Notices

Recovered

Old 01-18-2015, 01:08 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

I'm not sure you're ever "recovered", to me that's a believing you're more powerful then the substance you're recovering from and in my mind, you never are. I think you're always in recovery, no matter how far along you are. There's times in some people's long term recovery where it's not hard for them to stay sober anymore and they feel comfortable with their recovery, but I believe it's always recovery.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:10 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
I prefer to say recovering alcoholic. I will never be recovered enough to pick up a drink.

Guess it's all how you look at it.
Recovering alcoholic is how I like to explain myself.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:42 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

I know this original thread is old but still a good question and good responses.

Am I sober? Yes, but that does not erase the fact that I am an alcoholic. I have always been an alcoholic and I will always be one. I am not recovered nor cured.

"Recovered" to me, means I no longer have it. It would imply to me "I had it, I lived though it, I am okay now and the problem, disease, disorder" is now gone. I can go about my life and I do not have to do anything to keep myself from relapsing.

I must take daily steps to live as a recovering alcoholic or I won't be recovering for long. My condition is dormant, I get a reprieve but I must do something to keep that or it will become active again. Sometimes it is just a morning prayer, while other times it is reaching out and giving back. It does not have to be a grand, it just has to happen daily.

My program does not end for me, it is life long, if I want to keep this life. I had no problem drinking everyday so doing something daily to remain sober is no problem either, simple yes, easy all the time no.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

The AA big book says recovered but it also says I met a man who was cured. I don't believe in either I'm recovering if your recovered in AA why do you have to go to meetings and all that other stuff you wouldn't have to do anything.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

For those who submit to the disease concept, why not say remission?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Do your best

I forgot i posted this thread i think this thread will be awesome for newcomers

The contributions have been awesome for the record i no longer hate alcohol in the way i did then

Thank you
Old 01-18-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

soberwolf this is a cool thread I never noticed it before.

I too have pondered the meaning of recovery.

I love stuff like this.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Alcoholism crippled my life, stole all opportunities, made me miserable, full of fear, hopeless, dying without experiencing life. A seemingly hopeless state of mind and body, as described in the big book. As promised in the big book I have recovered from all of that and have not suffered from the effects of alcoholism for many years.

My recovery was brought about by learning to live a different way and that was sufficient to arrest my illness. i know if am not cured. If I was to go back to my old ways, all that misery would be back in no time flat and it is unlikely I would survive..

But my new way of living has been so rewarding it seems unlikely I will ever want to change it.

There is another aspect to this discussion which goes beyond myself and my opinions and experience, and that is carrying the AA message to the newcomer. While I don't labour the point about "recovered" it is a term used in the big book which gives newcomers hope that they can recover too. I think in this context, the use of the term recovering by an old timer raises a question in the newcomers mind. " you mean you've been coming all this time and you still haven't recovered? You mean the big book is wrong on this? What else is it wrong about? I think it's a shame when false humility or political correctness causes us to contradict such a successful approach to permanent recovery from alcoholism.

The book talks about the newcomers face falling when we talk of God. The same thing happens when we tell them they can never recover. That's not the AA message.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Freethinker

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
There is another aspect to this discussion which goes beyond myself and my opinions and experience, and that is carrying the AA message to the newcomer. While I don't labour the point about "recovered" it is a term used in the big book which gives newcomers hope that they can recover too. I think in this context, the use of the term recovering by an old timer raises a question in the newcomers mind. " you mean you've been coming all this time and you still haven't recovered? You mean the big book is wrong on this? What else is it wrong about? I think it's a shame when false humility or political correctness causes us to contradict such a successful approach to permanent recovery from alcoholism.
I should note that when I first came around and heard experienced AA members talk about still "recovering" because they recognized they are not yet "cured" and never will be, I found that to be quite attractive. I am a process-oriented person, so that resonated, stuck, and gave me hope.

I also prefer "recovering", specifically because it reminds me that I am not cured, and also reminds me that I must keep working, stay in action. I don't know what is not AA about that.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I don't think I'm cured but that's because I don't think I have a disease. I was addicted to alcohol and benzos. I'm not addicted now because I don't drink or take pills. If I were to ingest alcohol or drugs again I would quickly become readdicted, so I choose permanent abstinence.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by natsume View Post
I should note that when I first came around and heard experienced AA members talk about still "recovering" because they recognized they are not yet "cured" and never will be, I found that to be quite attractive. I am a process-oriented person, so that resonated, stuck, and gave me hope.

I also prefer "recovering", specifically because it reminds me that I am not cured, and also reminds me that I must keep working, stay in action. I don't know what is not AA about that.
It's a good thing the AA programme is not a psychological process, they take too long. Miracles are much quicker and longer lasting.

In AA, perhaps contrary to popular belief, the first nine steps are about recovery from alcoholism, the last three are about how to live life one day at a time and grow spiritually, which should continue for a lifetime. Permanent recovery is about spritual growth, not forever recovering from alcoholism. By step ten, that problem has been removed. If the drink problem hasn't been removed, then I'll give you that you are still recovering.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by natsume View Post

I have had allergies all my life. If I sleep on a bed which has cat hair I will get sick after a few days. Remove the substance which I am allergic too and I am recovered but not cured. The thought of drinking has been removed but like cat hair or pollen (which I run across from time to time) thoughts of drink appear every so often. Like my character defects such thoughts are what makes me human. The question then becomes how I respond. Me? I play the tape out in my head and it always ends bad.

I prefer the term recovering as opposed to recovered because I don’t believe I will ever be recovered to a point where I can drink socially. And if someone were to say, "Well, that ain`t AA" I would probebly reply with whatever and move on.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

It's semantics so whatever works for you. We are opinionated folks. I follow what our book says.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

It's a good thing the AA programme is not a psychological process, they take too long. Miracles are much quicker and longer lasting.
I went from thinking about drinking 1000 times a day to not thinking about drinking at all, in the time it takes to blink an eye. Much to my surprise, I never think about not-drinking either. Nothing short of a genuine miracle could have done so much so fast.

I consider myself "recovered" because I have recovered the same attitude towards liquor as I had as a child. Before I even knew what the benefits of drinking were.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

if i hadn't read in the foreword of the AA BB that the book will show others "precisely how we recovered", i couldn't have finished it.
in fact, everything i'd heard in "popular culture"/around me on other addiction/recovery/alcoholism sites led me to believe that AA is "about" never recovering. being in perpetual recovery.
what a breath of fresh air that foreword was!
not semantics for me.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:05 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Yup, there is such a thing as a recovered alcoholic.
Recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Freethinker

I'm of the "wear your sobriety like a loose garment" persuasion, and also a BB figuratist, as opposed to literalist, so whatever.

I'm recovering, yet (and!, but!) my problem "has been removed", today.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Good question

Overall I view recovered = remission of sorts. A daily reprieve based on taking actions that not only keep me away from alcohol but lead to a useful life.

AA calls it happy, joyous and free.

I see and hear others with many years of sobriety. I witness their positive actions(specifically helping others/getting outside of oneself) mimicking their words. I view this as having recovered or in full remission.

Others are the opposite. While sober, they just seem that life to them is a chore. Perhaps, they are still recovering????

For me today I am in treatment, taking the necessary "medicine" I need to have long term remission. The future is bright, my head is clear and I am open to the possibilities that life offers

Thanks SW - nice thread!
Old 01-20-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dsmaxis10 View Post
The AA big book says recovered but it also says I met a man who was cured. I don't believe in either I'm recovering if your recovered in AA why do you have to go to meetings and all that other stuff you wouldn't have to do anything.
Recovered from the seeming less hopeless state of body and mind.
I can't find in the bb where it says the next part.
I am not cured of alcoholism. I have a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of my spiritual condition.
I go to meetings to carry the message and help other alcoholics.
I have to do all the other stuff because others have shown me what could happen if I don't.
Doing " all that other stuff" gave me life.

I've done nothing. It got me to the doors of AA.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
I know this original thread is old but still a good question and good responses.
This gets me every time