Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

just curious if there are others with a similar addiction path to my own

Notices

Old 09-17-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ive done the whole heroin opiate thing, than I got really into speed and coke, but my one constant and most destructive demon has always been alcohol..

Anyone else?
Old 09-17-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Well, I have not done heroin or coke, but opiates make me violently ill, marijuana gives me raging panic attacks, and cigarettes - I tried really hard to get addicted to those too but my body rejected the 700 plus chemicals in them like it was its job (cuz it kinda is)

But give me a single sip of alcohol, even in the form of vanilla extract, and I will have to sit on my hands and bite my lip to try not drink until I'm black.

Fortunately, I used to hang like death was looming every second of the day, so the morning drink and I never got acquainted.

I am quite sure that I'm alive today purely because I couldn't bear to try to stomach the hair of the dog.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

i never did the heroine coke thing i did a lot of the other stuff however. but one thing that was true in the end for me was alcohol was pretty much the main culprit all along. i was able to quit all that other stuff pretty easily but alcohol was always the stronghold the man behind the curtain was always booze. sometimes the booze told me no no no its the pot or its the lsd or its the cigarettes but that was all a lie in the end for me it was always the booze. deceptive little bugger that booze is! it had me blaming everything but booze!
Old 09-18-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

Very similar. I began using pot and alcohol then quickly became a teenage garbage head. If it was there I did it. Spent a few years doing heroin and tuinal on and off before I got sober. Alcohol was always there. It was the first and last substance I abused.

-allan
Old 09-18-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smoked a little pot back in the day but it never was my vice. Alcohol was always my love.

I think that is why some get caught up in the idea that if they stop alcohol but still do side dishes they will be okay but when the side dishes fail to produce the effect they really want, they go back to drinking.

It is sort of like you want ice cream, you crave ice cream and you had it everyday but you decide it is to fattening so you figure you will switch to yogurt. It works for a while until you find yourself in the frozen food isle with a spoon in one hand and a gallon of chocolate ice cream in the other and wonder how you got there.

I could never substitute. It had to be abstinence from everything or I was grabbing the spoon before I knew it!
Old 09-18-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to double up with coke and alcohol to the point of black hole oblivion. A lot of times I wouldn't remember taking drugs but I could tell the next morning if I did the night before because I would have a scab under my lip from grinding my teeth. I quit using drugs a few years ago since I left my friends and started mostly staying inside, but if I was out drinking and someone offered it to me I'd probably take it.

Alcohol has always been the worst by far, though, both in terms of temptation and how it makes me behave.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Omnivore

I've used various substances. I've enjoyed almost all of the others more than drinking. However, the others, being illegal are easier to avoid and therefore quit and not be tempted. If I go out my front door and travel randomly in any direction, I will come to a place to buy alcohol within a very few minutes. I can't go out after 5 PM to any function without it being offered to me for free. Even if I were to still hang around places with illicit drugs available, it would not be that easy. I've never seen anyone handing them out for free. The availability of alcohol makes it the hardest thing I've ever quit. I had to take Antabuse or I'd still be drinking today.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes I can definitely relate. I think it's safe to say a majority of us alcoholics have the potential to abuse other drugs as well. Welcome!
Old 09-18-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
quat

I liked and really liked other 'buzzes' , but always loved the alcohol buzz , definitely the hardest one to step away from.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

ive been clean from cocaine for over 3 years

Sober from Alcohol 14 months

Think i met you in chat we spoke of Mass Effect

be well