker than a skunk and he was sobbing about his failures (pity party) and by the time he left he had gotten a swift kick in the ass by a lot of people. I can't imagine his balls.... comin to a meeting drunk. But... he's been sober now for a couple of weeks. That's 2 more weeks of sobriety than he had in his life before.
Right there we have evidence that AA works. This guy must be doing a few things the AA people suggested.