Notices

Addiction vs. Abuse

Old 09-11-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction vs. Abuse

My friend made an interesting statement tonight at dinner when we were discussing some issues with her father. When the subject of alcoholism came up (with regards to if he is an alcoholic), she said, "I think he's an abuser but isn't an alcoholic." When I asked her to explain what that meant, she said an abuser has too much too often and an alcoholic can not stop once he/she starts.

I'm not one who is big on labels surrounding all of this, but it is curious to me. Do you believe someone can abuse alcohol but never become physically addicted? Is there a difference or is "abuser" just a nicer term than "alcoholic?" Has this happened to you?

For me once I start I cannot stop and it's unmanageable in all areas of my life. That's really all I need to know.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i can sort of see the difference.
abuser be like some one who abuses only at a party or something.

alcoholic (like me) abuses all the time when ever i drink.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeartsAfire View Post
Do you believe someone can abuse alcohol but never become physically addicted?
I was never physically addicted to alcohol. I never had to detox or suffer physical withdrawals. I was a binge drinker who drank every 10 days or so. But when I did drink, I always drank until I passed out or I ran out of booze. Once I started I couldn't control myself.

What am I? I don't know the label; I just know my drinking caused be a lot of serious problems.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Addiction is addiction. If you knew someone that smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day, you would say they were addicted. If you knew someone else that smoked only a few cigarettes a day, but always at certain times, like after a meal, or during a work break, or they regularly indulged on cigarettes during social gatherings... you would still say that person was addicted.

Labels are some addicted people's way of trying to claim they are not addicted. Whenever you meet a person that tries to justify their level of intake of a drug, they are ** times out of 100 addicted to that drug. It's common. Think about it logically, "abuse" implies overindulgence... "overindulgence" implies more than the person wanted to initially have... having more of a drug than you initially intended to have implies lack of control... regularly using a drug that you do not have control over despite not having control over it... equals... you guessed it, ADDICTION.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

The CDC delineates the two this way:

What is the difference between alcoholism and alcohol abuse?
Alcohol abuse is a pattern of drinking that results in harm to one’s health, interpersonal relationships, or ability to work. Manifestations of alcohol abuse include the following:

Failure to fulfill major responsibilities at work, school, or home.
Drinking in dangerous situations, such as drinking while driving or operating machinery.
Legal problems related to alcohol, such as being arrested for drinking while driving or for physically hurting someone while drunk.
Continued drinking despite ongoing relationship problems that are caused or worsened by drinking.

Long-term alcohol abuse can turn into alcohol dependence.

Dependency on alcohol, also known as alcohol addiction and alcoholism, is a chronic disease. The signs and symptoms of alcohol dependence include—

A strong craving for alcohol.
Continued use despite repeated physical, psychological, or interpersonal problems.
The inability to limit drinking.

CDC - Frequently Asked Questions - Alcohol
It's kinda like the difference between red and crimson to me.

D
Old 09-11-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Already answered. :-)
Old 09-11-2014, 10:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberHoopsFan View Post
Addiction is addiction. If you knew someone that smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day, you would say they were addicted. If you knew someone else that smoked only a few cigarettes a day, but always at certain times, like after a meal, or during a work break, or they regularly indulged on cigarettes during social gatherings... you would still say that person was addicted.

Labels are some addicted people's way of trying to claim they are not addicted. Whenever you meet a person that tries to justify their level of intake of a drug, they are ** times out of 100 addicted to that drug. It's common. Think about it logically, "abuse" implies overindulgence... "overindulgence" implies more than the person wanted to initially have... having more of a drug than you initially intended to have implies lack of control... regularly using a drug that you do not have control over despite not having control over it... equals... you guessed it, ADDICTION.
For me, there's a LOT more to addiction than simply consuming more of a substance than I intend to.

At social gatherings, I often eat more food than I intend to. I don't believe that makes me a food addict.

Drinking more alcohol than I intended to was only the superficial manifestation, the tip of the iceberg, of my alcohol addiction.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You hit it SoberHoopsFan 3 points.God Bless YOU.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was wondering this too as I am coming up on 2 weeks sober. When I was in college, I would definitely consider myself to abuse alcohol...drinking and driving and passing out at the wheel a couple of times, as well as other risky behaviors that I would not do if sober. Despite all of that, I was able to quit drinking at any moment and not look back. People thought of this as "normal" college behavior, so, I didn't think that I had a problem. As I got older and married, my husband and I would have drinks every night, enough to at least give me a good buzz. After I had kids, I became a "weekend" drinker, but I would pound 7-8 beers, or more depending on the situation. Am I an alcoholic or alcohol abuser? I don't know. But what I do know is that alcohol has caused my to become moody, selfish, distant, and depressed. No matter what it is called, I know that it was making me feel horrible and it is a poison no matter how much you consume. Now, my body is trying to heal as I feel like I got ran over by a mac truck. Hopefully this will end and I'll get the energy that I need to do all of the things that I wanted to do!!!
Old 09-12-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lots of people are mentally addicted. They consume a fair amount at a regular time each day. They end up intoxicated but seldom get insanely drunk.

Hangovers, you bet, spending money they don't have, yes. But they always maintain a semblance of control, even though, to a light social drinker or non drinker, they look out of control.

They can find it hard to give it up, usually though, after a few attempts, sometimes many, they can, then they never or rarely look back. They get naturally happier the longer they are sober.

Alcoholics, as I understand them, will drink till they run out, pass out and end up insanely drunk most times they drink. The odd time they do manage some control, it's is out of control the next. Out of control being the over riding fact.

It's a subtle difference, but an important one.

Alcoholics can be quite happy for periods of sobriety, however, unlike the reformed heavy drinkers, it seldom lasts long term.

There are of course variations here and there, now and then, but in broad terms, the above should roughly paint up the differences.

All just my experience of course.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

The word alcoholic conjured up things in my mind that didn't apply to me. Of course I would point to the one thing I didn't experience as proof. I think most people would have to abuse it before they can become dependent. Your take on it is similar to mine. The more I get the more I want so I'm out. Have a good day Hearts. If by chance you haven't seen this video yet she does an awesome job of explaining the in side of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vjPBrBU-TM
Old 09-12-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think from when I started drinking, I abused alcohol and then a switch turned where I was becoming more dependent on it. In short, I have never had a normal relationship with alcohol.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You're doing amazing DD and your breaking generations of cyclicality. You should be so proud to give this gift of sobriety to your children!
Old 09-12-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Aw, thanks, JD, you made my day!
Old 09-12-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't really know where it came from but I always abused alcohol. I just wanted to get wasted. I have never understood normal drinking. It just doesn't make any sense to my drunk mind.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The distinction is mostly worthless. If your liver enzymes are sky high you have a problem.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How I always looked at myself was an alcoholic, drug abuser. Reason I called myself a "Drug abuser" was because I wasn't doing these drugs everyday or even close. I'd have times I'd go on bingers, but I was never addicted to anything or even close for that matter. Alcohol was always my substance of choice, which fueled my interest in other substances. I'd never say I was a drug addict, because that's a lie. I did do a fair amount though, so I think drug abuser makes more sense.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
How I always looked at myself was an alcoholic, drug abuser. Reason I called myself a "Drug abuser" was because I wasn't doing these drugs everyday or even close. I'd have times I'd go on bingers, but I was never addicted to anything or even close for that matter. Alcohol was always my substance of choice, which fueled my interest in other substances. I'd never say I was a drug addict, because that's a lie. I did do a fair amount though, so I think drug abuser makes more sense.
Denial runs deep...to each their own.

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
No, it's not a trigger for me. My problem is alcohol not THC. Caffeine is a drug, should I stop drinking my morning coffee to be considered "sober"? I could care less if people disagree with my decision to smoke pot. It's a big reason I don't bother with AA. I don't think many would accept my decision.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

I couldn't live without alcohol. Had a six pack a night.

I'm an alcoholic
Old 09-13-2014, 05:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

my first drink was when i was 11 i had access to my brothers punch bowl i took a drink and drank the lot almost lol
i got drunk went around kiss people, telling them i loved them, crying, and throwing up in the toilet purple sick

the next morning i woke up feeling ashamed of myself and i had to face up to people who had seen me drunk
they all thought it was funny as i was only 11
little did i know then that my drinking was going to follow that path many many times again in the future and with worse consequences than just being a drunken fool

little did i know that one day i would be drinking booze 24 / 7 just to get out of bed or to stop myself shaking
little did i know that i would end up hurting all around me who loved me and put them through hell because of my drunken rampages
little did i know that i would end up in prison hung over trying to remember just what i did wrong

i knew nothing when i was 11 years old and sadly if someone would of told me that my future would be like it was i wouldn't ever of believed them

if i take a drink i get drunk not just a bit drunk or tippsy i get plastered drunk, to the point i will no longer be in charge of my actions,
i will fight kick scream, or laugh cry or sleep

its a lottery for me how i am when drunk and i am so lucky in my drunkeness i have never killed anyone

i find it so hard to understand alcoholics who were mild mannered and never did bad things when drunk or who never got plastered but just drank to top themselves up ??

my dad was a mild drunk who never did much wrong while drunk and the drink killed him at age 62 cirrhosis of the liver

its crazy how the paths are different
its crazy how some people dont lose everything like i did ?? how on earth didnt they lose there familys or partners or jobs ?

yet the rooms are full of these types of alcoholics they have stopped in time is what we are told to believe so i guess thats true just wish i was one of them lol