Notices

Nocturnal Seizures

Old 08-29-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nocturnal Seizures

Hello,

I had a strange experience a couple of weeks ago. This was a few days before I decided to quit drinking and was one of the factors in finally choosing to be sober.

I woke up one morning and I felt like I was hit by a truck. I had muscle aches everywhere. I was generally weak and my coordination was all out of whack. My brain was even more fuzzy than a typical hangover. I just felt totally odd and my body and mind didn't feel like my own. Muscle aches got better with time. (I was still drinking). Of course my body feels great right now after 12 days of sobriety.

I wanted to find out what had happened to me during my sleep that night. And I wondered if I had a seizure in my sleep. (Thanks to Dr. Google). Apparently, alcohol withdrawal which starts to kick in hours after you stop drinking can cause this.

Has anyone had similar experience?

pakman
Old 08-29-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

We could 'guesstimate' all day Pakman

Did you see a Dr? Do you plan to?

D
Old 08-29-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I do have my first physical in 5 years in 3 weeks. I suppose I'll ask him. I'm just curious if others had similar experiences.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

For me then aches and pains in the joints wasn't through withdrawal it is sleep depravation

For me anyway I know what your talking about its when your going through WD its safe to say your more awake than asleep and its a culmination of all things considered mind and body that you felt like this

As you rightly pointed out you said you felt a lot better after 12 days (well done btw)

I'm guessing you got a bit more sleep than you did in the beginning ?
Old 08-29-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
For me then aches and pains in the joints wasn't through withdrawal it is sleep depravation

For me anyway I know what your talking about its when your going through WD its safe to say your more awake than asleep and its a culmination of all things considered mind and body that you felt like this

As you rightly pointed out you said you felt a lot better after 12 days (well done btw)

I'm guessing you got a bit more sleep than you did in the beginning ?
Yeah, I'm sleeping better. Although I had the most crazy bizarre dream two nights ago. I even manage to get a 3-4 hours of sleep on the red eye flight back from my parents.

The 'seizure' episode I mentioned was before I quit tho. It honestly scared me. I was sore everywhere, felt funny in the head and when I tried to hit a golf ball, I nearly missed the ball multiple times. (I'm not that good, but, I'm not that bad). I was kinda of out of body for that day. Got little better in a couple of days. Few days after that along with other reasons, I chose to become sober.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi pakman I have had sleep problems my entire life I'm a tired person lol

I remember having very similar if not the same things happen to me inc the seizure you spoke of ive had bizarre dreams ive also done sleepwalking sleep eating sleep talking etc

My gf even woke me up once and said what of earth are you doing ?? Aparantly I was humping her leg completely asleep lol

I have had all forms of sleep paralysis and when I was drinking I had horrific nightmares

I completely relate

I still have sleep issues but with my doctors help were working something out for it as I don't like sleeping tablets

Think your doing brilliant keep it up there is a very interesting dream/nightmare section at the bottom of the main forum that I think you'll be interested in I found myself to be less and less alone the more I could relate
Old 08-30-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

I once had two withdrawal seizures, back to back. One awake, the other sleeping. I just remember feeling like I had been hit with a tazer and having just enough coordination to fall onto my bed. I only know I had a second one because my roommate heard me banging on the wall on two occasions.

I woke up feeling like a truck hit me. Aching, sore and very confused. Can't say if this what happened to, could be lots of things. Talk to your doctor when you can.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep I have the aches too.