Notices

Accused of drinking

Old 09-02-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Accused of drinking

First of all I haven't had a drink in 9 months. Yay me! Just really annoyed that my son's stepmother and I got into an argument this weekend and she said are you drunk again. Really hit below the belt. She knows how serious I take my sobriety and I'm having a difficult time healing from her comment.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Why? You know you haven't been drinking.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunshine72 View Post
First of all I haven't had a drink in 9 months. Yay me! Just really annoyed that my son's stepmother and I got into an argument this weekend and she said are you drunk again. Really hit below the belt. She knows how serious I take my sobriety and I'm having a difficult time healing from her comment.
Just a little below the belt punch is all, get over it and move on!
Old 09-02-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yay you!! You got that right

Sometimes people say hurtful things just to get a reaction.

Just think - your sobriety is yours and she can't affect it.

Hang in there!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

The important thing is the accusation was false - try and roll it off

D
Old 09-03-2014, 03:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had the same reaction when my mother called me a dry drunk. I know it is not the truth but it hurt.

I have to look at the source of the accusation. Do I really want to take the time to get angry over something, whirl about it and feel hurt when I consider the source?

No, I don't. You don't have to heal if you take the source of the accusation into consideration. What I was feeling was guilt from my past. I am not the same person anymore and today I can see it for what it really is.

I am not sober for others. I cannot people please. I have to be sober for me. If I know that I am sober, I am working a good program and I have my serenity intact, then comments such as those can be left on the other side of bridge with the rest of the baggage that has been discarded.

Throw it away and carry on
Old 09-03-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You said you were arguing. Maybe your behavior upsets you more than the accusation of being called drunk.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 9 months! That's a long darn time ... But remember, we earned our reputations through our former actions.

People will throw it in your face. You will learn to get over it or get resentful and drink again. Good news is you have a choice.

Don't drink today and see what happens!
Old 09-03-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I know I'm sober and what others say is not my concern
Old 09-03-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Families are usually the last to come around mainly because there have been so many let downs in the past. I was wondering what action you have taken to heal this relationship from past mistakes.

If you have done what you can to set matters right, then it is not your problem. On the other hand, if you just carry on like nothing has happened, that family member may just feel that nothing has changed.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

My sister who is in recovery 2 years told ppl at Xmas my sobriety wouldn't last behind my back
Hard enough everyone drinking at my gf house and them not knowing I'm alcoholic

I pity ppl like this esp ones who know your in recovery ie other alcoholics or close family

I could get angry go on a rampage smash a head in etc .... Wheres that going to get me and I don't mean the prison cell what puts me in trouble ??

Thinking my thinking can do 2 things fight or flight (or as I prefer it not bothering)

If I fight I hurt myself and everything around me

And if I think I just can't be bothered you think what you want it ain't my business then I'm left with my resolve and I don't waste my time

If I cared what everybody thought of me i wouldn't really be me would I so don't worry brush it off it was a small minded comment maybe a lack of understanding on her part

Alcoholic4life
Old 09-03-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by sunshine72 View Post
really annoyed that my son's stepmother and I got into an argument this weekend and she said are you drunk again.
That's an instant argument win for you. She couldn't effectively counter your point so she went for the personal attack. The first person to change the subject in a dispute is abandoning their position as indefensible.

Shrug it off and enjoy the double victory of 9 months sobriety and having made your point.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovered

"They are sick, too." ---This is what my sponsor tells me when someone _____________.

When I am disturbed the problem is in the mirror. I use the situation as an opportunity to change and grow. Peel the onion!!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

She said it because she wanted to hurt you. Don't let her.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You said you were arguing. Maybe your behavior upsets you more than the accusation of being called drunk.
Yes true... I have been 'quiet' with allot of things and this time I lost control of my emotions.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What she thinks about you is none of your business. I have big issues when it comes to being blamed for something I didn't do. Congrats on your sobriety. You know and we know the truth. She is just a fly in the house...annoying but not important. Staying on track is all that matters.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

There's always going to be the critics in life, even in Sobriety!!
Old 09-03-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I had another lawyer in town refer to me, outside of my presence, as a drunk after I had been sober 10 - 15 years.

Ironically, he was an extremely heavy drinker (perhaps one of us).

I got a chuckle out of it and would help him anytime if he ever decides to seek help.