Notices

Concerns about AA meetings

Old 09-02-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Anyone who keeps drinking ain't gonna be anonymous for long, meetings or not. Every cop in my town (pop. ~25,00) knows me by first name, last name and face. So does the prosecutor and the judge and of course, my lawyer.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ESD907 View Post
Hello. I've wanted to try a meeting also, but I'm in a small town also, I can't go anywhere w/o running into someone. I know its supposed to be anonymous, but??????? I've thought of waiting in the parking lot to see who goes in, I imagine myself with a newspaper over my face, with eyeholes poked out. I'd like to see what my dad loved about AA. He attended daily for years, then in the end, he'd go about 2 to 3 times weekly. HE made a nice life for himself in his retirement years. I read differing opinions, but I'd like to find out. Maybe when we go on vacation, I'll see if I can find one.
living in small town northern Michigan, I had a lil fear of seeing people I may know at a meeting. but I went anyways as I was gonna kill myself if I didn't get help. but then I learned that if I saw anyone at a meeting I knew from my drinkin days or anyone saw me walk into a meeting, theys proly be happy for me to finaly be getting help.
in all of the meetings I have attended since, I have only met 3 people I drank with. all 3 were very glad to see I got help.
I had a fear in the beginning of running into people from AA. that fear eased as I realized and accepted why I was in AA- for me and if anyone wanted to talk about it, I was okay with it as it was better than talkin about what I had done in a blackout.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ESD907 View Post
Hello. I've wanted to try a meeting also, but I'm in a small town also, I can't go anywhere w/o running into someone. I know its supposed to be anonymous, but??????? I've thought of waiting in the parking lot to see who goes in, I imagine myself with a newspaper over my face, with eyeholes poked out. I'd like to see what my dad loved about AA. He attended daily for years, then in the end, he'd go about 2 to 3 times weekly. HE made a nice life for himself in his retirement years. I read differing opinions, but I'd like to find out. Maybe when we go on vacation, I'll see if I can find one.
Just drive into the next country and check one out. I've met people like local politicians, police, and firemen or other prominent local figures that drive an hour or so to go to meetings where they can be "anonymous". Go to a big city and you're much more likely to find a really big meeting where you can get lost in the crowd.

AA fellowship holds infinite variety. I love taking long drives to new meetings to meet new people. Some meetings aren't for me but that's why there's so many to choose from so I can find where I'm comfortable.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Since the discussion on AA being court ordered is against the constitution or what not has moved to a different thread, I just thought I'd let ya'll know that since I was having such a bad night, I went to a meeting, and didn't know anyone, and it was really nice.
Am going to a speaker meeting tomorrow, and I think they've talked me into going to the Women's Retreat all this weekend!
Cause what am I gonna do? Hang out with my friends? LOL.

Day 5. Still sober and feeling much better than I was earlier!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
Get a copy of the book and read it!
I got it this evening!

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
There is no one way to approach AA, in my opinion. You can do what feels right to you, what works for you. And I do mean what actually works
I am going to give it another shot! At this point I'm willing to try anything that may help!

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
I had a fear in the beginning of running into people from AA. that fear eased as I realized and accepted why I was in AA- for me and if anyone wanted to talk about it, I was okay with it as it was better than talkin about what I had done in a blackout.
My plan was to go with a family friend but before I even had a chance to make said plans, I had such a strong urge to drink tonight that I HAD to do something different. My fear was outweighed by my wanting to stay sober today. So, I went. I'm glad I did.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:05 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Wow 4llison!