Notices

Alcohol and other people

Old 08-27-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol and other people

I'm on my day 6 since deciding to quit the booze.

Already I have noticed big changes, my mood is so much better, I'm sleeping well and I feel so much more positive about the future.

The other thing I have started to notice is how people behave with alcohol around me. Here's an example I drove home from work on Tuesday. I witnessed a street fight between three men in front of a pub - one guy even dragged another in front of my car! This was at 18:00 !

Then when I pulled up to some traffic lights, there stood a woman with a can of super strength lager in her hand.

I don't know if it was because of the "hangover" from everyone's celebrations from the bank holiday but it felt like everyone had suddenly became very mad...but no it was all down to alcohol trying ruin more peoples lives ...

It's a very odd feeling seeing things so differently now.

Just thought I would share with you all...maybe I'm starting to see alcohol for the poison it really is?

Has anyone else felt like this ? X
Old 08-27-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, I've noticed that. I had to walk by one of my liquor store's to shop. Sometimes, early in the morning, I'd see the line of misery waiting for the liquor store to open at 8am.
This neighborhood had a lot of day time drinkers. They drank like I used to, only I did it in my apartment. They'd urinate, defecate and puke where they could. Fight and pass out right outside my window.
The difference between me and them? I had a job and an apartment. I drank in solitude watching the parade of those not so fortunate parade by. It was sad. For both me and them. I was as bad a drunk as they were.
I got sober in that apartment. Then the drunks seemed more menacing and pitiful. I wasn't one of them any more.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah. I agree where i work there are a lot of homeless alcoholics. I notice them when im sober. Difference between me and them was simply a job.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like Ghostlight's description "line of misery".... makes me think of a line in a John Hiatt song - "Now what you gonna do with the booze and the blush? What you gonna do when there's no rush? You cop a little misery at the corner store
Well one day that train of pain won't stop no more"....

Cry Love by John Hiatt

I always think about "the high cost of low living"......

So grateful to be sober today.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh yes....

These are a few things I notice now when I am around people who are drinking:

They can talk and talk and talk about nonsense for hours. I used to be able to sit on the porch and talk to my friends for hours. Or talk on the phone or surf the net for hours. Just do nonsense and talk nonsense for long periods of time. Now I can't stand talking to drunk people because I want them to hurry up and get to the point!

I've been at a few events since I stopped drinking and I can still feel people's hangovers. The squinting eyes, the flushed complexion, sneaking moments to just close their eyes, talking slowly, lethargy. As I look at them I can literally feel the pain because that was me every day. Thank goodness I don't have to deal with those anymore!

I have also noticed how little most people drink. And boy do they drink slooooooooowly! I have a very wide variety of people I know and in my family and I'm very observant of how they drink, what they drink, how quickly, how often, and dang, they barely drink at all! Over the years I developed a sixth sense, a keen awareness of the drinking going on around me so I could keep track of how much they were drinking so I didn't look like I was drinking that much. I had a few friends visiting from out of town and they are self-proclaimed "beer collectors/connoisseurs." I went out with them one night and the woman drank one beer over two hours and switched to water. The husband drank two and switched to water. I drank a soda and they were still the designated drivers. It's been very interesting to see how little most people drink.

I do however still look at the bars down the street and see people drinking at odd hours in the day. So glad to be done with all of that!
Old 08-31-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Belle124 View Post
I'm on my day 6 since deciding to quit the booze.

Already I have noticed big changes, my mood is so much better, I'm sleeping well and I feel so much more positive about the future.

The other thing I have started to notice is how people behave with alcohol around me. Here's an example I drove home from work on Tuesday. I witnessed a street fight between three men in front of a pub - one guy even dragged another in front of my car! This was at 18:00 !

Then when I pulled up to some traffic lights, there stood a woman with a can of super strength lager in her hand.

I don't know if it was because of the "hangover" from everyone's celebrations from the bank holiday but it felt like everyone had suddenly became very mad...but no it was all down to alcohol trying ruin more peoples lives ...

It's a very odd feeling seeing things so differently now.

Just thought I would share with you all...maybe I'm starting to see alcohol for the poison it really is?

Has anyone else felt like this ? X
I remember a day like that where i realised alcohol has got its claws in a lot of ppl like everyone everywhere Iwent was either drunk or drinking

Now iI see it constantly all the time from 'cool hip youngsters' buying drink at 9 am to the more educated artsy types again drinking 9 am

Glad I woke up
Old 08-31-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Melindaflowers. For me u hit the nail square on.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've noticed it, it's not just you. I have a liquor-cycle that rides by my house all the time! It's a huge pedaling apparatus with a bar in the middle of it. People rent the thing, drink and ride around town. But I have a feeling probably like 90 percent of those people aren't like me. I relate to what ghost light said. My type of drunk is in the gutter or in jail. It's sad to watch and sometimes I notice it more than others. Sometimes I just want to sweep them up and carry them to AA with me.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tonymblue View Post
Yeah. I agree where i work there are a lot of homeless alcoholics. I notice them when im sober. Difference between me and them was simply a job.
There is no difference between them and you, both are I assume alcoholic. Alcohol knows no boundries.