Notices

Trying it on my own???

Old 07-23-2004, 04:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Trying it on my own???

Hi all!
I have just recently decided to quit drinking. Seems like I was drinking for the wrong reasons. I have decided to try to do this on my own, but some nights its really hard. I have all this energy and can't seem to slow down. Ever feel that way? What helps?
Old 07-23-2004, 04:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sometimes, It takes awhile!!!

Hello Bridge,
Welcome, Congradulations!!! Yes, early sobriety is hard...but not impossible...! And the answer to WHAT HELPS! For me..........AA meetings.....! I dont know where I would be without the love and support of my friends in AA......Ya, I do know........I'ld be drunk, in prison, or dead! Glad you found us! Keep talking....We are all in this together! bye for now
Old 07-23-2004, 05:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Bridge
I have all this energy and can't seem to slow down.
I think that's a blessing in early sobriety. I know that I would fall into deep lethargies when I tried to stop drinking. I'd have a day or two when things would be OK and then let myself slip into a funk. And once that happened, it wasn't very long before I'd talk myself into having a few to perk up.
Try and keep your mind challenged and occupied.
Start a journal.
And keep posting. Lots of us here use recovery programs. And those are plenty and varied. It is entirely possible to stop drinking on your own. But it won't hurt you to inform yourself about alternatives.
Glad you're here
Old 07-23-2004, 08:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Bridge - I'm twoboys, and searched for your posts after I read your recent one about having posted but not having received replies. Welcome to SR. (Lots of folks will (())hug you but I'm not a hugger.)

All I can say about doing it alone is that, if you're online with us, you're not alone.

I'm probably about where you are in recovery (I'm at 15 days, to be exact), inasmuch as I haven't attended any meetings yet. Lots of folks here are staunch AA/NA folks, and it works for them, so that's terrific. But I'm a little daunted by AA's "higher power" aspect, and so am still searching. I do plan on going to a meeting, but I haven't gotten there yet. I have picked up and have begun reading the Big Book.

Oh, and listen to what Dan says - he makes alot of sense!

Good luck to you, and keep on posting. And remember, you are not alone. You have us.

Take good care of yourself.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Hi Bridge, welcome to SR!

I was like Dan...... lethargic. Heck, I was suicidal. I'm glad to hear you have this energy!

Plan things to do during the day and night that don't revolve around drinking. Get away from trigger ppl, places, and things. I.e. get away from stuff that makes you want to drink!

But you've already done the biggest step...
I have just recently decided to quit drinking.
You've decided to try this on your own, but remember.... you do have lots of help available (AA, SMART, rehabs, etc). And you have us. We're a pretty good lot.

Please keep reading and posting!

Hey Twoboys..... congrats on your 15 days!
Old 07-23-2004, 04:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, MootPoint. BTW, What's "SMART"? I've seen it mentioned here a bunch of times, but can't google it without something more to go on.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Twoboys,

I think that SMART is www.smartrecovery.org.

Anna
Old 07-23-2004, 07:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Bridge. When I need to slow down. I have discovered that Prayer and meditation help me to relax. Best of luck to you!
Old 07-23-2004, 10:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, twoboys, and Bridge,
That is the link to the main SMART Recovery web site, which has lots of information. Here is a link to the forum board:
http://smartrecovery.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x
SMART Recovery is a behavioral approach; other programs include SOS, LifeRing, Rational Recovery, Women for Sobriety, etc. All are abstinence based programs.
You can quit with support from any or all of those groups, or AA, or on your own, or with help from family and friends.
Here's a handy link that compares five of the better-known programs:
http://www.rrci.net/recovery_spectrum.htm

Basic steps to stopping substance abuse include:
Make a commitment to abstinence,
make some changes in your life to enhance that commitment,
develop some coping skills for the stress factors in your life,
and plan for dealing with urges.

Every one of the programs I listed can help you with those, perhaps differing in the areas of emphasis. Some people find it useful to learn about the science and physiology of their substance abuse, which can make it easier to predict the levels and types of discomfort you are likely to experience. Others renew their spiritual or religious interests (or find new ones) and use that as a foundation for sobriety.

I think it's simpler to achieve sobriety by means of a program with which you share basic beliefs. But the key really is that commitment to abstinence, and making the changes to support that commitment.

Thanks for posting, and talk to you soon,
Don S