Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

The insanity - knowing it's a very bad idea to drink but doing it anyway

Notices

The insanity - knowing it's a very bad idea to drink but doing it anyway

Old 08-29-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey Brach

Good on you for making the decision to get some help. I started AA just a few weeks ago and it's really helping me, especially focussing on one day at a time.

I am sure you will get lots of support and phone numbers. I am the same as you, when I want to pick up I don't want to speak to anyone at all and want to isolate. But that is alcoholism messing with my head. I now use the contacts I have and force myself to call. Or post on here.

Keep going my friend. It takes lots of courage to do what you are doing.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I could always rationalise drinking again. I felt great again, how bad could my problem be...?

Posting and reading here really helped me focus and made me see I really did have a problem.

It's much harder to rationalise drinking again when the results of that drinking last time are there in black and white.

I drank all day everyday - I'm now sober over seven years - SR has had a lot to do with that

I'm glad you found us Brach - welcome to SR

D
Old 08-29-2014, 11:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brach123 View Post
that's a big part of my problem, when I get a strong urge to drink I really do not want to speak to anyone, I honestly just give in so easy it's ridiculous. I just wish I could sit down relax and speak to somebody but I get so hyper and impulsive I just flip. This is without doubt something that needs to change. Thanks for your advice soberwolf I want it more than ever now and plan to put the work in to make changes.
Brach123, mate I'm hearing you. I've just come out of 3 days blacked-out on the back seat of my car, 4 x 700ml bottles of Vodka were drunk. Try antabuse, I found it really effective when I was actually taking them. I'm hoping using antabuse and coming onto this forum might be the winner this. Hang in there brother, we're all in this together.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone that has given their time to reply, I really do appreciate it. Whalebbelow it's funny I have read Bill's story when in rehab but had forgotten about it and turned my back on AA over the past months, partly due to feelings of shame and partly due to frustration that I couldn't 'get' it. I've listened to a couple of shares the last couple of days and they have helped me and I think it's time I got back to reading the big book, I really can relate to Bill's story more than ever right now. Plus I need more human interaction rather than isolating away so that will help, I sure ain't looking forward to walking back in though.

Soberwolf, thank you, I don't feel that great with all these relapses, in particular when I see how it is affecting my family, that's something I need to remember.

Sthlondonab yeah I need to break out of my resistance of wanting to reach out to others, I think coming on here and posting daily in the support thread will help me open up and get honest daily and then start to practice this at AA and with others in recovery also.

Thank you Dee, I think you are right in that it really is important to keep your mind on track and out of denial about the problem, I really need to get honest with myself daily and this site is helping already, thank you for your support!!!

Sidestep thank you, but I'm not sure my doc will give me antabuse, she's been very hesitant. I hope you are off your binge now and making steps into recovery. You know somebody told me recently that binges are worse for you then daily drinking as your body is not used to any alcohol and then bam there is suddenly a huge volume to deal with and process. On top of that we get drunk faster and easier and are more likely to be in black out and if you are anything like me then is when you get in dangerous situations or an accident could occur. I wish you all the best my friend and I maybe you could also think about posting in a daily support thread also?
Old 08-31-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thats the insanity of it.