Notices

The shakes

Old 09-10-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The shakes

Ive had a quick look about the net for ways to combat or lessen the shaking of the hands and didnt find too much.
One website said that a squeezing excercise,squeezing a stress ball for 5 seconds and then relaxing the hand, would slowly help to strenghten the nerves. Ive only been trying this with a pair of rolled up socks for 2 days so far, so i dont have much to report.

I was wondering if anyone had any other information they would like to share on the subject, anything at all.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It depends on how long you've been sober too. If it's a matter of days right now, you're probably best advised to see a Dr just to make sure the shakes aren't indicative of some bigger problem.

If it's been weeks then it should improve with a little time.
Again, tho, if you're concerned, see your Dr

D
Old 09-10-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Been on and off and back on again for a while now, i relapsed on friday and continued drinking till sunday, now im off the booze again (and its wednesday here in england) but ive had the shakes for 3 maybe 4 years
Old 09-10-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Again it depends on how long the off periods are to the on periods, but I'd definitely see your Dr - it may not be anything serious but 3 to 4 years is a long time.

D
Old 09-10-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I've had the shakes for almost 40 years. Just as long as I've been drinking.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by housecat09 View Post
Ive had a quick look about the net for ways to combat or lessen the shaking of the hands and didnt find too much.
One website said that a squeezing excercise,squeezing a stress ball for 5 seconds and then relaxing the hand, would slowly help to strenghten the nerves. Ive only been trying this with a pair of rolled up socks for 2 days so far, so i dont have much to report.

I was wondering if anyone had any other information they would like to share on the subject, anything at all.
vitiam shops have over the counter stuff for stress-anxizty releave and b vitiams i get b complex vitiams and drink lots of water if ur relapsing as we all have have a couple of drinks then lots of water and slow down the drinking
Old 09-10-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

B1, B6, B12, folate, zinc, potassium, E, and C at max doses daily with coffee, food and tapering are what I did and my withdrawals were minimal. Just my experience--I was a 20-40 unit all-day drinker.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

i agree with D book an apt with doc
Old 09-10-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah, for as long as this has been going on, it is time to see a Dr. It may not be related to alcohol use at all. I also agree with nutritional supplementation. For me, feeding my body what it needs to function solved a myriad of issues, but I still saw my Dr and got direction for that.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Best checking in with a Dr to be safe!!
Old 09-10-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Somebody must have found a solution for shakes in early sobriety but I don't know what it is. When I came in, tea was served after the meeting with cups AND saucers because a lot of us could not pick up a cup without spilling half the contents.

Now we serve tea and coffee in mugs and no one much seems to have a problem with the shakes. Dunno how they do it. For me, the longer I was sober, the less I shook. Probably took six months to a Year to settle down. I didn't really think of it as a problem as it was so common.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hate em .....just don't develop a psychological fix ....
Old 09-10-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When my wife and I went to the pharmacy to pick up my Ativan Rx, she had to fill out the paperwork because I couldn't write legibly.

In my experience, only remedy for the shakes is not drinking and time.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When I drink I shake like crazy. I don't shake at all when I don't.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

When I realized I was powerless over alcohol and my life had become unmanageable that initial feeling of surrender felt like defeat; then I realized it was victory. I recognized that I couldn't change the world, but I could change myself; that allowed me to seek the medical attention I'd been denying my physical body and adress the shakes, and the other dozens of symptoms of alcoholism while also focusing on my mental needs; attention that helped me focus on changing myself. It was that initial admission, surrender and victory that set the course for my Sober Recovery, the shakes, hangovers, diaheria, pains.....all fell away and were replaced by an indescribable feeling of Serenity and Freedom. 3+ years with a strong program of sobriety have kept the disease under control. I recognize it is a disease with no cure, only treatment.

I also went through the exact same experience as Ionray and agree with the remedy mentioned in the post above.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

yeah i understand that not drinking and time should hopefully calm things down, i just wondered if there was anything else i could be doing as i progress in my sobriety, like anattaboy mentioned the various vitamins.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Apart from seeing a doc (who might grant you a diagnosis and medication) time really is the only proven remedy. I remember reading an article on that. Nutritional supplementation doesn't hurt though... Unless you're overdosing on vitamins. :P

Good luck.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh and also... Maybe exercise?
Old 09-11-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Believe it or not bananas used to help me. x