Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

if I could be sober for JUST 30 days maybe God would let me in

Notices

Old 09-16-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ive since taken the stance that THIS is my life until death...I haven't went over 2 wks..im thinking my life as a PERSON a INDIVIDUAL is meaningless...im nothing but a mascot...and mascots come and go.....a mascot for alcoholism "dont be like him" .
...dont be like me.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I went to aa for support. I'm not saying that it's the only way to become sober but having good support around you makes the difference in my opinion. If, your friends and family are heavy drinkers I'd keep my distance from them for starters.
You're trying to do a 360 on your life style. It is a difficult thing to do but, the rewards of getting sober make the effort worth it.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Not to oversimplify it, but if you stay sober today, and keep on staying sober for today, you'll soon have thirty days sober. It is possible. I didn't think I could stay sober but so far have been sober going on five years, so it can be done.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nocturnal, I'm gonna be harsh here, YOU don't have to accept this future!!

Your addiction is YOUR choice, but you choose to continue with it, you choose to continue to drink!!

The reality is, I don't think you care enough or want Sobriety enough to change, you are selling yourself short and that is why you put up with the way things are!!

The reality is you can change, everyone has the ability to be Sober, the resources are there, you just don't have the motivation to put in the work and the effort!! You are simply just comfortable with the way things are!!

You have to want to change!!
Old 09-16-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nocturnal you have so much more power than you realise, it takes work and it can be challenging, especially in the first 30 days.
If you choose to be the mascot for alcoholism you will be....."As the man thinketh"

That voice inside your head that feeds you compelling dribble to drink can also be challenged and shut and talked down...

Have you read AVRT, RA?..I found it wonderful in dealing with that voice in my head, the addictive voice, that voice that had me jumping in the car and driving me to the bottle shop...

SMART, AA, NA...all of these are great groups for support, especially in the early days of sobriety.
Keep posting here, talking helps..
Old 09-16-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nocturnal, I feel your pain. I could have written that before I came to SR. I even asked God how I could not be allowed into heaven for something that I could not control. I learned over time, I can control it. One day at a time, sometimes, one minute at a time, but they all string together, and one day you realize you are sober. You can do this. Don't ever give up.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It sounds like you're having a really bad day. I don't have much more time than you and things really do change for the better if you give yourself a chance. I had those exact same thoughts the first 2 weeks. Why even bother I thought and I'm SO GLAD I didn't give in to those thoughts. I'm 65, no guy, no family except for 2 sons who rarely call, no grandkids. I live alone with 2 dogs isolated in the country with little $....and I' finally happy after 15 solid years of hell. My mind is being renewed and I hardly recognize myself. I feel good just doing nothing! If it can get better for old me....a whole new life is there for you. Take it!
Old 09-16-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm sure God doesn't have a 30 day sobriety requirement Nocturnal. Maybe God has been responding, but you haven't quite seen the message?
Old 09-16-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm sure God doesn't have a 30 day sobriety requirement Nocturnal. Maybe God has been responding, but you haven't quite seen the message?
Old 09-16-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nocturnal,
that's just it; you've hit the nail on the top: THIS is your life until death.
this is it.
you don't HAVE to spend it drinking, or as a mascot.
in fact, if you tell yourself you're "just" a mascot, it's a lie. behind it all, this is your real life, passing minute by minute.
whatever God may or may not be, i don't think she/he/it/them/---/doles out rewards for being sober 30 days, or 29 days or 31. or 1094.
in a real way, being sober is its own reward.
you don't have to keep being like this; you can take your own example and not be like the mascot you describe yourself as.
there's a real person in there, and you know it and we know it.
if you're feeling like a shell, or a puppet, or all surface and pretense....we've all been there. if the feeling of meaninglessness and hollowness is severe, getting some help might be useful.
but stopping drinking and letting yourself experience the changes ongoing life sober can bring has a good chance of you seeing whole new possibilities for yourself.

you can do this.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you everybody . I will work on it...if for nothing else just so I can belong here.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi nocturnal. The twelve steps are a path to God, and thirty days is plenty of time to get them done and have that spiritual awakening. If you can't find a sponsor to help you, try a beginners class if one is running near you. They take the steps over four weeks. You can do it if you have a mind to.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

God will let you in anytime you want in Noc...but I think sometimes we get in our own way.
Ive since taken the stance that THIS is my life until death.
I was convinced of that too. It was Utter BS.

It took a *lot* of work and a *lot* of change and a *lot* of asking for help....but I changed my life.

You can too, I promise

ps you had two identical threads so I merged them

D
Old 09-17-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee..and thank you.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You belong here. You also deserve to live your life not just survive. Whatever your religious or spiritual beliefs you don't need to just get bye. You have all the tools inside you to live a beautiful and enriched life.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nocturnal View Post
Ive since taken the stance that THIS is my life until death...I haven't went over 2 wks..im thinking my life as a PERSON a INDIVIDUAL is meaningless...im nothing but a mascot...and mascots come and go.....a mascot for alcoholism "dont be like him" .
...dont be like me.
I had to let God in. He was always there with me. I just refused to believe.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Nocturnal View Post
Ive since taken the stance that THIS is my life until death...I haven't went over 2 wks..im thinking my life as a PERSON a INDIVIDUAL is meaningless...
What you believe is irrelevant. What you think is trivial. What you have learned so far is meaningless.

What you "DO" from this moment forward is all that matters. I am not talking about not-drinking either. That is not something that you "DO".
Rather I am talking about the actions that you take to further your recovery. Actions like;

Self-appraisal.
Sharing your experiences with others.
Asking for advice.
Following suggestions.
Being of service to others.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

thank you Boleo God Bless You