Notices

Anxious

Old 09-15-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxious

I mean I am really anxious today, I'm exhausted too. It's been hanging over me all day but for me, it's always much worse in the evening (it's almost 8pm where I am).

I'm trying to find things to focus my mind on but one thought is just running into another, my mind is just whirling today. I really have nothing to be anxious about, I'm worried about nothing but have a terrible feeling of dread.

It's not because I desire a drink, I genuinely don't, there're no cravings (that's past thank god) and the notion of having a drink repulses me.

I'm basically watching the minutes tick by until it's late enough that I can go to bed and attempt sleep.

How do/did you guys cope with anxiety, any tips?
Old 09-15-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I feel anxious I try to walk my dogs. That usually takes my mind off what's bothering me and gives me exercise and fresh air, which is always good.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

i'd go for a walk or start doing wtvr chores I could conjur up. I basicly would get busy. Or i'd sit and make tea and read a book.

in the begining it stunk i had anxiey for no reason at all or i'd have anxiety for every reason under the sun it seemed to never let up. it does get better. Although I think some people are just more prone to it then others. I have a friend of mine who recently expierenced some bad anxiety for the first time and when i mentioned thats how my life is 24/7 if i'm not careful he was horrified to hear that someone could live like that. I was amazed to hear there are people who dont live like that So i guess there is hope!
Old 09-15-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Long walks in the fresh air was something I started to do after work, clear out all that stress!!

In the early days I used to simply distract myself, TV, online games etc, just something to take my mind off things!!

With time, things will ease, hang in there!!
Old 09-16-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Feeling a little better today. Went into the city center to take my SO for a coffee on her tea break at work to split the day up a little. Bought a game (Destiny) for my ps3 to help fill the hours up. Having my brother in law and his family over for tea later, which i'm a bit anxious about. I'm comfortable around people unless I'm expected to take part in conversation. Can't seem to follow what's being discussed if there's more than 1 or 2 people involved in the chatter.

Anyway, trying to stay in the moment as much as I can. Thank for the tips.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that going out for a walk could help to clear your mind.

Have you ever tried meditation/yoga? Both can help to focus your thoughts and calm your mind.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Greedy View Post
Feeling a little better today. Went into the city center to take my SO for a coffee on her tea break at work to split the day up a little. Bought a game (Destiny) for my ps3 to help fill the hours up. Having my brother in law and his family over for tea later, which i'm a bit anxious about. I'm comfortable around people unless I'm expected to take part in conversation. Can't seem to follow what's being discussed if there's more than 1 or 2 people involved in the chatter.

Anyway, trying to stay in the moment as much as I can. Thank for the tips.
I was going to suggest playing on the Xbox/PS3 and glad I read on to see you are a gamer. I find it the best way to keep you mind of things, especailly if going for a walk is not an option, plus drink plenty of water
Old 09-16-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exercise really helps me Greedy - no need to run a marathon, but raising a little sweat is good

D
Old 09-16-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I run/walk with anxiety it helps to talk out or yell out things that might be bothering me, if nobody's around.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Meditation, mindfulness, seep and good diet and exercise. I also commune with my higher power and seek refuge there. I know everything will turn out ok in the end.
I'm also reading a book called "the happiness trap" which is about using acceptance and commitment therapy to deal with issues like anxiety in an objective and mindful way.
Our anxieties seem very real but much of it is like a mouse appearing to us as a lion. When we mindfully face our fears it amazing how the monster just turns out to be an illusion and we have the ability to deal with what is actually happening.
As Twain said (not sure of the exact quote): "I've had some real catastrophes in my life and some actually happened!"
Worry is like being tied to a rocking horse, it uses up a lot of energy and gets us no where.
Smile a lot and have a laugh. Watch a funny movie and eat some chocolate if everything else fails.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Eaten nothing but salads, fruits and fish for the last couple days and its starting to pay dividends for sure. Got out on my bicycle for a ride and pushed the pace, blew all the cobwebs out.

I feel 10x better than I did yesterday.

Ty for the support folks.