Notices

Innards damaged from alcohol

Old 09-04-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JD4010 View Post
I have diabetes-like symptoms even though I'm a skinny dude.
There are 2 types of diabetes...Type 1 and Type 2. Type 1 diabetics are usually thin. Schedule a doctor's appt.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My guess is you have leaky gut if you drank in excess for a while. Its not a huge deal. It does mean you will need to adjust your diet. Certain foods like Gluten and Dairy may not digest the same as they did before. Foods can become more toxic because your stomach lining may have been eroded by the alcohol abuse.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My liver failed. Like, almost completely. Its now healing. I'm 33.

Bunnez
Old 09-09-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Fatty liver, blood pressure, foggy brain, vision problems,
Neurological issues, stomache pain, dry skin. Thrombocytopenia, short memory. Im 25, (1) year sober. Landed in hospital a year ago while halucinated and heard things. Drinker for 10 days about a 1,5 liters of vodka a day. Still a year later have a lot of issues. But things get a little bit better.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well, the good news is, I'm feeling better than I did last week. Still not 100%, but a bit more functional. My digestive system seems to be coming back online and the gawdawful headache is almost gone. I'm also not sweating after light exertion.

This time, I'm quitting for good. I think I just played my "last chance" card.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good news!
Old 09-09-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JD4010 View Post
Well, the good news is, I'm feeling better than I did last week. Still not 100%, but a bit more functional. My digestive system seems to be coming back online and the gawdawful headache is almost gone. I'm also not sweating after light exertion.

This time, I'm quitting for good. I think I just played my "last chance" card.
Good I'm quitting for good too. I had to get blood work done and the results were terrible so I'm done.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I had high liver enzymes, stomach issues including vomiting blood, diarrhea all the time, anxiety off the charts, falls leading to bumps and bruises, high blood pressure, dry skin, bloating...

Almost three years sober now, and thank god it has all gotten better.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:25 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'd forgotten about the sweating. I would start sweating as soon as I got up from the couch and always had painful and embarrassing digestive issues. My poison was red wine and lots of it. I don't think you have any choice but to quit, please see a doctor. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pipping View Post
I'd forgotten about the sweating. I would start sweating as soon as I got up from the couch and always had painful and embarrassing digestive issues. My poison was red wine and lots of it. I don't think you have any choice but to quit, please see a doctor. I hope you feel better soon.
Ugh. YES! The SWEATING. So disgusting.

And the sleep issues, waking up in the middle of the night from your "sleep" (aka, passed out), in a puddle of sweat.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

My GI tract is also a mess . . . I have fatty liver, gastritis, GERD which caused erosive esophagitis, and IBS. A few months back I went to the emergency room because the chest pain I felt from my GERD was so bad I thought I was having a heart attack.

I relapsed after registering here, and last night was my first night sober in a few weeks. It's insane how I continue to abuse my body despite the issues I am dealing with.

Oh well . . . no point in beating myself up. I'm not the first alcoholic to relapse, or ignore dire warning signs that their body is breaking down. Here's to tonight, which I am determined to make a sober night

JD4010, I hope you continue to lay off the booze, and give your body a chance to heal.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Innards and outards! Along with digestive problems which still haven't cleared up I'm having insomnia, mood swings, bloating. I'm due for my yearly checkup and afraid of what this last year has done. I already know I have borderline osteoporosis.

I literally beat myself up. I have had broken ankles, knee, ribs 3x, fractured elbow just from falls. My skin is dehydrated saggy, wrinkled and rosacea on my face. At 65 I don't see alcohol in my future ever again.
Looking back I'm just plain self destructive even with my thoughts and people I associated with.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

About a week ago I found out I have kidney disease from drinking. When the doctor told me I didn't have any reaction. I didn't tell anyone in my family because I didn't think anyone would care.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear that and WE care!
Old 09-18-2014, 02:22 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I have small passable kidney stones that I believe are related to dehydration. I've had many tests done and the doctors can't find any reason for them.

I also relate to the foggy brain and loss of memory that others mentioned. My brain just feels lazy even after 4 days sober. I remember telling a story about someone I see almost every day and completely forgot their name. I hope this gets better. Good luck with your symptoms.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I soon will be starting on week 4 and my digestive system seems to have healed somewhat. I'm not getting the sharp pain in the center of my belly anymore.

I came down a nasty virus last weekend and it's still pulverizing me (cough, congestion, on & off fever)...but even so, I'm feeling better than the week after I quit.

Oh, by the way, I only have one kidney. The other one was engulfed by a tumor and the whole thing had to be removed. A smart person would have stopped drinking at that point (2008). But no one has ever accused me of being smart.

Thanks for the replies, everyone
Old 09-19-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

It's amazing how many people suffer a slew of digestive issues as a result of alcohol abuse. We always hear about the liver problems but it seems stomach/throat/digestive problems are extremely common.

I read somewhere that hiccuping when drunk is a sign of damage to the digestive system. I never knew that.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Yes - Doc!

I am not offering medical advice just experience. I supplemented diet with Brewers yeast as it is loaded with B vitamins. No B12 however.....

Alcohol ******* production of red blood cells in bone marrow. After about 90 days of no booze cells regenerated, I am told.