Notices

I feel stuck & helpless

Old 09-17-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
I just read in a book about knowing the truth verses being aware of the truth. The author went on to tell us about how sometimes we need a taste of the truth in order to be aware of the truth. that simply knowing it isnt enough. he went on to tell a story about a guy who smoked cigarettes and said who cares the ancient egyptions never smoked and there all dead we are all gonna die of something what does it matter. this guy then went to the doctor the doctor told him he had 2 spots on his lungs and he wanted him to come back in a few weeks to discuss options etc.. This guy never smoked again after that. why? because while he always knew it could kill him he was not aware of it till this happened. Sometimes we need a taste of the truth so that it can sink in was the authors point.

From what your saying you've had a taste of it I think your aware of it. It just needs to sink in some.
Great post! Thank you - It is sinking in - I was tempted to go and get some beer and remembered how I get up out of bed..Sick...intolerant...So - I started putting together a pot of Chili - Took my mind right off the beer idea.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pulltight View Post
Yes. Give it up for a however long it takes. Do whatever it takes.

I was a busy drunk, at least 8 beers to mow the yard or 6 to take to my range, my grill wouldn't ignite without out a beer in my hand (think its defective), always had to be drinking when I was working on projects/hobbies I love.
I have put most those things on hold for now, until I get a better handle on my self discipline.

They are all right here waiting for my return when I'm ready. Yours will be too!

If you don't have your health everything you love goes away anyway.
You can do this!
I am glad I came back here - all of you sound like me! Every darn thing I did involved a beer. I know I can do this. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
quat

Blues
If you have to, stock up on chili ingredients, beats heck out of the alternative ! you got this
Old 09-17-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aasharon90 View Post
I use to cut the grass, manicure it to
perfection with alcohol near by, then fall
out on the grass with a good sense of
accomplishment.

I got sober and into recovery and the
grass still needed to be cut and completed
it once again with perfection.

I learned to take pride in our yrd. and
in how I maintain myself thru out the
years before, during and after alcohol.

Being responsible in recovery doesnt mean
I have to slack off my responsibilities in life
or my own self.

As far as sports, I never was quite interested
in watching them on tv, but I learned in recovery
and sobriety to enjoy them, especially golf and
a few other sports and there is no poison available.

Maybe ice cream or a good meal.

Ive ALWAYS luved music and even more
so when I entered recovery. Gotta have
my music. It fills my heart, mind and soul.
Thank you! It was you who brought me back here :-)
Old 09-18-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Letting everyone know I had a great night last night - Following Dr. orders, slept from 7 PM till 6 AM and feel like I can take on the world. Today is landscaping day - I'll be busy for hours on end :-) Then cook for the family and exercise the dog...
Old 09-18-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bluesman1952 View Post
I have been on and off these boards for a few years and really never was able to totally quit drinking. I average around 8 - 10 beers nightly, then sometimes go a week sober. I have many responsibilities here at home as my wife is working and I am retired, so the fact that I am needed here, deprives me of going to a rehab. I just can't. I saw my Dr. yesterday and he gave me some stuff to take. I know medical advice is not allowed here so that isn't what I am looking for. I guess I am just venting. I am afraid to take what he gave me, so that is why I feel stuck. I have tried AA with no success. Meetings are far from my rural home and I just can't do it - I am busy all day here tending to everything from cooking, cleaning, the dog, the bank, you name it, I do it. Thanks for "listening". I will keep giving it the good old college try!

i don't understand, you are afraid to take what the Dr gave you because of what reason? Was it to help you come off Alcohol. If yes, then why are you scared to take it, do you not wish to come off?
Old 09-18-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MiniBK View Post
i don't understand, you are afraid to take what the Dr gave you because of what reason? Was it to help you come off Alcohol. If yes, then why are you scared to take it, do you not wish to come off?
It is hard to explain here because I don't want to break forum rules and discuss medicines, but I did start the stuff he gave me and am continuing to take it. Slept great last night, stayed sober, and I am on my way to an afternoon meeting in town today...So - this time I mean business :-)
Old 09-18-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again Bluesman,

Sorry you're still struggling.

Originally Posted by Bluesman1952 View Post
I have many responsibilities here at home as my wife is working and I am retired, so the fact that I am needed here, deprives me of going to a rehab. I just can't.
yeah, I could never do something good for myself and my recovery because of responsibilities...yet I could always fit in daily drinking with those responsibilities.

I saw my Dr. yesterday and he gave me some stuff to take. I know medical advice is not allowed here so that isn't what I am looking for. I guess I am just venting. I am afraid to take what he gave me, so that is why I feel stuck. I have tried AA with no success. Meetings are far from my rural home and I just can't do it - I am busy all day here tending to everything from cooking, cleaning, the dog, the bank, you name it, I do it. Thanks for "listening". I will keep giving it the good old college try!
I think you should take a step back and look at what you're ingesting everyday Bluesman.

to worry about medication described for you by a professional seems a little silly in that light...but again, I did the same.

If you don't want to take the meds thats your call...

but until you make some different decisions and commit to doing something new - and give that something a decent run - chances are you're never going to get out the the circular rut you're in, man.

I'm not trying to be harsh...it's simply the way it is.

D
Old 09-18-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi again Bluesman,

Sorry you're still struggling.

yeah, I could never do something good for myself and my recovery because of responsibilities...yet I could always fit in daily drinking with those responsibilities.

I think you should take a step back and look at what you're ingesting everyday Bluesman.

to worry about medication described for you by a professional seems a little silly in that light...but again, I did the same.

If you don't want to take the meds thats your call...

but until you make some different decisions and commit to doing something new - and give that something a decent run - chances are you're never going to get out the the circular rut you're in, man.

I'm not trying to be harsh...it's simply the way it is.

D
Dee - I just posted a minute ago that I am taking what has been prescribed. I have to trust the doc. I took the first step and I feel this time I've nailed it :-) You aren't harsh....You just care THAT much :-)
Old 09-18-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Blues
If you have to, stock up on chili ingredients, beats heck out of the alternative ! you got this
I am doing that - Getting back to my cooking skills for a bit. It keeps me busy, makes the family happy, and I don't drink...
Old 09-18-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Our posts crossed
I think you made a good decision. If you have any concerns see your Dr

D
Old 09-18-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Our posts crossed
I think you made a good decision. If you have any concerns see your Dr

D
Yes - the posts crossed and that's OK - I decided I can't do this alone, so I give in to what I feel is the best treatment. I feel like a new person today.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
zjw

there is a guy in the aa group i go to who makes cookies to keep himself busy. it started in his early sobriety and now he just does it for fun etc.. he made so many cookies he said and he'd give them to neighbors or whomever it made him feel good gave him something to do.

seems stupid a grown man baking cookies but it worked for him. I went throught he same cookie phase myself. I went from phase to phase when i sobered up just to stay busy and keep from drinking. and its funny a lot of that stuff i dont do much anymore and i got my family begging me to make them bread homemade pizza cookies etc.. and i'm like gosh i guess i have not done any of that in a while!
Old 09-18-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
there is a guy in the aa group i go to who makes cookies to keep himself busy. it started in his early sobriety and now he just does it for fun etc.. he made so many cookies he said and he'd give them to neighbors or whomever it made him feel good gave him something to do.

seems stupid a grown man baking cookies but it worked for him. I went throught he same cookie phase myself. I went from phase to phase when i sobered up just to stay busy and keep from drinking. and its funny a lot of that stuff i dont do much anymore and i got my family begging me to make them bread homemade pizza cookies etc.. and i'm like gosh i guess i have not done any of that in a while!
Not a stupid idea at all - I am a retired chef/musician. I also love gardening - I am doing well right now and hopefully this will continue. Thank you so much for caring!