Notices

How to approach doctor appointment

Old 09-10-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Jennie, this is how I would approach it. First off, do you have a doctor that you trust and are you ready to seriously evaluate their opinions? Also, do you have any particular known health concerns that you would like to investigate now?

If no specific health concerns, I would go for the "full chekup" without giving them ideas at first. See results. Next stage, you will see... and if you had specific concerns the tests did not detect, you could bring those up then.

All this, again, assuming you want to have a regular health monitor and have no particular concerns.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

How about? I am an alcoholic who has been in recovery for 1.5 years and I would like a thorough physical.

Let the doctor be the doctor and you be the patient. Honestly I think you are way over thinking this
Old 09-10-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Haennie, yes I do have some specific concerns and mentioned them all in the initial post. As for a doctor I trust, no not yet. But I've narrowed it down to a practice of 8-10 different doctors, and have looked at their reviews and backgrounds. I'm pretty comfortable with the group I've decided on at this point, unless they give me reason to doubt them at some point in the future.

I'm ready to call tomorrow to set the appointment.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Amy, that helps. Thanks
Old 09-10-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
I'm ready to call tomorrow to set the appointment.
Go for it then. Perhaps the best way is to really just tell them everything, like you did here and more.

This reminds me of something... something that may not necessarily be seen as serious by many, and might be perceived as merely vanity, but they were serious at times and life threatening for me. Like all of of us, I had my faire of personal challenges in my youth that troubled me. Part of this was my weight issues as a kid, and resulting eating disorders for ~a decade. And also my teeth. I perceived both my body and in particular my teeth as ugly and "not me", for a long time. Without going into details, for the teeth issue I decided to see a dentist for cosmetic adjustments in my late 20's. I told her everything about my relevant past. Turned out, much less damage was done than I'd imagined! I paid a lot for the work she'd done... but to this date, it's one of my top decisions I'll never regret. It started with 100% honesty with my dentist and then leaving it to her to run any tests or make judgments about my needs, then we evaluated them together and made decisions. Again, I will never ever regret it!
Old 09-10-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

That's great, Haennie Glad you were able to get your teeth repaired. I have had some elective orthodontics done in the past year myself. They're preparing my mouth for jaw surgery next year. It's elective but there's also TMJ so it's partially covered by insurance (15%).

Teeth affect self-esteem so I am all for having teeth corrected!
Old 09-10-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Um, I'll pass on the colonoscopy lol.
Well I guess no one looks forward to one of those
But the facts are
Not sure of your age
All at the age of 50 should have one
Can be a life saver

Depending on the type of booze used
It can be pretty hard on our insides
I have had two friends in AA
Who have had cancer inside of them
Without early testing they would be dead
MM
Old 09-10-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Oh, well I'm not embarrassed really. I mean what I say when I say I'm only hesitating because I want an unbiased diagnosis
Your doctor is really not that dumb/foolish. He/she will listen to you and placate your but they deal in facts that come from testing. NO ONE will DX you on your feelings, believe me.

just give them the facts, how long you drank, how much, any problems with lower and upper GI, swelling, pain in that area. The bloodwork and physical exam will determine the DX, but your H&P (history and physical) being truthful helps.

NOT telling the doctor to make them give you an unbiased DX is really foolish, this isn't the time to play games by keeping quiet to see if they can figure it out...plus more testing will not be covered by your insurance unless there is a reason to run them.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Jennie,

Is there a concern about 'alcoholism' or 'alcohol abuse' going on your permanent medical history? I have wondered about this myself.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I would ask the Dr. what they are required to report under the Affordable Care act and what codes will be sent to your insurance provider. Tell him you have some concerns over HIPPA and disclosure.

Since alcoholism is self identified and in your past, your are not Alcohol dependent under DSM V, you are not lying here, you are just someone who does not drink. My rationale is pre-existing conditions can have an impact on life insurance and other insurance related issues. If you are not concerned with any of these then by all means simply be forthright with the Dr. - no reason to send him or her on a wild goose chase.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Jennie when I went to the docs with struggling breathing and waking up in the night with it, he asked me what I thought it was. I said I have no idea he said I must have some idea?

So he believed we all have an agenda before we walk in, which is true, really. Being upfront can save a whole lot of unnecessary searching.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
LDT

SJ...you're not old enough for a colonoscopy yet.

I'm all for full disclosure with the doctor. I am very glad I finally came clean with my own doctor. He was so supportive and non-judgemental , and ultimately quite helpful. The doctors can't fix what they don't know is broken.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Bob, still in my 30's so I guess I'll wait. Is it smart to get one done now? I'm all about cancer prevention.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Fandy, had no idea my rationale was considered foolish, my goodness. I guess I need to reevaluate my thought processes. Rather stunned to be seen as foolish, actually. That definitely gives me some pause for thought.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Melinda & Jdooner, until now I had not been concerned about a permanent record. This changes how I feel about being forthcoming.

It seems to be something that might affect my insurance coverage? ! I will look further into possible repercussions.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Jennie,

I'm not really sure if it should be concerning or not. I think that pre-existing conditions etc. are not the huge issue they once were now that insurance companies can't discriminate against people based on them. I feel that your blood work will tell the dr. Anything they need to know. I haven't been sober as long as you but next time I go to the doctor I plan on just putting zero drinks in the weekly consumption box. If they ask I will say I'm a non-drinker in that I used to drink frequently but don't anymore.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I figured the blood work would tell all, right?
Old 09-10-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Melinda & Jdooner, until now I had not been concerned about a permanent record. This changes how I feel about being forthcoming.

It seems to be something that might affect my insurance coverage? ! I will look further into possible repercussions.
Life Insurance premiums above $2M benefit will ask for access to medical records and most visits will require the Dr. to input a code if you are using medical insurance to pay for the visit.

Its just good to go in eyes wide open vs having the best intentions and regretting a decision down the road. Call me paranoid.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I would prefer to tell them everything but now I am unsure. I might tell the doctor that I am concerned about being listed alcoholic because I no longer drink. And that I want to avoid it going on record.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Alright, good to know, Jdooner. I will ask about the code. I am going to mention this to him for sure.