Notices

Doctors for Withdrawels

Old 09-08-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Doctors for Withdrawels

I was wondering if they have doctors that will help you/prescribe you something for withdrawels or is that only done through rehab?
Has anyone ever heard of a family medical center? If so, what would they do?
Old 09-08-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Any doctor CAN prescribe medications that will help witdhrawals, but not all WILL. There are many types of drugs as well, some are to prevent seizures or other symptoms, others are purported to help with cravings. Your best bet is to simply see a doctor, either your regular one or any doctor for that matter, and be honest with them about your drinking. And don't worry, it's confidential and there's nothing you can say that they haven't heard before.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Any doctor CAN prescribe medications that will help witdhrawals, but not all WILL. There are many types of drugs as well, some are to prevent seizures or other symptoms, others are purported to help with cravings. Your best bet is to simply see a doctor, either your regular one or any doctor for that matter, and be honest with them about your drinking. And don't worry, it's confidential and there's nothing you can say that they haven't heard before.
Is the reason being doctors don't understand alcohol dependency?
Old 09-08-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by froggysock View Post
Is the reason being doctors don't understand alcohol dependency?
Some probably don't understand it as well as they should. That shouldn't stop you from going though.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Depends on if you need them, I went to a Dr and after he went through everything and took tests, he said I could safely do things cold turkey, so I didn't get anything!!

But that didn't mean that I didn't get withdrawals, the reality is there is going to be a certain paying of the piper for years of drinking, the body can't heal overnight, but if things get rough then a Dr can prescribe something!!

Make the appt and go for it!!