Notices

8 days sober - pains

Old 09-08-2014, 02:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8 days sober - pains

Had a really hard weekend, spending most of Saturday and Sunday craving a drink. I didn't pick up but it was very difficult. The initial symptoms have passed but today I feel like I have been hit by a train :-( My body aches all over. Anyone had this?
Old 09-08-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi lifereturning

I think it's very common for people to get aches and pain or minor illnesses - we put our mind and bodies through a lot, some of us for years. It takes a little time to recuperate

Have you tried hanging around on SR on the weekend? There's always a lot of support and good ideas here
D
Old 09-08-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Yes very normal
Old 09-08-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job on making the weekend. That first week is hard. Be sure and drink lots of water and eat well. It really helped me drinking lots of water. Keep up the great work.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job on the 8 days. You made it through the weekend. They pains should subside soon. It will only get better and better.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Pains are normal. A multivitamin and b supplement really helped me. Especially with the "jimmy" legs. Congrats on day 8.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh gosh, yes.

I'm on day 7 today. Still feel crummy. My knees ache.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the replies. It is a mixed bag today. The more I am able to to feel 'normal' the more I am am upset with myself for letting alcohol mess up my life, and not for the first time.

I remember now, the anxiety, restless legs, heavy chest, shallow breathing et al and the worry. Then stopping drinking and watching it all slowly fade away. I am back here again after the first scare was around 8/9 years ago. I thought I was losing my mind.
I recovered, got well, stopped drinking for a month. My mind and body levelled out and balance was restored. At this point I was sure it was outside factors and not the alcohol. Moderated out of fear until I forgot it ever happened.
Go forward 3/4 years. It happened again. Drinking returned to higher levels than before. Stress, fatigue, mental instability. This time I stop drinking for a year and everything improved again. Content, happy.
Year of drinking over, I continue to drink again on an almost daily basis until earlier this year. Now I am making concerted in-roads to stop. After getting to 60 days earlier this year (Admittedly by locking myself in), I let myself get led astray. After one or two drinking day sessions over the space of 2 or 3 weeks, I cannot stop going the shop in the week, drinking - but the anxiety took over so quickly this time - it has been scary and I had constant thoughts I was going to die. Anxiety, paranoia and an inability to focus. Horrible.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeap, the body can't wipe away years of drinking in a week, the body needs to do it's thing, but needs time to do it!!

Hang in there!!
Old 09-08-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Yeap, the body can't wipe away years of drinking in a week, the body needs to do it's thing, but needs time to do it!!

Hang in there!!
Time, yes! And a healthy dose of acceptance and gratitude for the small improvements every day...