Notices

Vigilance

Old 08-28-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vigilance

Hi people

Two years two and a half months but who is counting.

My life is back on track. Hard work, ups and downs, but it makes for a journey.

I just need some reminders right now on why this needs to be for life and I am not miraculously cured.

Cheers.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations, nigey; great to hear that you are doing so well.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Love this post this is great stuff for me on my journey thank you
Old 08-28-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you saying you are having thoughts of drinking again, Nigey?
Old 08-28-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No Jen not really but things are going well I have sort of plateaued. I need to push through as this is usually when I say we'll I've proved I can do it now I don't have to prove any more. Not just with drinking have wasted opportunity in the past. Maybe it's laziness.

Have worked hard to get to this point and regained some ground have some goals that should come to fruition in the next couple years and they keep me from drinking. I love being sober but don't want to rest on my laurels. Feel like I'm drifting a bit

If any of his makes sense

Thx for the replies
Old 08-28-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, it makes sense. Do you think you are losing sight of how far you've come, what it was like then?

Do you follow any program or read any recovery books? I find that daily readings keep me centered.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

Hey great job on two years+, that's awesome

I just passed a year, so yeah me.
You are miraculously cured it's called being sober. You cured yourself, you had to right?
I consider myself to be cured, I ended my addiction it's done over. I no longer have to live my life with an addiction, No I just live my life. It's so much better this way.
I have little doubt that if I were to tempt addiction again I would lose. Even if I were able to attempt drinking and muster all the effort I would to expend to even try and moderate intake, what realistically would I gain. Given my past history the effort would require Herculean effort, I'm too lazy to even try. The days I'm not too lazy, I would rather spend living my life with that kind of resolve.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Nigey,
I'm a month from two years and also felt I'd hit a plateau. Fortunately I've discovered that service and study has been the solution to the malaise I was feeling. I've also enhanced my meditation practice and changed my fitness routine.
Do something that makes you feel good. Feeling stale is normal but there are always things we can do
Old 08-28-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?" - Dirty Harry

Why chance it?
Old 08-28-2014, 09:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It needs to be for life before you'll always burn yourself if you jump into the middle of a bonfire, no matter how many days you have where you didn't jump into a bonfire

Sobriety doesn't solve everything tho, no...but I think it gives us a better default position to work from with the things that bother us Nigel

whats got you thinking a drink might be ok sometime in the future?

D
Old 08-29-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Cured from drinking alcohol? You seem cured to me. What are you going to achieve today because you no longer drink?
Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just remember that after awhile on pretty much any substance, and your ability to determine that your situation is in fact bad diminishes to almost nothing... it's simply that your perception of what is good and bad is so skewed when you take substances... you shouldn't do it.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

yeh thanks.

Its all pretty raw lots of stuff spinning in my head. Like my brains a big chocolate wheel of random thoughts and no telling what it might stop on.

I'm not sure my job helps, everyone drinks to cope and socialize so I don't fit in that well anymore. It doesn't bother me most of the time but has its moments.